Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 11:06 AM

8,443 posts, read 7,457,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What it looks like to me, it was "Et to Brutus" kind of thing, when it comes to Pence.

( But then, again, I never liked or trusted him to begin with.)
Context:
On March 15 (the Ides of March), 44 BC, the historic Caesar was attacked by a group of senators, including Brutus, who was Caesar's friend and protégé. Caesar initially resisted his attackers, but when he saw Brutus, he reportedly responded as he died. Suetonius mentions the quote merely as a rumor, as does Plutarch who also reports that Caesar said nothing, but merely pulled his toga over his head when he saw Brutus among the conspirators.

In William Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar, he has the character Caesar at the time of his death speak the phrase 'Et tu, Brute?', meaning either 'And you, Brutus?' or 'Also you, Brutus?'.

Wikipedia: Et tu, Brute?
So in your remarks above, who is Caesar and who is Brutus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 11:09 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,499,552 times
tulsi gabbard 2024

Old 01-08-2021, 11:11 AM

26,837 posts, read 22,652,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Labor unions are a cancer. Especially public employee unions.

If you say so.

But I would like to hear it all debated out in the open, between the two men, that have their honest convictions of what's right and what's not, and why exactly.

With facts, figures and proofs, since they had access to both, while being part of the government.

With other words - convince me as a voter in one or the other, during the open and honest debate.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:16 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,666,123 times
Hey look how Trump insulted Lyin' Ted and Little Marco, yet they all became BBF. I guess Lyin' Ted decided his father did kill Kennedy after all..... or just doesnt care.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:18 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,459,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Nobody cares. Bernie and independents and liberals alike will unite behind Biden to do whatever they want because dems are running the entire government.

12 days.
Yeah, but the party establishment supports trillions in federal reserve stimulus to wall street.

Any welfare policy is counteracted by inflated speculatory bubbles.

So a united democratic party means more power to financial institutions (fyi, Obama did just this with his friend Geithner. The dodd-frank bill only made the situation worse. that is why the bailed out AIG).

So Americans suffer, and bankers prosper. Why is this a good thing?

Old 01-08-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Context:
On March 15 (the Ides of March), 44 BC, the historic Caesar was attacked by a group of senators, including Brutus, who was Caesar's friend and protégé. Caesar initially resisted his attackers, but when he saw Brutus, he reportedly responded as he died. Suetonius mentions the quote merely as a rumor, as does Plutarch who also reports that Caesar said nothing, but merely pulled his toga over his head when he saw Brutus among the conspirators.

In William Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar, he has the character Caesar at the time of his death speak the phrase 'Et tu, Brute?', meaning either 'And you, Brutus?' or 'Also you, Brutus?'.

Wikipedia: Et tu, Brute?
So in your remarks above, who is Caesar and who is Brutus?

Look, I am a simple person, and if Trump accused Pence of cowardice ( i.e. he felt betrayed by him,) the answer is pretty simple.

That's how "et tu Brutus" is usually used - in this sense.
I assume Trump trusted Pence and thought he could rely on him 100%.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Yeah, but the party establishment supports trillions in federal reserve stimulus to wall street.

Any welfare policy is counteracted by inflated speculatory bubbles.

So a united democratic party means more power to financial institutions (fyi, Obama did just this with his friend Geithner. The dodd-frank bill only made the situation worse. that is why the bailed out AIG).

So Americans suffer, and bankers prosper. Why is this a good thing?

It would be at least NORMAL THING under the "right wingers."

But so-called "left wingers?"
WTH?

Old 01-08-2021, 11:33 AM

8,443 posts, read 7,457,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Look, I am a simple person, and if Trump accused Pence of cowardice ( i.e. he felt betrayed by him,) the answer is pretty simple.

That's how "et tu Brutus" is usually used - in this sense.
I assume Trump trusted Pence and thought he could rely on him 100%.
You think that, by following his constitutionally mandated role in the election of a President of the United States, Vice President Michael Pence betrayed President Donald Trump?

If so, that's NOT how Et tu Brutus is used.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:52 AM

6,382 posts, read 2,935,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
With the way the Dems treat Bernie he might have done better to team up with Trump.

At least Bernie and Trump want to help the American People while it seems the Dems are ready to run us over.
A lot of Bernie Bros went for Trump in 2016. They will be back the that side in 2024. Biden's not even in office yet and he's crapping the bed.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
You think that, by following his constitutionally mandated role in the election of a President of the United States, Vice President Michael Pence betrayed President Donald Trump?

If so, that's NOT how Et tu Brutus is used.

No, that's not what I think, because the picture is more complex than you are trying to present here.

Trump ( and people that support him) felt that they were wronged during these elections, so they decided to contest it the legal way.

But their grievances were not addressed; they were thrown out of the court instead.

Were their grievances real?

I suspect it might be a case, watching closely how the "left" was operating in Ukraine, all their schemes and lies there, in order to hit Trump.
( I don't know about all this "Russian collusion" process, since I was not watching closely back then what took place there, but Ukraine - that's for sure. I was watching it closely.)

And I see what FB is up to ( sneaky-sneaky.)

So yet another example of the left tactics/agenda.

So yep, on the basis of everything I observed so far, things look very unsettling, and that's why it was not as simple as "Pence following his constitutionally mandated role."

There was something else Trump was expecting Pence to do ( as his closest ally ( or so he thought)) under the circumstances; namely - "to give the States a chance to to certify a corrected set of facts," which, again, is a part of the legal procedure, that was denied to him.

Instead, Pence acted like there was no such part, in the same manner as the "left wing" did.
Which would amount to betrayal of the person that trusted him (namely Trump.)

Therefore "et tu Brutus" stands in this case.

"Mike Pence didn’t have the courage to do what should have been done to protect our Country and our Constitution, giving States a chance to certify a corrected set of facts, not the fraudulent or inaccurate ones which they were asked to previously certify. USA demands the truth!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 6, 2021"

^
This was Trump's original twit I referred to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies