Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2020, 07:37 PM

653 posts, read 222,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
That's why the old rule of innocent until proven guilty was a pretty good system.
I miss that system. Maybe we can bring it back one day.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:39 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,313,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
If that al.com story is true, then he deserves no sympathy. One of the worst things that a person can due at a time like this in our country's history is to make up some fallacious story for the purpose of getting attention.
I am willing to chalk up the incident to hypersensitivity.

I'd like to see Watson and NASCAR deliver a joint apology, in person.

And then everyone moves on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Idiotic thing to say. Nascar is actually on Bubba's side. They know to move forward the rednecks waving symbols of white supremacy at their events aren't acceptable. You're going to see the racists cry a river but it's long past time to ban symbols of hate...
The use of the word "redneck" is racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The media should have waited for verification. If it was a misunderstanding, as is the narrative right now, there's absolutely no way a good faith debunking by officials couldn't have been achieved almost immediately.
I think most of the MSM stinks. I think any story (think Covington kids) that fits their own prejudices jumps to the top of the pile. They are also motivated by ratings. Running with a provocative story boosts ratings. Waiting for the truth doesn't boost your ratings.

Back in the good old days of news from a once a day newspaper and 30 minutes with Huntley or Brinkley they didn't have time for BS, unvetted stories. The 24/7 news has not made us more informed.

Quote:
As I said, the regular workers there that know that garage would have said "That's not a noose, we've been using that as a handle for years".
And then someone asks, "why do you make door pulls look like nooses here in Bull Connor country".

I'd keep my mouth shut too. Volunteering information never works out well.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:42 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,535,705 times
Quote:
I never in a million years thought the story would take this direction. I thought identifying an actual noose and it being verified in some capacity was the bare minimum factual context when the story broke. In the other thread I said it was 50-50 on which "side" left it there thinking it was legit or a hoax but not this crazy development.

I still don't understand how it couldn't have been debunked almost immediately.
In a world where exercise equipment in a public park is a noose and a hate crime, nothing can surprise anymore.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:44 PM

653 posts, read 222,508 times
Quote:
I don't know anything about NASCAR or garages. I brought this point up earlier though: how in the world didn't an onsite (you're using the word local) worker debunk this almost immediately?

"That's a pull rope. We've been using them for years."

Once it was reported was everyone whisked away into quarantine or something? What the hell happened here? The feds sent 15 agents to examine a garage door for god's sake.
Because we are at a point where if anyone dare say something was not a racist act, they will be labeled racist, fired, arrested, jailed and their house will be burned down.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:45 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,093,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And this seems like it may have been an honest (yet ridiculously stupid) mistake.

I question the dopes who have to make these things up. Remember the story of....I think it was a cadet who found the N word scrawled across his locker? Only to find out he's the idiot who put it there?
When you go around with a chip on your shoulder...

When you go around looking for racism behind every food label and every single human interaction...

You get out of it what you have put into it.

"Honest mistake" is way too generous.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:46 PM

6,382 posts, read 2,932,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUtoTX View Post
That explains why Bubba never showed anyone a pic of it. He knew it was a fake all along. They should bill him for the cost of the investigation.

Quote:
It is important to note that virtually every single manual garage door at Talladega speedway has these ropes and hand-loops tied into them for use as pull-downs. They now appear to have been purposefully mistaken for “nooses.”

Old 06-23-2020, 07:48 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,535,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
That explains why Bubba never showed anyone a pic of it. He knew it was a fake all along. They should bill him for the cost of the investigation.
He got some great photos out of it at the race on the weekend and now a less tiny proportion of the population have ever heard of him. Probably a win in his books.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:50 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,415,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Side Out View Post
Because we are at a point where if anyone dare say something was not a racist act, they will be labeled racist, fired, arrested, jailed and their house will be burned down.
I think this is a legitimate theory on what happened here. I wonder if the local workers knew immediately what it was but got scared and realized that they just better stay quiet and only talk when FBI agents show up.

If that's how things are going to be from now on this country is going to move at a snail's pace and nobody is going to be able to tell what's real, what's a hoax, and what's an honest mistake.

Everyone just stay in your lane with your head down until you die!

Old 06-23-2020, 07:50 PM

7,519 posts, read 2,819,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
So NASCAR mechanics don't know what an emergency pull rope on a garage door is? Gimme a break.

According to a local guy down there,they are on all the doors. It was not a noose, it was a loop in the rope to grab.
It will sure sell a lot of stuff for a mediocre driver.
This right here. Bubba may be the idiot who only drives the car but the rest of the dopes on the team probably are not completely unaware of what is around the garages. They all should have a stern talking to and the idiot that ran to NASCAR if he didn't talk to the team manager beforehand, his ass should be on the first bus outta town. This crap has done more damage to NASCAR than Covid.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:53 PM

19,724 posts, read 12,304,284 times
Quote:
I don't know anything about NASCAR or garages. I brought this point up earlier though: how in the world didn't an onsite (you're using the word local) worker debunk this almost immediately?

"That's a pull rope. We've been using them for years."

Once it was reported was everyone whisked away into quarantine or something? What the hell happened here? The feds sent 15 agents to examine a garage door for god's sake.
Yeah there's no logic there. It should never have gotten to the point it did. Everyone who worked in those garages knew that was just a door pull loop. Weird to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies