Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 10:42 AM

1,253 posts, read 504,708 times

Advertisements

This is so interesting. With Harris/Biden winning the election (most likely, as I predicted - check my posts), but with Republicans controlling the Senate, it appears a lot of the policies the Democrats were wanting simply can't and won't happen.

1) Tax people more. Won't happen now. The Trump tax code stays in place. Harris/Biden can't change that without the Republican Senate agreeing to it and they won't.

2) Green New Deal is now dead. Harris/Biden can't change that without the Republican Senate agreeing to it and they won't.

3) Massive spending bill to include payments to illegals and paying off previous mismanagement debt in Democrat states won't happen now. Harris/Biden can't change that without the Republican Senate agreeing to it and they won't.

4) Packing the Supreme Court to get their way. That won't happen now. Harris/Biden can't change that without the Republican Senate agreeing to it and they won't.

The only thing the Democrats get is the short term feel good satisfaction of getting Trump out of office, but in reality his policies stay in place and there isn't a damn thing Democrats can do to change that.

I wonder how many people realize this yet? It's a great day to be alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 10:44 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,658,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnsota View Post
This is so interesting. With Harris/Biden winning the election (most likely, as I predicted - check my posts), but with Republicans controlling the Senate, it appears a lot of the policies the Democrats were wanting simply can't and won't happen.

1) Tax people more. Won't happen now. The Trump tax code stays in place. Harris/Biden can't change that without the Republican Senate agreeing to it and they won't.

2) Green New Deal is now dead. Harris/Biden can't change that without the Republican Senate agreeing to it and they won't.

3) Massive spending bill to include payments to illegals and paying off previous mismanagement debt in Democrat states won't happen now. Harris/Biden can't change that without the Republican Senate agreeing to it and they won't.

4) Packing the Supreme Court to get their way. That won't happen now. Harris/Biden can't change that without the Republican Senate agreeing to it and they won't.

The only thing the Democrats get is the short term feel good satisfaction of getting Trump out of office, but in reality his policies stay in place and there isn't a damn thing Democrats can do to change that.

How about Biden won't nominate any more reich wing judges to the courts? You didn't think of that, did you?

Old 11-04-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
How about Biden won't nominate any more reich wing judges to the courts? You didn't think of that, did you?
I did, but we already have a 6-3 majority and if another position opens up, we control the Senate so no left wingnuts get through.

Old 11-04-2020, 11:08 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,295,411 times
Quote:
I did, but we already have a 6-3 majority and if another position opens up, we control the Senate so no left wingnuts get through.
There are quite a few Republican senators up for re-election in 2022 (22 as opposed to 12 Democrats).

Class 1 in 2024 will be interesting as out of the 33, 21 are Democrats. A lot will depend on how will Biden (assuming it's him) does (and if Harris ends up taking over).

The way the cycle runs it's actually better for the Senate if Biden wins.

Old 11-04-2020, 11:11 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,658,263 times
Quote:
The Supreme Court isn't the only federal court

Old 11-04-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
The Supreme Court isn't the only federal court
It's the one that matters in the end.

Old 11-04-2020, 11:21 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,255,081 times
Quote:

Most Democrats don't want to tax people more, don't care about the green deal, and most of the progressive mumble jumble. If we really wanted that we'd have nominated Sanders.

The progressives will be livid, but most liberals and moderates will be just fine.

Old 11-04-2020, 11:29 AM

4,174 posts, read 4,191,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Most Democrats don't want to tax people more, don't care about the green deal, and most of the progressive mumble jumble. If we really wanted that we'd have nominated Sanders.

The progressives will be livid, but most liberals and moderates will be just fine.

No, no one want to get tax more. The only people that want higher tax is those who wish the higher tax apply to other people. You know, those not paying the tax.

If you want higher tax for yourself, you don't need a tax law to be passed to do it. You can always write a change to the US treasury.

Old 11-04-2020, 11:31 AM

21,997 posts, read 9,574,071 times
I agree with you OP but where the real damage can be done is foreign policy.

Old 11-04-2020, 12:03 PM

1,768 posts, read 570,011 times
Quote:
McConnell wouldn't hold confirmation hearings for anyone he nominates. He did this to Obama for 8 years, that's why Trump was able to appoint so many.

Without the senate, a Biden win isn't worth much, although it would at least get rid of DeVos, Barr, Mnuchin and the rest of the Cabinet O' Crap.

But Biden won't win. The Supreme Court will ensure that Trump wins, no matter what the votes are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies