Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 10:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,867,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Oh please stop with the conspiracy theories, aside for corrupt individuals who might be taking bribes, the DEA is fighting cartels not helping them. And currency seized goes straight into the operating budget
You are not looking at the 'big picture'...the US having tough drug laws in place, BENEFITS the drug cartels...without these laws in place, legitimate industry could supply these drugs and take the profits..(the cartels take in BILLIONS every year)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 10:49 AM

20,071 posts, read 12,549,150 times
Quote:
It's my damn business when those people are strewn across blocks everywhere in tent cities or when they're breaking into places to get money for it and woke courts tell the authorities they are not allowed to move them

If someone wants to smoke pot and keep the fumes to themselves I don't care, because even if it burns some brain cells it's not going to destroy their lives.

There is no acceptable use case for heroin, opioides, meth, crack/cocaine - none.

People caught using should be arrested and given the option of free treatment or jail - your choice.
Any drug can destroy your life, legal ones too. I dont' believe in discriminating that way. If weed is going to be legal, if "edibles" and lsd are being touted as good , if we can legally drug children because they can't sit still for 8 hrs, then might as well open the doors to legalize other drugs too.

Old 11-04-2020, 10:58 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,721,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Any drug can destroy your life, legal ones too. I dont' believe in discriminating that way. If weed is going to be legal, if "edibles" and lsd are being touted as good , if we can legally drug children because they can't sit still for 8 hrs, then might as well open the doors to legalize other drugs too.
But the US continues with draconian alcoholic beverage laws.

Old 11-04-2020, 11:13 AM

627 posts, read 213,584 times
This is a great first step on the road to rehab. Prison is not rehab.

Measure 110 DOES NOT MAKE DEALING DRUGS LEGAL.

Measure 110 simply reduces the penalty from prison to citation instead only for quantities small enough to be considered personal use.

The next steps to take are to increase accessibility to treatment. We can do that with the money we'll save from incarcerating for victimless crimes.

Old 11-04-2020, 11:14 AM

627 posts, read 213,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
But the US continues with draconian alcoholic beverage laws.
Alcohol is not a medication but treating alcoholism will become easier when Oregon's next steps to increase treatment availability for substance abuse become a reality.

Old 11-04-2020, 11:31 AM

18,014 posts, read 15,781,247 times
Quote:
It's my damn business when those people are strewn across blocks everywhere in tent cities or when they're breaking into places to get money for it and woke courts tell the authorities they are not allowed to move them

If someone wants to smoke pot and keep the fumes to themselves I don't care, because even if it burns some brain cells it's not going to destroy their lives.

There is no acceptable use case for heroin, opioides, meth, crack/cocaine - none.

People caught using should be arrested and given the option of free treatment or jail - your choice.
This and a couple other issues is where I get to call myself a centrist Independent. Now as to the te ts cities a d people being strewn around the streets alcohol has as much to do with that as anything.

Alcohol is a nasty substance. It puts people in hospitals and dead in gutters more than all other substances combined. And its legal. Available at any corner store. And to my way of thinking drugs are no different in terms of addicted people, medical problems and social ills from alcohol.

Alcohol was made illegal and that resulted in the exact problems that are currently involved with drugs. Just like illegal drugs are now contaminated, impure and unsafe to consume bootleg booze was all over the place.

And people were buying it up and swigging it down. Criminals were fighting wars with each other for distribution territory, government agencies were created to try and contain all this and it failed as miserably as all that is failing with drugs now.

The people who are going to abuse substances and cause the problems you claim makes that abuse your damn business are going to do so whether ir not those substances are legal or not.

But if those substances are legal at least that takes the criminal turf wars and unsafe, impure and unfit for consumption issue down by a large factor. There will still be problems with addicts, and people strewn about the streets.

That's never going to go away. Never has never will. Nothing for it. So what changes if drugs are handled the same way as booze? Other than removing the criminal violence, chopping criminal coffers off at the knees, and having oversight as to the quality and fitness for use of the chemicals people are using without that assurance now.

To my mind, the changes will be as positive as it gets in relation to this issue. That's how I'm choosing to see it at any rate. Many including yourself disagree. Which is fine. I'm not trying to change your mind so much as just state the reasons I have mine set the way it is.

Old 11-04-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

Alcohol is a nasty substance. It puts people in hospitals and dead in gutters more than all other substances combined. And its legal. Available at any corner store. And to my way of thinking drugs are no different in terms of addicted people, medical problems and social ills from alcohol.
Depends upon what state you live in. In many locales, you must buy full strength beer or booze from a state government run store. And only during certain hours and days of the week.

Old 11-04-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer_and_Sticks View Post
Alcohol is not a medication but treating alcoholism will become easier when Oregon's next steps to increase treatment availability for substance abuse become a reality.
Alcohol is a beverage. In some states, getting legal marijuana is easier than legally buying alcohol.

Old 11-04-2020, 12:01 PM

13,605 posts, read 7,668,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Depends upon what state you live in. In many locales, you must buy full strength beer or booze from a state government run store. And only during certain hours and days of the week.
Only in these states

Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, Ohio, Oregon, Vermont, Wyoming and West Virginia

https://www.thrillist.com/culture/st...-liquor-stores

Here in AZ, CA, NV just buy 24 hours a day local Walgreens 24/7 and Walmart.

Old 11-04-2020, 12:11 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,582,224 times
I voted on this. And..it was a tough vote, I think our penalties for a lot of this is...well...insane. But some drugs? Like meth? That should not be part of this, and I wish they had not included it and a couple others. So it was a guessing game on long term results.

Imagine being in a Oregon prison with a multi year sentence and seeing your possession charge drop to a fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies