Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 02:37 PM

14,481 posts, read 20,662,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
If the White House and Pelosi agree to a deal, I really can't imagine McConnell not bringing it to the floor for a vote. I think the chances of that are extremely slim.

I also can't imagine it not passing the senate. Assuming all Democrats vote for it, you only need 13 out of 53 Republicans to vote for it. Considering it is a bipartisan agreement that has been signed off on by Trump, it seems very, very likely that more than 13 Republican Senators will vote for it.
Trump has to sign any bill. If he loses the election he may go wild trying to tear down the country. Some lame ducks just sit on their hands until they leave the White House. I can easily see Trump refusing to sign anything if he loses the election.
Now if they pass a bill and he signs it before the election then he will be telling voters: Look I am signing this into law just for you and you'll get the stimulus checks some time later in November.

I read a story that if Democrats sweep there is a desire for a stimulus plan that has a "multiplier" of $1200 checks. Some democrats want $1200 a month for an extended period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 03:42 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,767,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
He won't put the deal before the Senate because it will lose. There are too many fiscal hawks who would rather just let people hurt by the economic collapse suffer than increase the debt at all. The only reason he is doing the 500 billion bill is because he knows the Dems will kill it as far too little and ineffective. That saves him having to expose his party as indifferent to the struggles of working people.
That is exactly what we saw today - a half-a**ed bill blocked by the House, which is exactly what he knew would happen. Now he can blame dems, when in reality it was a bogus bill which he knew would never see the light of day.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:43 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,767,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
You could be right. he is a sly old turtle, isn't he?
Indeed. He is a cold-hearted one, but he knows exactly what he is doing.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:58 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
So once again, he is putting party before country, which is the entire theme of the Trump presidency.
Moscow Mitch has always put party before country

Old 10-21-2020, 03:59 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
If Trump loses the election he won't be happy at all. Why would he sign a stimulus bill after an election he loses?
I don't see him signing it after the election. He is too spiteful.

Old 10-21-2020, 04:31 PM

1,517 posts, read 541,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Senator McConnell is facing a problem. As noted, he simply can't ignore the fact that some level of stimulus is needed, and that not having the Senate at least vote on one is 'bad optics' right before an election.

However, his proposed 500 billion is viewed as insufficient. Yet, he fears that if the Senate passes a bill around 2 trillion, that it will help the economy just as President Trump is leaving office (assuming Mr. Trump loses, which Mr. McConnell apparently feels will happen).

Why, the good Senator thinks, should Republicans pass a stimulus that the ignorant populace will credit the Democrats for when the economy starts to pick up steam again in 2021? Mr. McConnell is already looking ahead to 2022, and he wants the GOP is be well positioned to blame Biden/Democrats for the failing economy, since voters tend to blame whichever party is in power (or, conversely, credit).

McConnell knows Trump is going to loose, he is trying to throttle back the economy to make things more difficult for Biden.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:07 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
If Trump loses the election he won't be happy at all. Why would he sign a stimulus bill after an election he loses?
I'm sorry. But I thought it was his duty to govern for four years.

I'm guessing if ACB wasn't confirmed by November 3rd and Trump loses he wouldn't do his "duty" and push to get that seat filled?

The stimulus bill is a higher priority to America than a rushed confirmation. A rushed confirmation that breaks the precedent Republicans said they wouldn't break. America should keep that in mind as they cast their ballots.

Old 10-22-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I don't see him signing it after the election. He is too spiteful.
If they can get an agreement and it is signed by Trump before the election than Americans can wait into November - December to get the stimulus checks.
If he signs it before the election he can brag about it and hope to buy some votes.

If he has to sign it after the election (if he loses) I doubt it gets signed into law until after he leaves office.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:42 PM

Congress should agree on and vote for and get signed a stand-alone bill that sends another stimulus check to Americans since they agree on that and it will be in any post election package. That is something they can do this week that will benefit both parties Nov 3.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
If it passes, Turmp will probably say he will sign it right after the election, if he is re--elected and imply he will veto it if not.

Vote for Turmp - get money. Don't, no money for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies