Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 03:24 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,535,603 times

Advertisements

The assumptions by the "experts" and the pollsters assume that Gen Z, which includes the 18-25 age range, will turn out heavily in support for Joe Biden on November 3. {smh}

Quote:
Don't Assume Gen Z Will Show Up

While many may assume widespread electoral support for Biden among younger voters is a fait accompli, a surprising number of Gen Z voters may have already chosen to opt out of voting come November.

The idea that these voters would essentially “stay home” on Election Day is counterintuitive, given their heightened interest in our polarized times, but my ideas changed once the fall school year reopened and I had a chance to speak with scores of students around the country.

Their stories were consistent: Gen Zers were having trouble accepting Joe Biden as their candidate of choice and staying home and opting out was appealing to them. Despite my comments that this could lead to a second Trump term, students consistently said that Biden did not inspire them. New survey data suggests that Gen Z’s turnout may be overstated. Politicos should take note.
Of course anyone who has been around a while knows too well that every single election, without fail, is proclaimed to be THE MOST IMPORTANT ELECTION OF OUR LIFETIMES!!!! (and probably ever). OK. So this one is too.

Also, virtually every election (every one that I can recall) we are told by the "experts" that the youngsters are going to break form this time and show up to vote in record numbers. But they never do. It looks like they are not likely to do so this time either, assumptions being used by the pollsters, notwithstanding.

Why? Because they are not impressed by Joe Biden and they do not identify with him as a leader closely enough to get out and vote for him.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-08-2020 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 03:30 PM

30,085 posts, read 18,698,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The assumptions by the "experts" and the pollsters assume that Gen Z, which includes the 18-25 age range, will turn out heavily in support for Joe Biden on November 3. {smh}

Of course anyone who has been around a while knows too well that every single election, without fail, is proclaimed to be THE MOST IMPORTANT ELECTION OF OUR LIFETIMES!!!! (and probably ever). OK. So this one is too.

Also, virtually every election (every one that I can recall) we are told by the "experts" that the youngsters are going to break form this time and show up to vote in record numbers. But they never do. It looks like they are not likely to do so this time either, assumptions being used by the pollsters, notwithstanding.

Why? Because they are not impressed by Joe Biden and they do not identify with him as a leader closely enough to get out and vote for him.
Good luck

Youngsters and minorities never show up, nor do the poor.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-08-2020 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Quote edit

Old 10-08-2020, 03:53 PM

7,597 posts, read 4,172,313 times
Don't they usually make this mistake?

Old 10-08-2020, 03:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,333,263 times
I remember the 1972 election between incumbent republican Nixon and democrat McGovern. With the McGovern opposition to the Vietnam war, many of us young people (then) supported McGovern for his anti-war platform. He still lost, in fact by the biggest margin in history. Part of that may have been opposition to his other big idea, guaranteed minimum income, which appealed to the "hippies" of the time, but not to the taxpayers. What we learn from this is that even when there is an issue important to the young and more of them come out, it may still not be enough to make a difference in the outcome. The democrats missed an opportunity to come up with someone younger, with personality, who would have caused some excitement with voters of all ages. Very few will vote for Biden because they like him, most are just voting against Trump.

Old 10-08-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Don't they usually make this mistake?
Pretty much every time. I think there may have been a bit better turnout for Obama than normal. But even that was well below what was expected by the "experts".

Old 10-08-2020, 03:57 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,400,304 times
Yup. Every darn election. That being said, the data says that even if they just show up like in the past Trump is toast. so I dont let it bother me much when im figuring the odds. But I do pay attention to those who think that somehow this time will be different.

Old 10-08-2020, 04:00 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,401,851 times
every single election, without fail, is proclaimed to be THE MOST IMPORTANT ELECTION OF OUR LIFETIMES!!!! (and probably ever).
Yes. and "Democracy is at stake" seems to occur every 4 years.

Old 10-08-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yup. Every darn election. That being said, the data says that even if they just show up like in the past Trump is toast. so I dont let it bother me much when im figuring the odds. But I do pay attention to those who think that somehow this time will be different.
Just like in 2016. Amiright?

Old 10-08-2020, 04:01 PM

10,816 posts, read 4,370,274 times
I wonder if they can make up for Trump winning 20% of the Black vote.

Old 10-08-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
I wonder if they can make up for Trump winning 20% of the Black vote.
If Trump wins 20% of the black vote, not only is he going to win this election in a landslide, but the Democrat left and the media is going to become positively unglued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies