Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 01:01 PM

3,975 posts, read 2,023,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
If BLM violent protesters come to your town or county, what do you think the general reaction would be from your community?

Do you think there will be possibly violent counter protests, or do you think the majority of residents will ignore the protesters as much as possible and let local law enforcement handle the situation, or do you think that something else will occur?

(I know I specified "conservatives", but -- of course -- non-conservatives can offer their opinions, too.)
I tend to see cities run by conservatives (there are some) having a different official response to violence and mayhem than really progressive run cities. I'm from Minneapolis originally, and the uber proggies that run that city now clearly failed, and failed hard. I'm not sure if the failing was done via clueless ineptitude or willful design at this point, but it doesnt matter. 700+ buildings, residences and businesses were damaged/looted and or burned.

But to be honest, I am surprised that the few conservatives in the progressive cities haven't taken further personal measures against rioters/looters so far, especially when their own property and families well being was at stake.

If these protests that turn violent linger on (or even more occupy type events), I can see conservatives losing their patience for sure.

It wont be counter protests as much as vigilante actions IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 02:07 PM

37,090 posts, read 31,372,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I live in Memphis and am surprised to hear that LE stood their ground. I've heard stuff on the radio that suggested that the mayor and city council are pretty liberal and certainly Nashville is much more liberal than it would have been even 20 years ago. I heard a report that some of the business owners on Broadway were getting frustrated with the protesters, as even though the protesters have reportedly been pretty peaceful, they feel that their heavy presence on Broadway was discouraging customers from wanting to come visit them and hurting their businesses.
Yes Nashville is more liberal than most of the state, actually all the metro areas are. Peaceful protests are one thing but when they turned violent the mayor and governor backed law enforcement and mobilized the national guard for additional support.

And yes I'm sure many business owners are tired of the protests downtown and were not happy with the destruction that occurred that one night. That really has nothing to do with the how the officials responded to the actual violence. It was not tolerated.

How are things in Memphis with the protests? I read law enforcement stood their ground there as well.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:15 PM

25,916 posts, read 17,702,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
If BLM violent protesters come to your town or county, what do you think the general reaction would be from your community?

Do you think there will be possibly violent counter protests, or do you think the majority of residents will ignore the protesters as much as possible and let local law enforcement handle the situation, or do you think that something else will occur?...............
Local law enforcement would handle it, and handle it well. In my red state, the police know they have the backing of the population.
There have been instances over the years when someone was killed while resisting, but no violent demonstrations. In every instance a police officer or some other person was injured first - that makes a big difference.

I should note: Our city of 35,000 is actually run by conservative Democrats, but the state is Republican.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:15 PM

12,160 posts, read 6,710,408 times
I have a close friend who lives in Sandpoint, ID. Both Sandpoint and Coeur d’Alene had peaceful protests, but on almost every corner were armed citizen patrols guarding businesses and to avoid any riots Or looting happening.
The protesters in both cities thanked the armed patrols for their protection.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:19 PM

1,775 posts, read 1,721,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes Nashville is more liberal than most of the state, actually all the metro areas are. Peaceful protests are one thing but when they turned violent the mayor and governor backed law enforcement and mobilized the national guard for additional support.

And yes I'm sure many business owners are tired of the protests downtown and were not happy with the destruction that occurred that one night. That really has nothing to do with the how the officials responded to the actual violence. It was not tolerated.

How are things in Memphis with the protests? I read law enforcement stood their ground there as well.
There have been some form of protests pretty much every night and there were some tense situations between the protesters and the Memphis PD but very little in the way of actual violence or destruction. We've been really lucky in that regard, as Memphis could easily have been a tinderbox.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:25 PM

289 posts, read 145,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I don’t know anybody who could live with themselves for killing an unarmed person in the process of stealing their TV or Xbox.
I would, in a heartbeat, if they broke into MY house and are stealing. Then go to bed and sleep like a baby. Welcome to TX.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:31 PM

4,444 posts, read 1,467,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
No chance that would happen in my town. They would get F'd up quick. Folks here wouldn't wait for cops. I no longer live in Leona Valley.
LOL. Same with my neighborhood.

Rioters and looters have to go to places where there is sympathy for the cause they are going to subvert to commit their crimes.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:35 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,530,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUtoTX View Post
I would, in a heartbeat, if they broke into MY house and are stealing. Then go to bed and sleep like a baby. Welcome to TX.
Texas people are such big talkers. When the rioting and looting first started in Minneapolis you guys said "That wont happen in TX, we dont put up with that nonsense here" and then it did happen in Texas and then you guys said "Its a bunch of democrats in the city that are doing it."

Which is it? You guys are big talkers. You sat on the sidelines just like people in Minnesota, Ohio, and Georgia did.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:40 PM

4,444 posts, read 1,467,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Texas people are such big talkers. When the rioting and looting first started in Minneapolis you guys said "That wont happen in TX, we dont put up with that nonsense here" and then it did happen in Texas and then you guys said "Its a bunch of democrats in the city that are doing it."

Which is it? You guys are big talkers. You sat on the sidelines just like people in Minnesota, Ohio, and Georgia did.
Let rioters come to the neighborhoods to "take what is theirs". Watch what happens.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:41 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,530,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Let rioters come to the neighborhoods to "take what is theirs". Watch what happens.
You wouldnt do anything but hide and call 911.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies