Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this country going down the tube?
Yes 53 50.48%
Sort Of 28 26.67%
No 24 22.86%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2008, 07:16 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,704,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
We are ALWAYS going down the drain in an election year where the sitting president is a Republican. We are NEVER going down the drain when the sitting president is a Democrat.
No wonder. With a rare exception or two the stock market always does better under a Democrat president than a Republican president. Wall Street and stock market investers had best keep this in mind when voting for president in November.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 04:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,727,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslyke View Post
man, i guess our country was founded on paranoid extremests.
Give me a break.
EARN it. Instead of expecting something for nothing.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:36 AM

166 posts, read 139,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
It seems like peoples freedoms are slowly being taken away.

Even more will be taken away if the angry left wing liberals have their way. We must open our eyes and move to the middle, where reality resides.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:42 AM

Like...the PATRIOT Act? Or California's law disallowing drivers to smoke in their OWN cars with kids as passengers?

Old 05-09-2008, 04:58 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,546,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Or California's law disallowing drivers to smoke in their OWN cars with kids as passengers?

Are you saying this is a bad law? Im all for personal freedoms but that infringes on other people. That I am not for. It's no different than noise violations. You have the right to listen to loud music, you do not have the right to annoy the **** out of other people with it. Same goes for smoking.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:07 AM

So what does it matter if you pay upfront...or over time? You still pay.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:35 AM

959 posts, read 2,364,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomiles View Post
Well when I talk to my folks, who did live through the depression, they think we are in deep trouble.

So do I.
Yup...my parents say the same thing.

The older they get, the more conservative they get...seems to have something to do with level of observation, experience, and education. And, God help me, so do I! I started out as a teenager arguing with almost every word they said...now, as I see the way things are and the way that they might go (this election--eek!), the more we sing the same tune.

Economically we are in trouble. And the thing is, there used to be a feeling of true connection among us; now, so many Americans don't know what being a good neighbor really means. So, when the chit hits the fan, my suspicion is that everyone is going to be out for themselves, and that...is how countries fall.

I wouldn't say that except for the attitude I see so often now...a mere 7 YEARS after 9-11, many people seem to have forgotten that it happened, or brush off its import. OMG!!! So many people have not taken the time to educate themselves about our greatest enemies; the Middle East is still not a major topic in Civics/History.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:44 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,099,044 times
So a falling dollar and high gas prices equal the end does it? I think the real issue at hand is that Americans are afraid of the area outside their comfort zones.

However, I'm sure folks were saying the same type of things during the gas crisis, Vietnam, Cuban missile crisis, etc.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:07 AM

959 posts, read 2,364,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
So a falling dollar and high gas prices equal the end does it? I think the real issue at hand is that Americans are afraid of the area outside their comfort zones.

However, I'm sure folks were saying the same type of things during the gas crisis, Vietnam, Cuban missile crisis, etc.
Boy, you sure are hard to impress! The dollar isn't just "falling," it's plummeting, and gas prices aren't just high, they're astronomical; bad enough to send smaller companies into the ground and threaten big businesses like trucking, shipping--any business that requires fuel to run!

"Comfort zones"--please explain that warm and fuzzy phrase to me. Everyone has a different area of knowledge, expertise, and yes, comfort...guess some of us feel that, if we work hard, try to be responsible with our money, and are trying to get ahead/raise a family, we'd like to NOT see that threatened. Do you suggest we all buy Winnebagos and camp out in the desert? Would that be stretching our "comfort zones" enough?

Old 05-09-2008, 11:12 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,738,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
Boy, you sure are hard to impress! The dollar isn't just "falling," it's plummeting, and gas prices aren't just high, they're astronomical; bad enough to send smaller companies into the ground and threaten big businesses like trucking, shipping--any business that requires fuel to run!

"Comfort zones"--please explain that warm and fuzzy phrase to me. Everyone has a different area of knowledge, expertise, and yes, comfort...guess some of us feel that, if we work hard, try to be responsible with our money, and are trying to get ahead/raise a family, we'd like to NOT see that threatened. Do you suggest we all buy Winnebagos and camp out in the desert? Would that be stretching our "comfort zones" enough?
Astronomical?
Why gas in the U.S. is so cheap - May. 1, 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies