Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 07:12 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,745 times

Advertisements

It's gross as hell, but there's no 13 year-old girls open for a quick bang from an old man, anywhere. They invented a prosecutable honeypot situation that wouldn't really happen outside of their investigation. Also, some guys are just ***ny as hell, I think they could have had the crew posing as an 80 year-old woman and 80% of the men would go for it.

If you don't think it's entrapment it's because you're focusing on the criminal and not on the investigators. It's not zero sum, i.e. BOTH can be in the wrong. The severity of the crime shouldn't make the people investigating immune to criticism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 08:38 AM

78,352 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
California has recently passed many laws lessening charges or eliminating laws on pedophilia. A good chunk of the elite Democrats are pedophiles.
Without a source to the law changes, how are we to know this isn't something you read off some crackpot blog or radio show or heard incorrectly?

Include a link to the laws.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:45 AM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I kinda thought that was the point.

That this is not a fake show and this is Real, and in your Neighborhood!

And to stop (*&)ing around with underage boys and girls.
Not to the level that it got to, though. I’m sure the producers weren’t banking on an on camera suicide (yes, behind closed doors but the point remains). The real world intent was shaming people via encounters at the supposed underaged person’s home and subsequent legal proceedings, not death on air.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:01 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I kinda thought that was the point.

That this is not a fake show and this is Real, and in your Neighborhood!

And to stop (*&)ing around with underage boys and girls.
Ya know, thats the goal of TV producers and writers of 'Reality' tv...TO MAKE PEOPLE THINK ITS ALL REAL WHEN ITS NOT.

Its kind of like the TV judge shows....while technically, they are real judges and real cases...but its very different from a normal courtroom.

**You may be surprised to see what happened to to many of those people 'caught' on the show!

Old 04-22-2021, 09:04 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Because you cant arrest someone from something they didnt do.
Of course you can.

Now, there is a line you can't cross in entrapment, and drawing that is tricky even for legal professionals - and I'm not one of those - so I'm not going to go into whether that specific show actually crossed the line. Normally the jump-off point is whether the defendant was inclined to commit the crime anyway.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 04-22-2021 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-22-2021, 09:04 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Not to the level that it got to, though. I’m sure the producers weren’t banking on an on camera suicide (yes, behind closed doors but the point remains). The real world intent was shaming people via encounters at the supposed underaged person’s home and subsequent legal proceedings, not death on air.
Nope, the real intent was entertainment, and to sell advertising.

The fact so many believe it was real only shows the producers had a good idea.

(also, if you can find a video of the show, watch the credits and look for 'writers').

Old 04-22-2021, 09:05 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
California has recently passed many laws lessening charges or eliminating laws on pedophilia.
Nah. Stop listening to those radio shows, they leave you less informed.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:10 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,514,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
It's gross as hell, but there's no 13 year-old girls open for a quick bang from an old man, anywhere. They invented a prosecutable honeypot situation that wouldn't really happen outside of their investigation. Also, some guys are just ***ny as hell, I think they could have had the crew posing as an 80 year-old woman and 80% of the men would go for it.

If you don't think it's entrapment it's because you're focusing on the criminal and not on the investigators. It's not zero sum, i.e. BOTH can be in the wrong. The severity of the crime shouldn't make the people investigating immune to criticism.

I am a probation officer, and I deal with sex offenders specifically - people who have been put on probation(for a sex crime) instead of being put in prison.

You would be surprised how often this happens. Social media makes it so easy.

Sometimes, I get people who were actually meeting the police. And, it was a sting.

Sometimes, I get people who actually did it - they are older and met a teenager for sex that they met on social media. Then, the parents eventually find out and want the older person prosecuted.

A good majority of new sex offenders I have been getting in the last 5 or 6 years tend to be of this category.

Sometimes it is amazing how fast some of these guys want to meet up for sex.

Sometimes it takes weeks or months to work up to it. Sometimes less than an hour....

Old 04-22-2021, 09:14 AM

8,420 posts, read 4,572,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
Yes you can, in most jurisdictions it’s against the law to SOLICIT sex with a minor.

There were no minors involved. I know it's possible that they THOUGHT they were talking to a minor but then we get into the area of thought crimes.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:17 AM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Nope, the real intent was entertainment, and to sell advertising.

The fact so many believe it was real only shows the producers had a good idea.

(also, if you can find a video of the show, watch the credits and look for 'writers').
That’s a given with any broadcast television as they have to pay the bills and produce for shareholders. I was simply referring to the real world factor as a means to achieving that end, which in this case centered on shaming people and seeing things through to incarceration or charges otherwise. Yes it’s also entertaining to many people, and I would wager that the show would have continued to be wildly popular. But that is not the kind of entertainment that NBC was looking for and it opened the network up to way too much liability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies