Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 01:35 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,590,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhuru View Post
This was the question that Reagan asked during the debate with Jimmy Carter in 1980. It is a question that has been asked repeatedly since then in connection with presidential elections.

Gallup did a recent poll and I was surprised at the results ..... in fact, more American voters think they are better off than four years ago. In fact the polling shows a higher percentage than during prior presidential elections. Despite covid, the lockdowns and the economic downturn that has impacted so many families, if this poll is to be believed, 56% of voters say they are better off.

Not sure what this means for the presidential election but is it likely that voters will reject Trump even as they feel that they are better off than four years ago, especially given that the comparison is when the Democratic nominee was then the Vice President?

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/gall...-coverage.aspx
I am better off than 4 years ago. However I would have answered that question the same way for the last 5 Elections.

I find it however hard to argue that the country is better of than 4 years ago. Higher unemployment, more political polarisation, a homeless crisis on our Hands, Zero new net jobs created in this administration, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 01:49 PM

1,049 posts, read 964,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I guess that begs the question, what is "the country"? If voters say yes, but your argument is no, what are you referring to?

Me, personally, I am better off than 4 years ago and that does weigh into my decision. I'm no fan of President Trump but I'm faced with the question of "Will I be better off in 4 years under Biden?" As much as I am not a fan of President Trump, I just don't see myself pushing the Biden button in November.

Things could change between now and then, but that's where I'm at now.
"The county" is the United States of America. Is there a sense the country is more unified or more divided? Is the country experiencing economic instability? Is there unrest, wars, etc? This is what I am referring to.

Me personally I don't attribute my financial stability to whoever is president. I attribute it to my personal success (which has nothing to do with the president). I have succeeded under Obama and also under Trump.

One thing I will factor in is - was the general state of the economy and the nation more stable 4 years ago compared to today? I think it's pretty clear that yes it was. Which is why voting for Trump to me doesn't make a whole lot of sense. After seeing the path the country has gone down since he has been president, there's no indication to me that he will bring things back to how they were or better.

Old 10-12-2020, 01:51 PM

21,988 posts, read 9,569,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
I think a majority of Americans would say no since 4 years ago we didn't have a deadly pandemic that killed 200k people and was horribly handled.
Didn't look at the poll, did you? 56% said yes.

Old 10-12-2020, 01:53 PM

19,736 posts, read 10,166,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
"The county" is the United States of America. Is there a sense the country is more unified or more divided? Is the country experiencing economic instability? Is there unrest, wars, etc? This is what I am referring to.

Me personally I don't attribute my financial stability to whoever is president. I attribute it to my personal success (which has nothing to do with the president). I have succeeded under Obama and also under Trump.

One thing I will factor in is - was the general state of the economy and the nation more stable 4 years ago compared to today? I think it's pretty clear that yes it was. Which is why voting for Trump to me doesn't make a whole lot of sense. After seeing the path the country has gone down since he has been president, there's no indication to me that he will bring things back to how they were or better.
Until the pandemic, unemployment was at record lows.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:07 PM

5,902 posts, read 3,913,602 times
Regardless of whether Trump or Biden win, the country will be worse off four years from now than it is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies