Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 01:39 PM

16,959 posts, read 10,721,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
people that need oxygen can not wear a mask. people that have copd can not wear a mask. I have heard several attorneys say some can not wear a mask. You ever see those people with oxygen tanks who smoked for many years? yes you have they can not wear a mask. People with gas mask phobia can not wear a mask. people. people with certain psychological conditions can not wear a mask.
You can wear oxygen under your mask. As for "mask phobia," where is that in the DSM?
Moderators for US and World Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 01:49 PM

4,977 posts, read 2,291,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
You can wear oxygen under your mask. As for "mask phobia," where is that in the DSM?
Some of us are claustrophobic. Wearing a mask can result in increased anxiety, high blood pressure, panic attacks, etc.

My primary care physician allows me to remove my mask during appointments before taking BP. She does this because it is considerably higher when wearing a mask, potentially resulting in a misdiagnosis.

And before you come back with "Well, better than being on a ventilator" or "Not breathing will make you claustrophobic", etc, I had COVID and for me personally, it was a mild inconvenience. Those that are at greater risks should take greater precautions, i.e., vaccination, N95 masks, etc.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:11 PM

16,959 posts, read 10,721,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Some of us are claustrophobic. Wearing a mask can result in increased anxiety, high blood pressure, panic attacks, etc.

My primary care physician allows me to remove my mask during appointments before taking BP. She does this because it is considerably higher when wearing a mask, potentially resulting in a misdiagnosis.

And before you come back with "Well, better than being on a ventilator" or "Not breathing will make you claustrophobic", etc, I had COVID and for me personally, it was a mild inconvenience. Those that are at greater risks should take greater precautions, i.e., vaccination, N95 masks, etc.
Claustrophobia is the fear of being in enclosed places, not the fear of masks. Wearing a mask also helps prevent other people from being on a ventilator. You might have had a "mild" case but someone else might not.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 05-25-2021, 02:21 PM

45,671 posts, read 24,263,900 times
Quote:

Let's get real --- anxiety comes in all shapes and sizes. We should try to have empathy for those who have issues with wearing a mask, in the same way we should have empathy for those that are having anxiety about taking off the mask.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Let's get real --- anxiety comes in all shapes and sizes. We should try to have empathy for those who have issues with wearing a mask, in the same way we should have empathy for those that are having anxiety about taking off the mask.
I will never criticize those that choose to continue to wear masks, only those that try to force masks on others.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Claustrophobia is the fear of being in enclosed places, not the fear of masks. Wearing a mask also helps prevent other people from being on a ventilator. You might have had a "mild" case but someone else might not.
Fear of suffocating is a component of Claustrophobia. Those that fear suffocation will avoid tight places, crowds, and objects that obstruct breathing in any way. At a minimum, masks are known to disrupt breathing patterns on a psychological level.

Again, it is up to the person to mitigate their own health risks, whether it is wearing a mask, vaccination, or limiting public exposure.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:43 PM

15,909 posts, read 21,624,131 times
Quote:

If you have a vaccine in most locations, then you have nothing to worry about.

Otherwise, you are welcome to request reasonable accommodations, including home or curbside delivery.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If you have a vaccine in most locations, then you have nothing to worry about.

Otherwise, you are welcome to request reasonable accommodations, including home or curbside delivery.
I agree. Those that fear others that do not wear masks should request reasonable accommodations, including home or curbside delivery.

Old 05-25-2021, 03:25 PM

14,267 posts, read 7,067,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Yai f the masks worked I'd be less angry having to wear them at all. I still feel I have the right not to. I'm not responsible for another person's health
Most people do care about others. Especially when it's so easy to help keep others from getting sick.

The masks, distancing, closedowns and vaccines are why we have far fewer cases of COVID this spring. Because most people are doing their part... why? because they care about themselves AND OTHERS.

Old 05-25-2021, 03:28 PM

15,909 posts, read 21,624,131 times
Quote:
I agree. Those that fear others that do not wear masks should request reasonable accommodations, including home or curbside delivery.

False equivalency. It was decided 20+ years ago that it wasn't enough to tell someone who didn't want to expose themselves to smoke to avoid bars. It was an OSHA violation for staff members. Same deal with masks and the vaccinated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies