Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 02:24 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I've spent significant time in Austin, which is far healthier than the rest of Texas, and probably comparable to Western Europe, as well as Houston, formerly the "most obese city" in America, and Lafayette, LA so I seen the full American spectrum. I've also been in Nigeria and various European countries (if you add up years spent in Europe might be closing in on 2 years), for much of my life.

I definitely think it's a far more age-related phenomenon than portrayed, and I also realized theirs selection bias, as obese people are less likely to be out and about, and it's more an inner city problem than a suburban one. But the only age group I legitimately feel like is even close to 40% obese are those 40 years old and above. Again the average age in America is 38, so it's half the population.
America has a mean BMI of 29. France has 25. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ody_mass_index

Texas has a mean BMI of 32.

I've been to Austin, the only difference is a higher % of the population there is young, adjust for age, and it's not a nice picture there either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 02:25 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
Electricity was invented by the Whiteman during Slavery. ELECTRICITY IS RACIST! BLACKS, UNPLUG ALL YOUR ELECTRONICS NOW! UNSCREW ALL YOUR LIGHT BULBS AND SMASH THEM! GET SOME CANDLES AND LIVE IN PEACE!
White people created American education curriculum

Damnit, better drop out of elementary school.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:35 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
America has a mean BMI of 29. France has 25. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ody_mass_index

I've been to Austin, the only difference is a higher % of the population there is young, adjust for age, and it's not a nice picture there either.
Your definitely right, when talking control for age. But even for Africa depending on the country controlling for age get's you the same results. For example theirs's an obesity epidemic in Nigeria right now, especially among White-collar professionals. But the median age is somewhere around 19, so it's completely masked even if you were looking at adult obesity rates. France is older than America though. I've also been to Boulder and Colorado and all parts of the U.S and Canada. While people definitely let themselves go, I still feel even in regions, it's more regionalized than the statewide date would show.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:40 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Your definitely right, when talking control for age. But even for Africa depending on the country controlling for age get's you the same results. For example theirs's an obesity epidemic in Nigeria right now, especially among White-collar professionals. But the median age is somewhere around 19, so it's completely masked even if you were looking at adult obesity rates. France is older than America though. I've also been to Boulder and Colorado and all parts of the U.S and Canada. While people definitely let themselves go, I still feel even in regions, it's more regionalized than the statewide date would show.
Only for the white collar professionals who make up a small % of Nigerian society.

I've been to Nigeria. Go to the villages and the 'malnourished' look like athletes.

The white collar professionals are sedentary, being fat in Africa is considered a beauty standard, and they can afford all the food they want. So the problem is similar here. Cheap food, sedentary life style = obesity.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:45 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Only for the white collar professionals who make up a small % of Nigerian society.

I've been to Nigeria. Go to the villages and the 'malnourished' look like athletes.

The white collar professionals are sedentary, being fat in Africa is considered a beauty standard, and they can afford all the food they want. So the problem is similar here. Cheap food, sedentary life style = obesity.
I said, especially among white collar professionals but it isn't limited to them. Studies have shown increases everywhere. I've been to the villages, one side of my entire family is from an isolated village that can only be reached by boat. https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentra...71-2458-14-455

Their might not be an obesity problem there, (8% among adult women) but the overweight issue is pretty widespread amongst older people in Nigeria even today and doubled from around 2000-2010 it might have increased slightly since then since the economy hasn't grown as fast since the new President got in. It's mostly because Nigerian food, while natural is in no way healthy, it is very heavy and starchy foods often with large portions, and so lots of Nigerians can get fat just eating traditional foods in excess. Soda is also becoming increasingly common as incomes rise.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:34 AM

2,450 posts, read 972,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
White people created American education curriculum

Damnit, better drop out of elementary school.
Whites invented the modern medical system. Why bother even being born.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:42 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
Whites invented the modern medical system. Why bother even being born.
Exactly. Certainly no black person would want to be born in an evil racist developed country with countless opportunities to prosper, and where countless Mexicans risk death to live in.

Sounds like a very unappealing place for people of color.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:47 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
BMI was invented by a white man in the 19th century, back when everything was totally racist, so...

Black women, labeled as overweight by BMI, may actually be anorexic.

We need to adjust definitions of obesity to account for the fact that, while men, Latinas and white women are all too fat even below BMI 30, black women with 30+ BMIs are fine specimens of queenly health.

BMI supports systemic racism and must face a reckoning. It's a new day and a new world. Embrace the change, embrace the fat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...93a_story.html
Ain't nobody got time for this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waEC-8GFTP4

Old 05-10-2021, 06:22 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
For a second I thought the title was BLM may be racist and frankly there is probably a reasonable story to be found there.

They've already been shown to be anti-trans men but are ok with lesbians....but that's consistent with culture and hate crime stats.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:08 AM

89,016 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:

Texas has a high Hispanic population percentage at about 40%. Hispanics are the racial/ethnic group with the 2nd highest obesity rate, after Blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies