Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 08:24 AM

20,463 posts, read 12,392,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Which isn't really a bad idea if you think about it. Wouldn't it be helpful to know who had dangerous opinions maybe opinions that were hateful and ended up hurting people what if social scoring was the only way we could truly be sure we were living with people who will not put others lives at risk whether it's denying science or having hateful beliefs.
this comment represents the end of Liberty. This is where America is headed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 08:27 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Yes ClaraC please save us from ourselves!

I'm not trying to save you from yourselves.

I'm trying to save the rest of us from you.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:29 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Like shouting Trump is a Russian asset for 3.5 years?

Disinformation like THAT????

I have no idea. Some of that stuff makes my eyes cross trying to figure out what's being alleged.

It was odd, really, the obvious affection and admiration Trump displayed for Putin.

But it may have just been that. An oddly placed affection.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:29 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Except Trump was trying to get people to believe his lies, and the left is fighting like a junkyard dog for truth.

So, not the same.

AH... the problem is that Google, a Left leaning giant is taking it upon themselves to edit and determine what is truth and what is lies. The Dilbert guy has an opinion that Google deems not in line with the Lefty narrative so they block it.

Truth, Lies, Opinion? I think we should be able to make up our own minds without "Big Brother" violating our Constitutional Rights.

The Left is fighting to stifle opposing views so they can control the narrative and when a segment of society is silenced, namely the Conservatives, the Truth dies a slow death.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
AH... the problem is that Google, a Left leaning giant is taking it upon themselves to edit and determine what is truth and what is lies. The Dilbert guy has an opinion that Google deems not in line with the Lefty narrative so they block it.

Truth, Lies, Opinion? I think we should be able to make up our own minds without "Big Brother" violating our Constitutional Rights.

The Left is fighting to stifle opposing views so they can control the narrative and when a segment of society is silenced, namely the Conservatives, the Truth dies a slow death.
I used to think that. I used to think, let everyone speak his mind, no matter what he's saying.

I've changed my mind. I've never seen so many people behave so gullibly, as I'm seeing right now.

There was a murder case here, where the defense was going to call the former director of Scotland Yard to testify that the bullet in question couldn't have come from the gun in question. The judge disallowed that witness, saying the jury would be so swayed by his credentials that they would give undue weight to his opinion. At the time, I thought that was absolutely outrageous. I think I get it, now. I think I understand the judge's fear that the jury would be misled by this witness, and would end up with the wrong verdict. Because they would be unable to thoughtfully process what they were hearing.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:35 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,221,144 times
A private company sets its own rules, that's called free enterprise.

Let the market decide if it's a good or bad rule.

Besides I thought Parler and Rumble were "the new thing"....

Old 12-15-2020, 08:37 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times
Quote:
This would be a more interesting story if it included what content was removed.

I don't blame them, at all, for taking the courageous stand that any content alleging widespread voter fraud would be removed. The fact is, people in the US are too stupid not to be able to weed through that and know it's a hoax story, and we are endangering our very country by allowing that false content to be spread.

As much as I enjoy the cartoon strip "dilbert", I think it's time for private businesses to draw a line in the sand and decide they won't carry the lie that the election was stolen.
Just who judges what is and what is not a "hoax"? who watches the watchers?
Just who determines who is "stupid"? Perhaps not everyone is as intelligent as you..........does that mean they are not allowed to make their own decisions?

Old 12-15-2020, 08:37 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,559,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
A private company sets its own rules, that's called free enterprise.

Let the market decide if it's a good or bad rule.

Besides I thought Parler and Rumble were "the new thing"....
Turns out they need liberal platforms like Google to survive.

It's really quite funny.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:40 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,200,330 times
Quote:
The problem here, is not "opinions you don't like". It's shutting down false statements that have the potential, if continued to be believed, could ruin our country.

There are true opinions or possibly true opinions, that not everyone likes. And those are protected by the first amendment. This disinformation campaign, to get the country to believe something that's FALSE, is not protected by the first amendment.

There's a difference.
You can’t decide what is false. Google is choosing what they think is true..that is not their job they are a search engine, they are infringing on our rights to free speech

Old 12-15-2020, 08:40 AM

1,603 posts, read 869,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Which isn't really a bad idea if you think about it. Wouldn't it be helpful to know who had dangerous opinions maybe opinions that were hateful and ended up hurting people what if social scoring was the only way we could truly be sure we were living with people who will not put others lives at risk whether it's denying science or having hateful beliefs.

This may be the saddest thing I've read in 2020. I'm continually blown away that so many people actually believe such things. I've not in the past advocated a break up of the United States, but it would be very interesting to see all such people concentrated in one place and see how it goes for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies