Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 10:07 AM

15,907 posts, read 21,572,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I am a creature of habit. Each day I get dressed for work, I slip a buck knife with its clip into one hip pocket, a swiss army type knife in the other. Knives are the kind of thing that I "collect" if the price and opportunity is right. The other week at a dive shop sale, I picked up a few "Remora"type knives
https://www.google.com/search?q=remo...h=702&biw=1260
for they were cheap but also efficient for the kind of knives I include in first aid kits or to make sure bug out personnel to the house have as part of the basic gear on them.

This is Texas and knives are as common as perhaps what they said in Miss Congeniality about other things. Once when a co worker was in a traffic stop and the cops asked if he had any other weapons on him, he sort of responded with irritation about the 2,3 knives he had......because that is what we all carry.

But Texas is not everywhere and I am sure there are many in the country who might wonder why one carries a knife all the time and might even see that such things, such actions should be prohibited.

So how much do we want to let a central government tell us how to live our lives day to day, especially when they don't live where we do in the first place?

Nice story.

My boyfriend carries a knife on him and regularly gets it sent out for sharpening. Never been a problem here in Massachusetts or at home in New York.

EDIT: That's a lie. He once went to a ballgame and forgot that he had his knife in his pocket. There were metal detectors and knives were prohibited in Fenway. He had to stash his knife in a potted plant on the street. Luckily, it was there when he got back.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:17 AM

7,677 posts, read 3,764,215 times
I heard that in New Jersey a knife of any sort is considered a deadly assault weapon, anyone carrying a knife for occupational purposes must keep knives and box cutters in a locked toolbox located in the rear of the vehicle with the blades detached and kept in glovebox and you need a special contractor permit to carry knife or other sharp utility cutting device which takes approximately a year to obtain.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:20 AM

193 posts, read 61,071 times
I’ve always got my “pencil sharpener” on me. I’ve had to bury it in the bushes outside of stadiums a time or two, but I never leave home without it.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:21 AM

6,991 posts, read 3,183,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dawg New Tricks View Post
I’ve always got my “pencil sharpener” on me. I’ve had to bury it in the bushes outside of stadiums a time or two, but I never leave home without it.
If you are John Wick that's a deadly weapon!!

Old 11-17-2020, 10:37 AM

16,248 posts, read 10,979,177 times
What a stupid notion to build your lifestyle around whether you carry a knife or not. Most people who do don't give it much thought and are not obsessed with the practice. I did at various times as a convenient tool but not in the last twenty years. I live in New Mexico, not Texas, and live in the desert but I don't have a burning desire or a need to carry a knife or any weapon. Nobody would care if I did carry a knife. I'm retired and I know where to find a knife if I need one.

And no, I'm not worried about the "central government" trying to run my life. I'm more concerned about the Bible Thumpers thinking they have that privilege.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:51 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,755,822 times
I carry a 4" double action switchblade every day, I use it at work frequently.

I need to get a case for it or something, as when I carry it in my pocket with coin change, sometimes the pennies and dimes will lodge themselves into the blade slot and it jams up, (and I have to use pliers to remove the coin).

I get ALOT of people saying "oh thats cool, a switchblade"...its gets annoying

Old 11-17-2020, 11:52 AM

11,416 posts, read 7,880,844 times
I don’t think carrying around a knife everyday is a lifestyle. I think it’s just a tool you carry because you find it useful. I always have a pen in my purse, does that mean I lead a “writers” lifestyle? Nope. Just means I find it handy frequently enough to warrant toting it around

Old 11-17-2020, 12:07 PM

29,911 posts, read 14,961,445 times
Quote:
I am a creature of habit. Each day I get dressed for work, I slip a buck knife with its clip into one hip pocket, a swiss army type knife in the other. Knives are the kind of thing that I "collect" if the price and opportunity is right. The other week at a dive shop sale, I picked up a few "Remora"type knives
for they were cheap but also efficient for the kind of knives I include in first aid kits or to make sure bug out personnel to the house have as part of the basic gear on them.

This is Texas and knives are as common as perhaps what they said in Miss Congeniality about other things. Once when a co worker was in a traffic stop and the cops asked if he had any other weapons on him, he sort of responded with irritation about the 2,3 knives he had......because that is what we all carry.

But Texas is not everywhere and I am sure there are many in the country who might wonder why one carries a knife all the time and might even see that such things, such actions should be prohibited.

So how much do we want to let a central government tell us how to live our lives day to day, especially when they don't live where we do in the first place?
Being that I pretty much never leave the house now, I rarely carry a knife. When I used to, I have probably about 15 in rotation. Lately if I do run out I just carry a run of the mill ZT0560BW.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Zero-T...W-Knife--18068

Custom knives are my thing, along with flashlights. Two of my favorite makers are Jeremy Marsh and Michael Burch, I just can't spend that kind of money on a knife. Check out a website called the Usual Suspects Network, to meet some like minded individuals.
Attached Thumbnails
Lifestyles-20180927_181138.jpg  

Last edited by scarabchuck; 11-17-2020 at 12:20 PM..

Old 11-17-2020, 12:15 PM

28,754 posts, read 19,008,071 times
Quote:

Well, until a couple of years ago, fighting knives were rather tightly restricted in Texas.

But I don't think the whole point is a lifestyle built solely around knives.

Rather, "it's never just one thing." The legislative attitude about controlling something like knives is the same attitude that will carry over to other areas of their citizens' lives. When they're controlling knives, they're controlling a lot more.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:17 PM

29,911 posts, read 14,961,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I don’t think carrying around a knife everyday is a lifestyle. I think it’s just a tool you carry because you find it useful. I always have a pen in my purse, does that mean I lead a “writers” lifestyle? Nope. Just means I find it handy frequently enough to warrant toting it around
You obviously haven't heard about the EDC community have you ? People collect , carry and photography their EDC...Every Day Carry items. It's mostly just for fun, and some people get carried away as we do with how their collections are.

A perfect "pocket dump" , not mine but an example.
Attached Thumbnails
Lifestyles-edc.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.