Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 06:04 AM

956 posts, read 746,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/02/econo...ort/index.html

The Biden administration continues to make progress in steering the American economy towards recovery. Notably, early data shows that states that ended the pandemic-era jobless benefits early did not push more unemployed people to resume their job search. From the article:

Although many economists rejected claims that pandemic-era jobless benefits are keeping people comfortably at home and away from work, various states have cut the special programs ahead of the September deadline.

But that didn't move the needle much in June. Early data from states that ended those programs shows that didn't push workers to resume their job search, said Cailin Birch, global economist at The Economist Intelligence Unit, in emailed comments.

These numbers are encouraging. Having a competent administration at the helm is paying off, for all Americans. It is nice to celebrate July 4th with this in mind. Happy birthday America!
What a ****ing joke. People are returning to their jobs because the free money is running out. Pathetic you think this is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 08:49 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
BLS does not use UI for the UE rate calculation:

https://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm
I never said that. I stated that those on UEI only counted if they actually looked for work. Everyone who takes about the 5.9% unemployment rate being good or bad, need to remember that it can be higher if more people had to look for work again. In several states, this has been the case.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:46 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,313,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
A bigger story than the over performing jobs number is wage growth. Wages are rising for regular folks the fastest since the 1980s as the pandemic effects force employers to open their wallets and offer more attractive wages and benefits to lure and retain labor.
ummm, no.

https://www.epi.org/nominal-wage-tracker/

Chart: Nominal wage growth has been far below target in the recovery

In April '20, all the "non-essential lower-income workers" were laid off, yes? We can all agree on that?

10 workers:

3 earn $50/hr
4 earn $20/hr (the above people)
3 earn $15/hr.

Average wage = $27.50

3 of the middle 4 got laid off. All others earned same wage (for ease of example).

Average wage = $32.50.

Guess what? That's why - in the chart from above link - wages actually spiked in April/May last year. And that's why wage growth suddenly became negative until the last couple of months.

Last edited by Eyebee Teepee; 07-03-2021 at 04:54 PM..

Old 07-03-2021, 04:54 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,313,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Job gains and increases in consumer confidence are part of a far left agenda. Somehow you worked in Marxism and open borders whatever that has to do with the economy.

The bottom line is that the extended unemployment helped people and there is no indication that the states that cut it short saw benefits.
holy propaganda. did you also see this?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1411135352178233349

not single state had said "no more" to the $300 benefit starting before June. Not one. So how could they see some "benefit" in MAY from cutting it?

Old 07-04-2021, 12:40 AM

17,817 posts, read 13,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
What a ****ing joke. People are returning to their jobs because the free money is running out. Pathetic you think this is great.
LOL. Last month righties claimed that the jobs report was weak cuz "free money".

This month a good jobs report is cuz "no free money".

In a couple more months there is no doubt that you all will be back to insisting that Biden is "cooking the books".

Old 07-04-2021, 12:56 AM

2,335 posts, read 816,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I never said that. I stated that those on UEI only counted if they actually looked for work. Everyone who takes about the 5.9% unemployment rate being good or bad, need to remember that it can be higher if more people had to look for work again. In several states, this has been the case.
I honestly am bored at this point of this kind of misinformation posted all over this forum, but for the umpteenth time...

U3 has gone from 14.1% down to 5.9%

U6 has gone from 22% down to 9.9%

Your argument has no validity based on the BLS numbers. We are nearly at full employment, which is considered 5.2%. If people were staying home because of the supplemental unemployment, the numbers would not have dramatically dropped like this.

Quote:
Nope. They already were.

Last edited by dicipher; 07-04-2021 at 01:09 AM..

Old 07-04-2021, 07:02 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,663,797 times
Quote:
even if your argument were true (it is not), how is it pathetic?

you are upset people are going back to work?

Old 07-04-2021, 07:03 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,663,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
LOL. Last month righties claimed that the jobs report was weak cuz "free money".

This month a good jobs report is cuz "no free money".

In a couple more months there is no doubt that you all will be back to insisting that Biden is "cooking the books".
Just shows you that some people are never happy.

people going back to work is horrible.

if the job numbers were ugly the poster would scream about how it was pathetic people were getting free money not to work.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:33 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,814,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Just shows you that some people are never happy.

people going back to work is horrible.

if the job numbers were ugly the poster would scream about how it was pathetic people were getting free money not to work.
This is true but I wouldn't if I was receiving enough money. I'm so over working and I say this as a person who is pretty much the opposite of lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

At the same time, there have been a whole bunch that spent a year paid to stay home and stopped paying rent entirely.

On a positive note, they have seriously gotten better at a variety of xbox games.
It's often the people that don't need to stay home I guess? I didn't mind my pandemic duties (they beat my regular job by miles) but I bet it would have been glorious for my mom and I to get paid to stay home. We'd probably be closer to relocating. Just the thought of it is sad.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:36 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,425,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
This is true but I wouldn't if I was receiving enough money. I'm so over working and I say this as a person who is pretty much the opposite of lazy.
I don’t understand the equivalence people think exists here. The free money you are entitled to while not working (if any) is almost always a fraction of what you can earn at any sort of decent job. The only people content with free money from the gov are those content to remain poor, which I don’t think comprises most Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies