Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 02:51 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,126,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I think that's where you live. Yeah in Africa they have a low BMI. In America not so much.
Yeah, I know that's why I said 'Africans.' For our Africans here, I just call them Blacks. They're almost all fat, especially their women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 07:41 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,748,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Yes, Fat Studies are a thing and they’re an offshoot of Critical Theory.

https://newdiscourses.com/tftw-fat-studies/
I started reading that. Satire?

Old 05-06-2021, 07:50 PM

26,620 posts, read 15,183,699 times
So the Washington Post just stated that there are genetic racial differences? Something they normally deny.

Also, BMI's development had nothing to do with social Darwinism. Straight up stupid to mention they were developed in the same century as if the two are connected. The WaPo is straight up illogical propaganda.

Old 05-06-2021, 09:39 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,529,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I started reading that. Satire?
No.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:49 PM

6,491 posts, read 4,103,472 times
I don't know if calling it racist is the right word. But in my life, i've found BMI to generally be inflated in America. While people are certainly overweight, the 40% adult obesity thing seems farfetched. I've lived in Austin and Houston, and while one city is overwhelming healthier, I struggle to see where the 40% could be coming from.

Also BMI for athletes, especially ones under 5'5 and ones bigger than 6'3 is often grossly inaccurate. Some people think it's limited to bodybuilders, and while their the most affected group. Stocky soccer players are also negatively affected. Even 8% of elite soccer players didn't fall into the normal range for BMI.
A player like Xherdan Shaqiri is a perfect example, BMI put him clearly in the overweight category bordering on obese. It shows you don't have to be a bodybuilder to fall into questionable territory in BMI.

Any woman that has a large backside will not be treated well by BMI, same with tall and short women. Also women with large breasts.

Hence why it's an overestimation because it puts Gym Bros in the overweight category, a selection of athletes in the overweight category especially sports dependent (Non-fat football positions are even more egregious (lineman are without a doubt fat most of the time)). Even some populations like Samoans who are largely overweight people, a lot of healthy Samoans get thrown in there because their generally stockier than other people and can often reach massive heights.

Black women definitely get the short end of the stick, especially ones that are overweight but get classified as obese. Theirs many people like that, that carry minimal weight in their stomach, much of it is in their legs or chest. Now if your morbidly obese it doesn't really affect you.

Someone like Demetria Obilor would be classified as Overweight, maybe even Obese by BMI standards, but it's obvious she nearly has her abs showing. Not everyone is built like that (sadly), but it's not an insignificant percent of the population.

Here's what I mean for taller players, like Virgil Van Dijk is hovering at overweight/perfect weight on the BMI scale. If this guy puts on a pound or 2 of muscle he wouldn't even look remotely closer to a body builder's physique or overweight. https://www.eurosport.com/football/v...41/story.shtml

American sports like Basketball (tall players), Baseball (home of the stocky players) and Football (loads of players with high amount of muscle and high amounts of fat, often with loads of both over a large frame), see nearly their entire league classified as overweight and many obese.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:56 PM

24,804 posts, read 9,578,065 times
The good news is she can blame white people for the lack of Whole Foods and Trader Joes in her community, we all know easy access to expensive organic food is the only thing stopping fat people from being skinny.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:12 PM

2,450 posts, read 978,859 times
Electricity was invented by the Whiteman during Slavery. ELECTRICITY IS RACIST! BLACKS, UNPLUG ALL YOUR ELECTRONICS NOW! UNSCREW ALL YOUR LIGHT BULBS AND SMASH THEM! GET SOME CANDLES AND LIVE IN PEACE!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity

Old 05-07-2021, 01:55 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,126,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I don't know if calling it racist is the right word. But in my life, i've found BMI to generally be inflated in America. While people are certainly overweight, the 40% adult obesity thing seems farfetched. I've lived in Austin and Houston, and while one city is overwhelming healthier, I struggle to see where the 40% could be coming from.
It's quite the opposite. I'd say more than 40% of Americans are obese.

If you spent your entire life of Texas, you have become desensitized to obesity.

I live in Miami Beach, which is generally considered to be a place where people are in shape, because of the beach and the "look at my body" culture. When I go to other cities in the USA, I'm quickly disgusted as I notice how fat people are outside my Miami Beach bubble.

But. Now I'm staying in the South of France, and it put it into perspective just how fat people are in Miami Beach compared to people here. Most adults my age in Miami Beach are obese or overweight. Most adults my age here are in a normal range.

I've been to Africa. And while you see fatties there too, most subSaharan Africans are in shape. And on BMI scales would score normal. So BMI is not racist, it's just that African Americans are fat here. Not in Africa.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:11 AM

34,295 posts, read 18,674,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Africans have some of the lowest BMI on the planet, as well as Asians. There goes that 'theory'
Not in the U.S. but Virtue Signal away and ignore reality as all Leftists do.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:16 AM

6,491 posts, read 4,103,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
It's quite the opposite. I'd say more than 40% of Americans are obese.

If you spent your entire life of Texas, you have become desensitized to obesity.

I live in Miami Beach, which is generally considered to be a place where people are in shape, because of the beach and the "look at my body" culture. When I go to other cities in the USA, I'm quickly disgusted as I notice how fat people are outside my Miami Beach bubble.

But. Now I'm staying in the South of France, and it put it into perspective just how fat people are in Miami Beach compared to people here. Most adults my age in Miami Beach are obese or overweight. Most adults my age here are in a normal range.

I've been to Africa. And while you see fatties there too, most subSaharan Africans are in shape. And on BMI scales would score normal. So BMI is not racist, it's just that African Americans are fat here. Not in Africa.
I've spent significant time in Austin, which is far healthier than the rest of Texas, and probably comparable to Western Europe, as well as Houston, formerly the "most obese city" in America, and Lafayette, LA so I seen the full American spectrum. I've also been in Nigeria and various European countries (if you add up years spent in Europe might be closing in on 2 years), for much of my life.

I definitely think it's a far more age-related phenomenon than portrayed, and I also realized theirs selection bias, as obese people are less likely to be out and about, and it's more an inner city problem than a suburban one. But the only age group I legitimately feel like is even close to 40% obese are those 40 years old and above. Again the average age in America is 38, so it's half the population.

I also feel the abnormal amount of high muscle individuals in America, with it being the Bodybuilding capital of the world, (Far more professional athletes than virtually every other country in existence, as well as the 3rd highest gym membership rate in the world) contributes to that. Theirs's also a thriving Gym Bro culture that isn't seen in other countries. Like while theirs's fat people, theirs also far more muscular folks that fall into Obese category on BMI, compared to other countries. Jacked people from what I've seen are far rarer in other countries.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 05-07-2021 at 02:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies