Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 12:53 PM

27,469 posts, read 15,572,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The catastrophe was making it political in the first place. Democrats used it as an issue to beat up Trump, hoping that they'd get votes. Then it got all kinds of weird. Wearing a mask was something that Republicans did in early 2020, but Democrats took that over from late 2020 to now. The Lab Leak Theory was blasted as racist and political games, while being the most likely origin. Then getting vaccinated became political and here we are.

Should have just taken it as a opportunity to come together as a country for a common cause in the first place.

Perhaps those Dems that said that, "I won't take Trump's vaccine!". convinced the unvaccinated to follow their advice.

IIRC Harris was one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 12:54 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,880,437 times
You have no idea about my politics. And it is laughable that you believe these stats to the single digit.

UW says Covid death counts in the US are underestimated and are at 1 million by now. The media gave that a lot of positive coverage a month ago. If I was dean at a mid-ranked university and wanted my stats department to become nationally renowned, I would just say there are 1.2 million Covid deaths and get very positive media coverage guaranteed. Why make tons of brochures and videos to promote yourself? Just one sentence would suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The disease doesn't give a crap about your politics. The day that Biden took office there had been 426,563 deaths in the United States from Covid-19. There are now 619,999.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:04 PM

20,281 posts, read 9,769,114 times
Some people seem to either forget -- or else they never knew -- that most people might have "natural" immunity, judging by the original Diamond Princess statistics. Only about 20% of those onboard became infected with COVID, although the quarantine did not take effect until 15 days after the cruise ship left port.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-...amond_Princess

I suspect that we are well on the way to herd immunity for COVID unless this "natural immunity" does not apply to new variants. In my own county, there has not been a new case since June 9, and we have been well into tourist season for over a month now, and almost no one has worn masks anywhere for about two weeks now. I just hope that I am not being overly optimistic.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:18 PM

43,977 posts, read 18,970,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
This has been an abject failure despite months and months of fear-mongering, propaganda, lottery rewards and more.

It seems like most of the country is already fully open or on the verge of fully re-opening this coming first week of July.

Yet, only 46.7 percent of the TOTAL US population is fully vaccinated. If you include the illegal population, my guess it that less than 45 percent of the US resident population is fully vaccinated. Would not be surprised if another 1-2 percent managed to get fake vaccines per my conversation with some anti-vaxxers. And perhaps some vaccines were stored improperly on purpose (several such cases in the news) and then still used.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavir...accine-tracker

At my parents' senior center, 15 percent of members have refused the vaccine. Very surprising, as even I am okay with over 80-year olds getting the vaccine in order to help more rapid advances in mRNA science. Hopefully, they are already at the end of their lives when the long-terms side effects come.

It seems like the only hope they now have is if they require injections at all kindergartens, elementary schools, high schools, colleges and universities. I assume that this will not be possible in some states such as FL and TX?
You are just opening in your state now ?

SC has been fully open since March.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:32 PM

5,627 posts, read 2,363,193 times
Today's numbers just released

66.5% of US Adults vaccinated with at least 1 shot

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

Old 06-30-2021, 02:33 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,880,437 times
^

Many wisely ruled countries did not even have 1 day of lockdown.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:33 PM

3,774 posts, read 1,474,128 times
Quote:
This has been an abject failure despite months and months of fear-mongering, propaganda, lottery rewards and more.

It seems like most of the country is already fully open or on the verge of fully re-opening this coming first week of July.

Yet, only 46.7 percent of the TOTAL US population is fully vaccinated. If you include the illegal population, my guess it that less than 45 percent of the US resident population is fully vaccinated. Would not be surprised if another 1-2 percent managed to get fake vaccines per my conversation with some anti-vaxxers. And perhaps some vaccines were stored improperly on purpose (several such cases in the news) and then still used.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavir...accine-tracker

At my parents' senior center, 15 percent of members have refused the vaccine. Very surprising, as even I am okay with over 80-year olds getting the vaccine in order to help more rapid advances in mRNA science. Hopefully, they are already at the end of their lives when the long-terms side effects come.

It seems like the only hope they now have is if they require injections at all kindergartens, elementary schools, high schools, colleges and universities. I assume that this will not be possible in some states such as FL and TX?
It would have been best to do a half reopening on July 4th and do full reopening of America on the holiday season. I knew from the numbers that America at most will only get 50 percent vaccinations by July 4th. Joe Biden should have done a Thanksgiving full reopening. A holiday in which people can sit down and eat together again, a holiday in which people with different point a views can sit together again, giving thanks to harvest, but also giving thanks for being patient in the past 2 years during the lockdown and the thanks to life that allow Americans to celebrate this holiday. By Thanksgiving 3/4 of the U.S population would have been vaccinated. The Vaccine protection in America mainly protected the old, sick, vulnerable and educated or affluent.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:47 PM

26,495 posts, read 19,376,912 times
Oh no! Only 47.6% have volunteered for the medical trial.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:50 PM

3,988 posts, read 6,617,491 times
Quote:
^

Many wisely ruled countries did not even have 1 day of lockdown.

Many? Really? Which ones?

Old 06-30-2021, 02:53 PM

5,207 posts, read 1,817,847 times
The whole point of shutting down was to not overwhelm the hospital system. With nearly half the country fully vaccinated, and another chunk of people already recovered from Covid, we will probably not crash the health care system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies