Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 07:08 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,112,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
SEDITION - Conduct or language inciting rebellion against the authority of a state.

BLM and Antifa are committing sedition.
The incompetent mayor is acting in violation of oath of office, which may be moot, if the politician never bothered to file a signed oath.
did you copy that westguest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 04:42 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,527,093 times
AADAD A little knowledge is dangerous and you have very little.. This jetgraphics can't even write a decent sentence in English, so I am not going to take his or your legal advice.

The government would have to prove each element.

- Sedition is a serious felony punishable by fines and up to 20 years in prison and it refers to the act of inciting revolt or violence against a lawful authority WITH THE GOAL OF DESTROYING or OVERTHROWING it.

That specific goal has to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt and with specificity,

A GED, even if you both have one (or are sharing), is not sufficient knowledge for legal opinions.

Here are examples - please read.

"I wish Trump was dead" "I hope someone runs over Trump in their car so we can have a new government"

Those are not specific threats.

"Sometime this afternoon Trump will be leaving the White House through the front gate. Let's bring our guns and shoot him full of holes" - That has the specificity to be actionable.

Last edited by WestGuest; 09-22-2020 at 05:15 PM..

Old 09-22-2020, 11:10 PM

840 posts, read 761,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It's a mystery to me why Trump supporters move here when they clearly hate Seattle, Seattle politicians and everything to do with the place. That said, I hope Trump supporters are prepared for the exact same tactics to be used against them. Threats of sedition, threats of federal funds being withheld, federal resources being withheld, targeted focus against red states, conservatives, etc. are all future options after what we've seen. When they are hearing "Lock him up!" and they scream about it, it will be tiny violins playing.

Trump wants to make hate against Seattle a symbol and Barr is his willing puppet. Everyone knows what all this is about.
I loved Seattle years ago but have watched it turn into an increasingly lawless and dysfunctional city under Progressives. We have much of downtown and parks and other areas taken over by urban campers, often with criminal behaviors. I welcome any attempts at restoring the rule of law here. I don’t understand how anyone can be happy with what passes for leadership here. Chronically homeless and/or addicts are given more rights than tax paying citizens and allowed to create 3rd world conditions in previously nice safe areas.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:46 AM

256 posts, read 114,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
I loved Seattle years ago but have watched it turn into an increasingly lawless and dysfunctional city under Progressives. We have much of downtown and parks and other areas taken over by urban campers, often with criminal behaviors. I welcome any attempts at restoring the rule of law here. I don’t understand how anyone can be happy with what passes for leadership here. Chronically homeless and/or addicts are given more rights than tax paying citizens and allowed to create 3rd world conditions in previously nice safe areas.
So how exactly do suggest with chronic homeless and related addiction? Move them does nothing to alleviate these issues; it just relocates them.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
AADAD A little knowledge is dangerous and you have very little.. This jetgraphics can't even write a decent sentence in English, so I am not going to take his or your legal advice.

The government would have to prove each element.

- Sedition is a serious felony punishable by fines and up to 20 years in prison and it refers to the act of inciting revolt or violence against a lawful authority WITH THE GOAL OF DESTROYING or OVERTHROWING it.

That specific goal has to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt and with specificity,

A GED, even if you both have one (or are sharing), is not sufficient knowledge for legal opinions.

Here are examples - please read.

"I wish Trump was dead" "I hope someone runs over Trump in their car so we can have a new government"

Those are not specific threats.

"Sometime this afternoon Trump will be leaving the White House through the front gate. Let's bring our guns and shoot him full of holes" - That has the specificity to be actionable.
Gosh you are so smart. Every one of us I'm sure has recognized your ability to edify the people of CD...

Old 09-23-2020, 08:30 AM

15,850 posts, read 6,551,421 times
There's a decent write-up on sedition under US law in findlaw:

https://criminal.findlaw.com/crimina.../sedition.html

It seems unlikely to be applicable to the general protests currently underway. However, there may prove to be individual acts that could be prosecuted. I'd imagine it involves the distribution of arms and a planned violent attack on a federal building. Potentially somebody like Timothy McVeigh, for example.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:49 AM

"inciting revolt or violence against a lawful authority with the goal of destroying or overthrowing it"

The mayors did not stop the attacks and killings though it was their lawful duty to do so.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:12 AM

467 posts, read 1,045,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogaKoga View Post
So how exactly do suggest with chronic homeless and related addiction? Move them does nothing to alleviate these issues; it just relocates them.
No doubt, it’s a difficult problem. Take addiction, the leading cause of homelessness- there really isn’t a government solution to that. In my opinion, the root cause of many of these problems is the breakdown of the family and the way we’re raising our kids, but that’s a different discussion.

But city governments can certainly control whether or not they become a collection point for these people. They absolutely will gravitate to cities that decriminalize drug use, theft, littering, and the occupance of public spaces. In that regard, I do believe certain city governments have failed their citizens. The difference between, say, Bellevue and Seattle couldn’t be more stark.

City policy can determine whether your city has a manageable homeless problem, or becomes completely overwhelmed with them.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:32 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogaKoga View Post
I suggest we relocate them to the 33 Washington counties Seattle sends $3 Billion dollars a year to. It's time they share some of the work instead just taking Seattle's money.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:02 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,081,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Chronically homeless and/or addicts are given more rights than tax paying citizens and allowed to create 3rd world conditions in previously nice safe areas.
Really. Do you happen to have examples of where homeless citizens have more rights than those housed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
But city governments can certainly control whether or not they become a collection point for these people. They absolutely will gravitate to cities that decriminalize drug use, theft, littering, and the occupance of public spaces. In that regard, I do believe certain city governments have failed their citizens. The difference between, say, Bellevue and Seattle couldn’t be more stark.

City policy can determine whether your city has a manageable homeless problem, or becomes completely overwhelmed with them.
Can you cite the state statutes that give cities (as opposed to county or state courts) the powers to do that? Please look in RCW 35 for your guidance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies