Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:34 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,250,019 times

Advertisements

Seems even the post office is feeling the pinch these days. While they claim much of the reasons to be rising fuel costs, I am curious as to how much of an impact the quaint email has had.

Post office $700 million in the red - Yahoo! News (broken link)
WASHINGTON - Declining mail volume and rising fuel prices resulted in a $707 million loss for the Postal Service in the quarter that wrapped up March 31.
ADVERTISEMENT

For the quarter, the agency handled 51.3 billion pieces of mail, a decline of 3.3 percent from the same period a year earlier. Both first class and standard mail declined for the period.

Anyone think there will be a day that the US postal service is consumed by the likes of Email, Fed Ex, and UPS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 08:59 PM

14,045 posts, read 27,346,718 times
Actually, I think things such as electronic banking have had some impact here, especially concerning paying bills.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:02 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,738,672 times
Japan has taken the first step in privatizing their post office, which also included a bank and insurance company. I think opening up first class mail to competition would be a great thing.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:02 PM

108 posts, read 352,339 times
it would seem to be inevitable that the USPS will eventually be reduced to a package delivery system like FedEx or UPS.

but it is nice to receive something in the mailbox besides junk mail and bills. it wouldn't be the same to get all the Christmas cards by email imo

Old 05-11-2008, 09:03 PM

Didn't even consider that but that is another excellent point as that is, for lack of better description, "bread and butter mail" that is done monthly.

While the post office has the infrastructure of small town post offices everywhere, I do wonder about its over all efficiency as well as flexibility. Companies like FedEx and UPS have started from the ground up and in both cases have surpassed the USPS. It may be due to their having better employed technology that is newer and up to date because the USPS tracking system really bites.

If nothing else, a modernization would seem to be in order if the USPS wishes to remain competitive.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:50 PM

Found a way to save the USPS and get rid of junk mail at the same time!

Mail a brick to junk mailers using paid postage - Creative tips with dealing with spammers and bulk mailers

Old 05-11-2008, 09:55 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,329,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Seems even the post office is feeling the pinch these days. While they claim much of the reasons to be rising fuel costs, I am curious as to how much of an impact the quaint email has had.
It isn't e-mail, it's the cost to process bulk mail (junk mail). If there was a Do Not Mail List like a Do Not Call List, the Post Office would save millions and be able to close a number of its bulk mail processing centers.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:00 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,278,228 times
They're obviously not spending it on payroll because every post office i've EVER entered to do business (in Chicago AND small podunk towns in Tennessee) do not have enough staff working at the counters. I actually feel sorry for the poor people that have to put up with the idiots in line that scream at them even though they've said "they only let us have two windows open. yes, i know there's five registers here, but, hell, they just took one away from us. i'm sorry, there's only two." and, usually, one of the clerks is processing three passports at a time.

so payroll isn't what's putting them in the hole.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
They're obviously not spending it on payroll because every post office i've EVER entered to do business (in Chicago AND small podunk towns in Tennessee) do not have enough staff working at the counters. I actually feel sorry for the poor people that have to put up with the idiots in line that scream at them even though they've said "they only let us have two windows open. yes, i know there's five registers here, but, hell, they just took one away from us. i'm sorry, there's only two." and, usually, one of the clerks is processing three passports at a time.

so payroll isn't what's putting them in the hole.
I think we are over staffed in our podunk town as in the past few years I have seen a total of about 5 cars stopped at our post office. (which created a huge traffic jam in the middle of town... which is the parking lot)

I did however post one way to boost revenues for the Post Office and rid our junk mail at the same time.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:11 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,278,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I think we are over staffed in our podunk town as in the past few years I have seen a total of about 5 cars stopped at our post office. (which created a huge traffic jam in the middle of town... which is the parking lot)

I did however post one way to boost revenues for the Post Office and rid our junk mail at the same time.
but, but, but, i only get junk mail! (and bills). i need to feel loved!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies