Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 07:53 PM

7,479 posts, read 4,058,360 times

Advertisements

daughter went to home depot yesterday. bought a 12' 2x4. $16.47
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 08:54 PM

78,860 posts, read 46,905,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
I cant since my house is brick.

Now that is funny.
I can see thick stone or cinder block... but behind brick cladding, supporting a roof, is wood framing.
True, old houses have no plywood, unless remodeled since the 1960's.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:59 PM

78,860 posts, read 46,905,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I framed houses in the 1980's and a 2x4 stud was .55¢. ea. Late 90's they were close to a $1 ea, when I bought this house and built an addition.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:12 PM

45,671 posts, read 24,216,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
China is buying up all of the lumber with the money that the USA borrowed from China to pay Trump's Covid bonus money.

Or is it the other way around ?

That's an interesting story you have made up.

I go with facts.

Tariffs, pandemic and increased demand when supply was reduced because of the pandemic are the more likely and the most reported.

But facts -- why let them get in the way.

Old 05-08-2021, 09:41 AM

46,533 posts, read 27,391,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I have to go buy 4-5 12' 2x6....I'm afraid I may have to take a small loan....lol...

Old 05-08-2021, 07:45 PM

7,479 posts, read 4,058,360 times
3-4 years ago I bought a bunch of white oak from an old guy who had his own sawmill. I paid him a dollar a board foot. I'm thinking that may be approaching silver prices.....

Old 05-09-2021, 06:26 AM

1,664 posts, read 993,548 times
We're changing out the floor to our kitchen. Ultimately had to redo a wall in kitchen due to rot. In total, spent well over a thousand for lumber.

Yes, price of lumber is insane.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:21 AM

7,279 posts, read 4,254,149 times
I have a conspiracy theory regarding lumber. Many banks and the FED & govt. (as bond holder or guarantee) are still sitting on property that was foreclosed on or that borrowers are underwater and which they could have foreclosed on but haven't. There are millions of distressed properties sitting on their books -- and likely millions more coming as the result of COVID. Banks did not and have not foreclosed on many properties because they would be booked as losses on their balance sheet.

By forcing the price of lumber high and keeping interest rates low, it allows those properties to rise in price or look more attractive to buyers. That way they can get them off their books and pass on distressed assets to unsuspecting buyers who think they are getting a reasonable deal.

Once again taxpayers bear the burden of reckless govt policies. And in the end, every penny in everyone's IRA or savings valued in dollars is a debt - not an asset.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:42 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,445,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
I have a conspiracy theory regarding lumber. Many banks and the FED & govt. (as bond holder or guarantee) are still sitting on property that was foreclosed on or that borrowers are underwater and which they could have foreclosed on but haven't. There are millions of distressed properties sitting on their books -- and likely millions more coming as the result of COVID. Banks did not and have not foreclosed on many properties because they would be booked as losses on their balance sheet.

By forcing the price of lumber high and keeping interest rates low, it allows those properties to rise in price or look more attractive to buyers. That way they can get them off their books and pass on distressed assets to unsuspecting buyers who think they are getting a reasonable deal.

Once again taxpayers bear the burden of reckless govt policies. And in the end, every penny in everyone's IRA or savings valued in dollars is a debt - not an asset.
I have been considering getting a place to flip. I can say that with the high prices complete dumps are going for now it makes it completely unattractive to buy one. Especially with the high price of materials.

In my area a dump was around $30,000 to $50,000 a year ago. Now it’s $60,000 minimum. I don’t feel like there is any rush to get into real estate at these levels. Might as well keep playing the market.

Old 05-09-2021, 01:37 PM

30,387 posts, read 18,909,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Seriously. A guy could buy a pop-up camper and sell his house piece by piece and bank!

I got lumber in some old chicken houses that has to be eaten by termites by now, that I bet I could sell for, particle board.
Welcome to the USSA- Obama's dystopian American in which enlightened oligarchs rule over a peasant class.

The sad thing is that the US has essentially unlimited supplies of renewable lumber.

A new construction method has arisen win which plastic "lego blocks" are linked together and then concrete is poured in cavities. It is cheaper than lumber and much stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies