Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 06:58 PM

73,192 posts, read 63,046,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
This is to honor Hank Aaron.

Yet most of these people want to honor Hank Aaron by bashing the OP. That's not what I've heard of how Hank would act.
How is turning this into "let's talk about Black athletes in a criticizing way" honoring Hank Aaron?

Old 01-24-2021, 07:02 PM

4,535 posts, read 1,785,349 times
Yeah, that Mookie Betts, a horrible, horrible person. But Ryan Leaf and Johnny Manziel were alter boys who could never do any wrong, right?

Old 01-24-2021, 07:55 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,683,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
So another race tinged thread about a sports legend from a Trump supporter.
You couldn't have just made a thread about him instead of delving into the gutter?
No surprise there !
Most threads here devolve into racism and hate...very sad....i predict they will get rid of this politics section soon...more of the legend Hank Aaron here and what he overcame...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Aaron

Old 01-24-2021, 08:06 PM

28,735 posts, read 18,978,848 times
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
nah.. more like “I like Black people once they die”

They did the same thing with MLK and Ali.. when they were fighting for respect they were the enemy. After they were killed or frail and sick they were hero’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Not necessarily.

I was raised to see Muhammad Ali as a coward and a traitor, that name was not even allowed to be spoken in the house but rather his birth name.

As an adult, once out of my Father's influence, I listened to other opinions and now, I do not think of him as such for the extent and losses he went through to be a CO, I accept that if that is the name he (or anyone else who changes their name) "wishes" to be called by, then so be it.

On a different note 1, growing up a military brat, I did not realize the racism in the world till around 6th grade (and then, didn't understand what busing was until 9th grade) or so due to the integration in the military world and often the isolation of the base we lived on. As such, I hardly think my Father's objection to Mr. Ali was because he was black but more that, to him, he was just another one who skipped out on the Vietnam War.

On a different note 2, perhaps it is something of being a child, in my genes, or just only knowing what one is told, but between Mr. Ali, busing, and now alternate communication methods (not realizing it was the far right pushing it), I find I often don't have a clue to real meaning behind things.
Sounds to me that you're reinforcing what Feltdesigner said.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:07 PM

57,399 posts, read 26,443,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Hank Aron that experienced real racism and hatred, fought it with class, dignity, grace unlike the frauds and phonies of the world “ Colin Kapernick”!

https://nypost.com/2021/01/22/hank-aaron-dead-at-86/
You have zero understanding of the time Aaron lived ,if he truly spoke his mind his life wood have been in jeopardy. Just imagine if Kaepernick lived back then. These changes to racism are a series steps, completely different time and place.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:12 PM

1,014 posts, read 486,853 times
Did he die of receiving the vaccine? It was just January 5, 2021 he received the vaccine. 19 days ago. This could be a case of wrong diagnosis. Include the COVID-19 he already had. So this makes it harder. The vaccine caused also a lot of other things to happen. I'm not sure exactly what he died of. I'll have to find the original article I red it on. It looks to me like at 86 years old, other factor like poor health, aging, and basically overall condition played a role in this occurrence. Hank Aaron the best hitter in baseball at one time. And he was 6 ft. tall. Kind of small for today's standards. Jose Canseco hit 462 homeruns and he stood at 6-4 tall. So more commanding than Hank Aaron, even though less homeruns. COVID-19 hits anyone. So it is not a race thing.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:16 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,209,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
.........Sounds to me that you're reinforcing what Feltdesigner said.
Hardly at all.

I was raised one way but as an adult, I listened to other people and changed my view. In part, it gets into being in that kind of world I described in the Hate thread about sinking hospital ships. When one is deeply in a military environment, one usually takes on those certain view points, such as being against those people who avoid going to war.

But outside that environment, it is possible to hear other opinions, see things in different ways, and change one's outlook.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:25 PM

594 posts, read 504,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
They can't help but see race. It's ingrained.
Do you think it is nurture or in the DNA?

Old 01-24-2021, 08:51 PM

28,735 posts, read 18,978,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Hardly at all.

I was raised one way but as an adult, I listened to other people and changed my view. In part, it gets into being in that kind of world I described in the Hate thread about sinking hospital ships. When one is deeply in a military environment, one usually takes on those certain view points, such as being against those people who avoid going to war.

But outside that environment, it is possible to hear other opinions, see things in different ways, and change one's outlook.

Only because you aren't the "they" that Feltdesigner was talking about. Your father was the "they."

Old 01-24-2021, 08:55 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,209,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Only because you aren't the "they" that Feltdesigner was talking about. Your father was the "they."
OH, COME OFF IT!

You are talking about the military, an integrated population where there are people of all types around. For the world that Mr. Feltdesigner talked about, where a type of people are only respected when they are dead, one couldn't last at all in that world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies