Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 08:16 AM

21,536 posts, read 20,185,217 times

Advertisements

I prefer to vote by absentee ballot. That way I can know exactly what is on the ballot and take my time researching each candidate and proposal. I also don’t have to worry about not making it to the polling station if something comes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 08:23 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,908 posts, read 2,095,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Well, that's your prerogative. But I gotta say you'd be an idiot to risk your life to do something in person if you can safely do it by mail.

Actually, I plan to vote in person, because I want to be sure my vote is counted. But if I felt that going in person would jeopardize my life, you better believe I would vote by mail.
Risk one's life? Can you be any more dramatic? A healthy man (I presume) in his 30s will risk his life by going to in-person voting? From what? Covid? He's gotta a better chance of dying in his car on his way to the polling place than he does from Covid.

Are you people unable to put things in perspective?

Old 10-17-2020, 08:32 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,625,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Risk one's life? Can you be any more dramatic? A healthy man (I presume) in his 30s will risk his life by going to in-person voting? From what? Covid? He's gotta a better chance of dying in his car on his way to the polling place than he does from Covid.

Are you people unable to put things in perspective?
You realize eligible voters are not restricted to healthy, young men - right?

Old 10-17-2020, 08:35 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,438,095 times
I already voted by mail, and it was against trump. I want the US to work together with Japan, Canada, and Western Europe on global issues instead of trying to do its own contradictory thing and damaging its face value.
If you want to vote in person, go ahead. But don’t need to tell others to die for it. I’m past the selective service age, that ended 2 years ago.

Last edited by FrozenI69; 10-17-2020 at 08:49 AM..

Old 10-17-2020, 08:36 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,940,480 times
Got my mail in ballot. I’d vote in person if there was no other option though, I can agree with that part.

What I would be wary of in-person would be the intimidating (and obnoxious) groups the Trump team is training to “stand by” at polling places. The alt-right militias.

”As Trump team rushes to train 'army' of poll watchers, experts on watch for voter intimidation.
...more than a dozen Trump field generals organizing Election Day poll-watching operations in key battleground states and are now engaged in almost-daily training sessions preparing volunteers for long shifts watching the voting process unfold. The president’s campaign is calling it “Trump’s Army,” which they maintain will be a force of 50,000, now being prepped to spend hours quietly eyeballing voters...
https://abcnews.go.com/US/trump-team...ry?id=73542441

Seems like the Trump-teams efforts are actually encouraging us to vote by mail.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:43 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,625,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

I find it absolutely stomach-churning that this voting by mail has become so widespread.

It is not good.
I'm very comfortable with mail in voting.. At least there is a paper trail - and no "hanging chads". Personally, I choose to drop off my ballot using the drive through line at the secure ballot box at our local police station.

I track my ballot online. I see that its been officially accepted, as has my husband's. +2 for Biden.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:48 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You realize eligible voters are not restricted to healthy, young men - right?
You do realize the poster who questioned this man's decision to vote in person, asked him specifically why he wanted to do it in-person, while knowing full well he was 38 years old?

Read before you post.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Irrelevant. There are many people for whom voting in person would risk their health and possibly their life. Their votes are equally important.
Wow, crazy person, I never said they weren't. I was simply saying a healthy 38 year old person has almost zero chance of dying while voting in-person, and has no reason to fear of doing so.

Seriously.....

Old 10-17-2020, 09:03 AM

8,326 posts, read 4,006,996 times
Quote:
Your prerogative. It's pathetic that in what is still a first world country, anyone should need to risk their health and possibly their life to vote. In Colorado we've been successfully voting via mail for years.
It's just a rhetorical question. Got our absentee ballots within a few days in the mail, filled them out and put them in the drop-box. They are ready to be counted on election day.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:06 AM

2,944 posts, read 2,030,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I am in my late-30s, and have always felt like it was my right, my heritage, my duty to vote. And voting in-person is important to me. I find it absolutely repugnant that this mail-in voting seems to be exploding. It is distirbing.

And I would risk acquiring a disease in the process of carrying out my American right to vote (in person) if that is what it required.
Considering you're from 'Mogadishu' I'm surprised you don't have bigger safety concerns while trying to vote in person. But since you believe you are at such a serious risk of contracting Covid-19 at the voting booth, you might want to consider you could get it then pass it on to your parents or grandma and grandpa, or someone else's family members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies