Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support doing away with all types of tax besides the sales tax and tariffs/tariff type tax
Yes 7 58.33%
No 3 25.00%
Other 1 8.33%
Unsure 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 06:25 AM

724 posts, read 510,028 times

Advertisements

I'm a huge supporter of this proposal , what with ( to this very day ) being metaphorically beside myself that ( f.ex ) the government deems it just to take money out of my paycheck on the grounds of " providing essential services " when said services are more often than not lacking , not to even mention the fact that saying you deserve a cut of someone's earnings that you had nothing to do with is a form of extortion , regardless of how it's dressed up as .

I won't even get started on what I think of ( IMHO ) completely blasphemous concepts like property and inheritance tax , since the quality of my OP would take a major turn for the worse .

Anyways I look forward to reading y'all s responses .

P.S. FWIW I fully support the notion of local communities implementing whatever type of taxation they seem fit to implement , as long as they go about it properly ( i.e. via popular majority vote ) , it's just that the feds and the stadies should have no right to levy taxes not related to consumption/foreign and extra jurisdictional imports IMHO .

Old 11-01-2020, 06:29 AM

7,270 posts, read 4,248,295 times
If the Federal Reserve can print money at will - why is there the need for taxes in the first place?

Old 11-01-2020, 06:29 AM

14,978 posts, read 8,291,353 times
I feel that we are way overtaxed. You pay taxes when you earn money to the Federal Government, to your state, to your County, to your city...then you pay taxes on what you purchase usually through an additional sales tax in most states...then you pay Property tax on the things that you have earned money to purchase, after paying the sales tax...like cars and homes. And if you invest the money that you earned you also often get taxed again!!! It is a bit much. Then when you die, and leave those things to your family...they have to pay inheritance tax.....
I understand the Government needs to generate some money for Police, Firemen, Military, education, etc....but it's gotten a bit out of hand.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 11-01-2020 at 06:57 AM..

Old 11-01-2020, 06:33 AM

26,691 posts, read 14,649,916 times
How about a voluntary tax system? If the citizens don’t want to fund the government, so be it.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:53 AM

30,078 posts, read 25,194,041 times
Yes. The government should not discourage work by attacking the reward of work.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I feel that we are way overtaxed. You pay taxes when you earn money to the Federal Government, to your state, to your County, to your city...then you pay taxes on what you purchase usually through an additional sales tax in most states...then you pay Property tax on the things that you have earned money to purchase, after paying the sales tax...like cars and homes.It is a bit much. Then when you die, and leave those things to your family...they have to pay inheritance tax.....
I understand the Government needs to generate some money for Police, Firemen, Military, education, etc....but it's gotten a bit out of hand.

Yup I must very much concur and while I'll concede that ( perhaps ) the tax system I and many others support wouldn't be able to foot the bill for the necessary level of government , I really cannot fathom what purpose all these taxes serve besides lining the pockets of bureaucrats/politicians/well connected businessmen .

I'm also very much in favor of Congress passing a balanced budget amendment to our Constitution , but that's a different topic entirely .

Old 11-01-2020, 06:54 AM

15,953 posts, read 12,393,615 times
In theory the government could tax via inflation by simply spending the money they need into existence. Assuming the wages kept up with inflation at an equal pace, we wouldn't even need taxes per say.

This has kind of been going on somewhat since 2010, and especially in 2020, as central banks the world over buy government debt and sit on it basically forever.

Balance Sheets - peacockfedecbassets.pdf

I think the current system works well enough, except there's too many parasites on the bottom that take advantage of government programs basically their whole lives who are big leeches to the system, and in my opinion the tax code is too complex... it would be nice if assuming you didn't deal with cash transactions, the government simply knew your tax bill and no action was required by you at all.

There's no doubt the US is a bloated, corrupt, money hungry system. Will that ever result in runaway inflation or any serious consequences? It's amazing it's survived as long as it has being as stable as it has been.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:58 AM

14,978 posts, read 8,291,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Yup I must very much concur and while I'll concede that ( perhaps ) the tax system I and many others support wouldn't be able to foot the bill for the necessary level of government , I really cannot fathom what purpose all these taxes serve besides lining the pockets of bureaucrats/politicians/well connected businessmen .

I'm also very much in favor of Congress passing a balanced budget amendment to our Constitution , but that's a different topic entirely .

Yes that. If we all have to make budgets to live by, then so should they.
If we can do it, so should they.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How about a voluntary tax system? If the citizens don’t want to fund the government, so be it.

I mean I highly doubt that a system like that would be sufficient enough to fund a ( f.ex ) proper military for the purpose of self defense ( since our current military budget definitely could/should use a giant cut as well ) , however I definitely get where you're coming from/dare say even sympathize a bit .

It's truly scary to know that the government gets so much money/has so much power in a country that is supposedly greatly devoted to the concept of liberty .

Old 11-01-2020, 07:00 AM

30,078 posts, read 25,194,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post

What is "necessary level of government"? Who decides? The founding fathers stressed the importance of maintaining small, limited government. I would love to see that in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies