Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 10:04 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,119 times

Advertisements

The states with the highest murder rates are:

1. Louisiana 14.4 per 100,000
2. Alabama 12.9
3. Mississippi 12.7
4. Missouri 11.3
5. Alaska 10.6

With the exception of Missouri, this doesn't point to "high crime ghettos". Not a lot of urban ghettos in Alaska, for example.

The overall murder rate in the US - 5.3 per 100,000 - is much higher than in Europe, which ranges from 0.5 in Switzerland to 1.3 in France. But there are many countries with worse rates than the US. Try El Salvador at 61.8 per 100,000 residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 10:09 AM

45,345 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
One difference is that the police in the US receive far less training than in other countries. In Norway, for example, police training takes three years. The first year of police training is focused on the role of police in society and ethics. The second year, students shadow training officers. The third year focuses on investigations, before a thesis is presented and the person becomes an officer. Training in the US, by comparison takes a matter of weeks, at most. I'm not saying that's the only factor, but it is a factor that adds to violence.

Nothing is better than a little bit of knowledge is there?

https://golawenforcement.com/article...olice-officer/

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/how...nt-democracies

Old 05-09-2021, 10:26 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,989,664 times
European slums are way more stabby than they are shooty, even though knife violence is *gasp* illegal.

But if Stabby McStabbytard is going after me or my family, I want my Ruger with me.

Extreme limitations on having a gun applies to the good guys also. Truth

Old 05-09-2021, 11:34 AM

8,126 posts, read 3,669,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
53% of all murders, 69% of all violent crime & 72% of all burglary/robbery/theft.
The knife is the weapon of choice, but guns are not uncommon.
Police and ems will not go there, so no one knows the true extent of the violence and death.
Complete bs.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:44 AM

1,094 posts, read 499,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
European slums are way more stabby than they are shooty, even though knife violence is *gasp* illegal.

But if Stabby McStabbytard is going after me or my family, I want my Ruger with me.

Extreme limitations on having a gun applies to the good guys also. Truth
Yeah that's certainly true of Britain, the stabbings in London and cities like Manchester and Liverpool are horrible and they have a high violent crime rate there. And even with hard gun control, England, Australia, Canada and New Zealand all still have a lot more gun violence than you'd expect. The UK has knife control laws of all dumb things, they joke you need a license there (a "loicence" they call it) to carry a butter knife out, and doesn't seem doing anything to stop all the knife crime. It's not that bad in rest of Europe and there's not much problem with stabbings or other violent crimes. And it's easy to forget in the USA, but most European countries outside of the UK actually do have a right to bear arms in their own ways, and allow gun ownership for private citizens. Switzerland has highest gun ownership in Western world, Czech Republic and a lot of eastern Europe have friendly gun laws. Scandinavia, even though we think they're liberal the Nordic countries actually have high gun ownership and gun rights. Even in countries like Germany and France, you can own guns if you're upstanding citizen and not stupid, and each time we've been in Europe for a period, we've met and talked to local gun owners, and there are a whole lot of gun clubs on the Europe continent to make sure people learn and use their guns safely.

It's really Britain that clamped down hard and doesn't allow guns, due to some school shooting years ago. Same with Australia. But it hasn't stopped their violent crimes, even gun crimes, any more than "knife control" has. "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns". A lot of truth to that. For us here in the USA, especially in areas with high crime (and like we've been saying some cities like New Orleans or St. Louis have violent crime levels on level with developing countries), I know we feel a lot safer when we're out in a potential dangerous area, and have our Glocks or Sig Sauers with us. What a lot of the gun control crowd forgets is for people like us seniors especially, we know we're vulnerable and if some criminal tried to attack us and rob us, or be burglars in a home invasion, they'd have a strength advantage over us. For responsible and well trained gun owners like us, the firearms are an equalizer and without it, we'd be the victims. It's to the point that when we do vacation, at least before COVID19 when it was easier to go out, we prefer open carry states if we can. Just having our Glocks around means any would be mugger or criminal thinks twice. The guns aren't the problem, it's the people using the guns who are causing the problems.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:49 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
The states with the highest murder rates are:

1. Louisiana 14.4 per 100,000
2. Alabama 12.9
3. Mississippi 12.7
4. Missouri 11.3
5. Alaska 10.6

With the exception of Missouri, this doesn't point to "high crime ghettos". Not a lot of urban ghettos in Alaska, for example.

The overall murder rate in the US - 5.3 per 100,000 - is much higher than in Europe, which ranges from 0.5 in Switzerland to 1.3 in France. But there are many countries with worse rates than the US. Try El Salvador at 61.8 per 100,000 residents.
Jackson, MS, Baton Rouge, LA and New Orleans contribute significantly to their high homicide rates. As well as a few smaller cities in those. Alaska has Fairbanks but it’s just a violent place in general in rural areas.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:56 AM

1,406 posts, read 800,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
The average length of time for police training in the US is 13 to 19 weeks.

Are you counting the police academy and time spent with an FTO? Police academy averages 6 months, and riding with and FTO is an average of 2-3 more months

Old 05-09-2021, 12:05 PM

2,082 posts, read 924,184 times
Interesting.....

Here’s where gun control advocates would say that the proliferation of easily available and private firearms enable gun crimes. This is also where gun rights advocates would point to the much lower violent crime rate in a similarly governed and wealthy nation. In a way, they’re both right. Much as the US is both in line with other developed nations on violent crime, and an outlier–with several cities more dangerous than anywhere in Europe or Asia–violent crime in America is as sprawling as the opportunities to commit crime.

The cities that lead in Homicide in the US

New Orleans

Detroit

St.Louis

Baltimore

Oakland

I will let you decide what they have in common

https://www.criminaljusticedegreehub...ime-us-abroad/

Last edited by ttboy; 05-09-2021 at 12:22 PM..

Old 05-09-2021, 12:20 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,205,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
But what about real statistics? If the US has so much more violent crime, where is the difference?
You can find the difference in the graphics here.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/wr/mm6715a8.htm

https://www.aecf.org/blog/what-the-d...merican-youth/

The first link is "homicide deaths" not "homicide perpetrators". These are based on vital statistics numbers not crime statistics. Crime statistics don't usually have a category for "Hispanic", so almost all Hispanics are considered "white" on crime statistics.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ta-table-3.xls

Keeping that in mind. Here is another image. You'll notice a 14% and a 6%. Most of that 14% is white people, but most of the 6% is Hispanics.

https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/i...0817182109.jpg

Old 05-09-2021, 12:21 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There are Slums called "NO GO ZONES" throughout Europe.
Cops, EMS, or the mailman will not enter these areas.

One good thing about more dictator like governments like the Chinese, communists, and whatnot... they would go into these crime ridden areas and take everyone out, and clean them up, using force if necessary, not condone them, make excuses for them and create these no go zones of lawlessness. I would probably prefer, and do, the former, if I was in charge. I definitely have some authoritarian tendencies within me, but the difference is, with the modern left their authoritarianism targets law abiding citizens, where with me, it targets parasites, criminals, thugs, drug dealers, the top .01%, corrupt politicians, central bankers, etc. We allow all these seedy elements to run rampant in American society and they all got stronger during the pandemic in many ways.... we are dealing with human nature here though so we will never find the perfect system, but I'm becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the top .01% that run the western world. I think these rich billionaires will be their own undoing.

Last edited by sholomar; 05-09-2021 at 12:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies