Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 08:22 AM

727 posts, read 305,037 times

Advertisements

I am not in any way condoning their actions, they should be punished to the full extent of the law. With that being said, it is my opinion that the system failed them in a huge way.

In regards to firearms safety, one of the number one rules is safely securing loaded/unloaded firearms. This is why I don't ever have a firearm in my vehicle, it could be stolen. Yes it would of not have happened if they didn't break in but if they were stored properly in a safe it would of mitigated the shooting.

There are many factors that led up to this. In regards to the females height and weight, I think the poster (I maybe wrong) was putting into context for the people who consider your average teenager a helpless kid. At a cursory view, a female of that size might appear to be an adult. Again just my opinion.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:23 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,210,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightZeroTX View Post
To much to cut and paste, feel free to click the article to read it in its entirety. I am sure there is going to be outrage because a black teenager was shot
The local news story I saw last night had their father on - he wasn't black. Not sure why that matters. Do you have something that says these two children were black?

Old 06-03-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
The local news story I saw last night had their father on - he wasn't black. Not sure why that matters. Do you have something that says these two children were black?
Did you actually click on the link? Unfortunately race has so much to do with this. I don't see Lebron commenting causing an uproar.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:27 AM

78,453 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Definitely -- bad parenting at the core but if the 'state' deems bad parenting warrants removing the child, the 'state' should make sure they have the structure to improve the quality of life for the child.
My friends have kids from a bad situation. It is a HUGE amount of work and effort and even then you have to face and overcome mental and physical problems inflicted on these kids.

That's why it would be good to know if the gal had been in the state programs for 1 year, 3 years...10 years?

If you ever get a chance to talk to a social worker about what they see and work with I'd highly suggest it. Generally speaking, the kids are so screwed up by the time the state gets them that it's a bleak prognosis.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:37 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,210,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightZeroTX View Post
Did you actually click on the link? Unfortunately race has so much to do with this. I don't see Lebron commenting causing an uproar.
Yes. And I watched an interview with the father of these children that was shown on a local (Florida) news station after the event. The father was white.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/12-year-bo...ry?id=78037996

What this has to do with is no stability for these kids. No parental guidance. No anything.

It's not about race, no matter how much someone thinks it is.

Last edited by lunetunelover; 06-03-2021 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: added video

Old 06-03-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Yes. And I watched an interview with the father of these children that was shown on a local (Florida) news station after the event. The father was white.

What this has to do with is no stability for these kids. No parental guidance. No anything.

It's not about race, no matter how much someone thinks it is.
Foster father, the girl who was shot was black, yes the system failed them, they were bounced from home to home. The point I am making is I am surprised there aren't riots, protests etc.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:39 AM

1,663 posts, read 877,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Keep guns locked up this won't happen kids are one thing but what is more likely the firearms end up being stolen and used in crimes. I purchased a TL-30 safe 30 years ago it weighs 3400 lbs all my valuables including my firearms locked away I sleep well at night even while on vacation knowing that those firearms are safe. Even a liberty safe is better then nothing if you have guns at home lock them up. If you want faster access buy a quick opening safe goes in a night stand. The owners of those firearms should be held responsible.
I know a guy who's home was broken into while he was away on vacation, thieves cut a hole in the side of his house, backed a truck up and made off with his gun safe and everything in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
What happens lot is their own kids end up dead from guns being left easily accessible.
This is why you teach kids gun safety at a young age.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:43 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 12 days ago)

35,639 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
I know a guy who's home was broken into while he was away on vacation, thieves cut a hole in the side of his house, backed a truck up and made off with his gun safe and everything in it.

This case isn't an issue of "gun safety". These children were trying to kill cops, not fiddling naively with a gun they found that somehow accidentally fired.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:36 PM

13,281 posts, read 7,330,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post

Not all safes are made the same my safe is rated at TL-30 cost $9000 and weighs almost 4000 lbs. I also had my slab in my shop poured 12" thick with rebar the safe is bolted to the slab steel plate welded to the rebar. If someone tried to pull the safe out with their truck it would just give them whiplash, or yank the entire bumper off. Not everyone wants to spend that much on a safe if all they have is lower cost firearms I always suggest a standard RSC rated safe like a liberty. Then they can get the NRA insurance for most collections about $100 a year. Those cheap safes won't protect guns from fire damage.

I don't trust kids with firearms you can teach all you want kids will do what they want to do. I was a kid once did all kinds of things my parents said not to do. Kids can bring their friends over maybe younger.

Old 06-03-2021, 07:46 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,993,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
A locked home is not acceptable ? How about a locked home with an alarm system ? Or does it have to be a locked home, with an alarm system, in a safe ? Should we also add bars on the windows, maybe some concrete pillars around the house so they can't use a vehicle to smash and grab ?

Just curious. At some point, one would think that the thugs should be held accountable for their actions.
One of the few areas I give a slight nod to the left. Being a gun owner also requires safety to be high on the list, which includes preventing access to others who should not get to them.

I personally practice this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies