Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 09:20 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,623,084 times

Advertisements

More than four times as many American adults oppose "defunding the police", as those who support the idea. It's one of the most lopsided polls taken in recent memory.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/poli...m-america-poll

Quote:
Despite calls by activists and protesters to defund police departments, most Americans do not support reducing law enforcement budgets. Close to two-thirds (65%) oppose cutting police force funding. Just 16 percent of Democrats and 15 percent of Republicans support that idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Poll: Large majority of Americans oppose "Defunding the police", only 15% support defunding-yougovpoll_defundpolice_09jun2020.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 09:32 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,795 times
Just another reason why Trump will be reelected this November. I believe even Joe Biden has come out against defending the police. But too little too late. Trump is going to take the minority of Democrats who want to defund the police and beat Joe over the head with that point.

Democrats still haven’t learned that they have to win the electoral college vote not the popular vote. They can win the popular vote all day long.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:03 AM

25,459 posts, read 9,825,519 times
Democrats nor anyone else that I'm aware of is advocating doing away with police. I'm not exactly familiar with the process, but I want to learn more about what it means. Restructuring the resources maybe?

Old 06-09-2020, 10:10 AM

10,084 posts, read 14,469,750 times
This is a disastrous situation for Joe Biden and the Democrats.

It will definitely lead to Trump being re-elected, if this defunding situation continues to be discussed.

Democrats are panicking and need the black vote, and this is a tool to scramble and get that black vote.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, as the age old saying goes.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:07 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,623,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
It will definitely lead to Trump being re-elected, if this defunding situation continues to be discussed.
Just about anything that anybody can discuss, will definitely lead to Trump being re-elected. That's why Democrats are trying so hard to stop discussion, deflect, change the subject, smear Republicans, etc.... all things that cannot be discussed, but can only be hurled. It's their only hope.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:33 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,044,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Democrats nor anyone else that I'm aware of is advocating doing away with police. I'm not exactly familiar with the process, but I want to learn more about what it means. Restructuring the resources maybe?
The nyc mayor’s wife thinks a NYPD free city would be “nirvana”.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:19 PM

7,481 posts, read 6,267,244 times
Quote:
https://ktla.com/news/california/ber...ead-of-police/

Old 07-16-2020, 07:31 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,955,928 times
its never about how many support or oppose something, its always about how many actually speak out and take action to support their belief. Silence may be golden but it is usually very ineffective.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:38 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 12 days ago)

35,640 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Yes. Some restructuring of resources.

I posted this earlier, sorry for those who already read it.

The movement to "defund the police" by mainstream democrats involves taking some portion of the police budget and reallocating it to resources that might be able to better solve a situation than a cop.

Hire people with counseling or negotiating backgrounds who could diffuse non lethal situations.

For example, if a parent called 911 on a mentally ill family member who was out of control and throwing kitchen chairs and can't calm down, maybe send a cop and a social worker rather than 2 cops to the scene.

Someone who called police because a neighbor had a loud party going on, could send a cop and a social worker rather than 2 cops.

A single mom who calls police to put the fear of God into her 12 year old, could get a social worker in believable police uniform. (And yes, surprisingly, single mothers do seem to call cops to solve discipline problems with their adolescents often).

Things that clearly require a police presence would still get cops.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:48 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,810,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes. Some restructuring of resources.

I posted this earlier, sorry for those who already read it.

The movement to "defund the police" by mainstream democrats involves taking some portion of the police budget and reallocating it to resources that might be able to better solve a situation than a cop.

Hire people with counseling or negotiating backgrounds who could diffuse non lethal situations.

For example, if a parent called 911 on a mentally ill family member who was out of control and throwing kitchen chairs and can't calm down, maybe send a cop and a social worker rather than 2 cops to the scene.

Someone who called police because a neighbor had a loud party going on, could send a cop and a social worker rather than 2 cops.

A single mom who calls police to put the fear of God into her 12 year old, could get a social worker in believable police uniform. (And yes, surprisingly, single mothers do seem to call cops to solve discipline problems with their adolescents often).

Things that clearly require a police presence would still get cops.
Yeah, that'll work. What cop wouldn't want a social worker for his backup?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies