Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 06:56 PM

1,162 posts, read 456,146 times

Advertisements

You can make a case for it.

A pretty red state voting for an African American democrat is remarkable.

And nearly winning Montana is close also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 06:35 PM

1,162 posts, read 456,146 times
Anyone think so?

Old 06-29-2021, 03:15 PM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
You can make a case for it.

A pretty red state voting for an African American democrat is remarkable.

And nearly winning Montana is close also
Barack Hussein is not an African American.

Old 06-30-2021, 06:30 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Barack Hussein is not an African American.
Where, exactly, is Kenya?

--------------

OP: I don't know if most impressive, but very, very impressive. Clinton never won Indiana. Carter didn't. And with what most Hoosiers think of Illinois and Chicago...

Old 06-30-2021, 07:03 AM

238 posts, read 99,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
OP: I don't know if most impressive, but very, very impressive. Clinton never won Indiana. Carter didn't. And with what most Hoosiers think of Illinois and Chicago...
Clinton and Carter weren't black though.

Whole lot of people came out of the woodwork to vote for Obama based on that fact alone... and did the same for female Hillary in 2016.

Old 06-30-2021, 08:58 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
In the 13 years since 2008, people have forgotten just how unpopular George Bush was at the end of his Presidency and just how badly the McCain campaign was in the closing months. No R was going to win that year- the economy completely collapsed and the Gulf War was ragingly unpopular. Katrina, Terry Schiavo, and lesser controversies were also hammering the GOP each year of Bush's second term.

Obama was able to win because of overlapping enthusiasm from his base in Chicago, Rs putting in no effort because they were trying to stop the bleeding accross the entire map, and the last vestiges of D strength among working class voters in the state.

If it were simply a matter of AA voter, Obama would have taken GA and SC or the deep south states with 1/4 to 1/3 of the population being black.

I think Trump taking Michigan and Biden flipping Ga are actually bigger shockers. When you end up with a 7 or 8 pt victory like 2008, all kinds of disticts and states are making one time flips.

Old 06-30-2021, 09:40 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Think what you want about Obama as a president. I think most reasonable adults will willingly admit that he had a damn impressive campaign and electoral result in 2008 and probably the most impressive on the Dem side since LBJ in ‘64. On the flip side I have to give a nod to Reagan for achieving even more impressive results in his two campaigns (and especially in 1984). As a Republican winning states like Hawaii, New York and Massachusetts is absolutely inconceivable in modern times.

If I had to pick between those two I may lean towards Obama in terms of how impressive his campaign was. He also had a much more formidable opponent in McCain (sorry Mondale) and also had to upset Clinton in the primaries to even get on the ticket.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 06-30-2021 at 09:51 AM..

Old 06-30-2021, 10:24 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I think Trump taking Michigan and Biden flipping Ga are actually bigger shockers. When you end up with a 7 or 8 pt victory like 2008, all kinds of disticts and states are making one time flips.
I don't think Trump taking Michigan is particularly astounding though his campaign understandably chest-thumped about it. The reality is that he won Michigan in 2016 with fewer votes than Romney received in 2012. And Romney lost Michigan in 2012. It wasn't so much a "flip" as it was pretty poor turnout overall and an opponent (Clinton) who was extremely unlikable to begin with and was under federal investigation at the time.

Obama and Reagan (and more so Reagan in my opinion) are the two that jump out at me as being pretty surprising in how decisively they won in the modern era. Reagan in particular beat an incumbent by landslides in states that were (and mostly still are) very blue like VT, NY, MA, CA, etc. (interestingly, Carter's home state of Georgia, actually went blue) and won the popular vote by about 10 percentage points. It really doesn't get more decisive than that. So for me, Reagan beats Obama in terms of "most impressive wins." Seeing places like Vermont go red definitely impresses me more than a blue Indiana, though it's still impressive.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:59 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
In the 13 years since 2008, people have forgotten just how unpopular George Bush was at the end of his Presidency and just how badly the McCain campaign was in the closing months. No R was going to win that year- the economy completely collapsed and the Gulf War was ragingly unpopular. Katrina, Terry Schiavo, and lesser controversies were also hammering the GOP each year of Bush's second term.

Obama was able to win because of overlapping enthusiasm from his base in Chicago, Rs putting in no effort because they were trying to stop the bleeding accross the entire map, and the last vestiges of D strength among working class voters in the state.

If it were simply a matter of AA voter, Obama would have taken GA and SC or the deep south states with 1/4 to 1/3 of the population being black.

I still think Obama's Indiana win was more impressive than either Trump in Michigan and Biden in Georgia even taking margins into play.

The points you made about the neighboring effect, the strong campaign, Bush's unpopularity are all true, however Indiana is a ruby red state and has been in elections before and after.

Michigan has certainly been a Democratic leaning state, but generally hasn't pup up the margins Indiana has. With Trump doing very well with WWC voters an improvement for the GOP wasn't that surprising. I'm still surprised he won it in 2016, but I wouldn't say it was quite as surprising as Obama winning Indiana in the big picture, even taking into consideration the margins.

Georgia really wasn't that surprising. The state was showing signs of moving more Democratic, but just didn't reach that level yet (similar to signs shown in Colorado and Virginia before they flipped). Combine that with Trump's continued collapse with college educated suburban voters and Biden's win there wasn't surprising let alone more surprising than Indiana in 2008.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:55 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Where, exactly, is Kenya?
Colloquially "african american" is someone who is ADOS, American Descendent Of Slaves, and more specifically does not know who/where their ancestors came from because of slavery.

black is simply skin color/race.

Someone who is not the descendent of slaves, would simply identify as their ethnicity, nationality because they know where they come from.

So President Obama is black, but not African American, he is Kenyan-American
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies