Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 04:32 PM

5,637 posts, read 2,380,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
If there was a hot mic near every popular and famous person 24/7, you'd have a lot of popular and famous people unemployed thanks to the PC police out there.

Or elected as president of the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 05:03 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,154,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Fair enough but he if he's suspended he can't race so the fans won't be able to cheer him on.

Good point on this going under the radar with the season suspended and Covid-19 coverage dominating the news.
Perhaps but I think sponsors will dictate that he isn't signed. He lost his sponsors. McDonald's, Credit One and General Motors all severed ties with him. It will be hard finding others to sponsor him in this economy when NASCAR returns. Chip fired him because Chip knew he couldn't field the car with sponsor kryptonite.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:10 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,536,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Perhaps but I think sponsors will dictate that he isn't signed. He lost his sponsors. McDonald's, Credit One and General Motors all severed ties with him. It will be hard finding others to sponsor him in this economy when NASCAR returns. Chip fired him because Chip knew he couldn't field the car with sponsor kryptonite.
Yeah, we'll see if he can rustle up some sponsors. He may benefit from saying it during the peak of Covid-19, like I said, but I doubt it. The internet never forgets and it's on video so if/when things get back to "normal" he'll have to address it all over again.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:18 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,302,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gushball View Post
You have to be a huge racist to just say it like that
Yeah, that was my thought: the words was said all vernacular-like.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:23 PM

413 posts, read 212,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gushball View Post
You have to be a huge racist to just say it like that
Or someone who listens to a lot of rap music, as he does.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:02 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,154,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yeah, we'll see if he can rustle up some sponsors. He may benefit from saying it during the peak of Covid-19, like I said, but I doubt it. The internet never forgets and it's on video so if/when things get back to "normal" he'll have to address it all over again.
I highly doubt sponsors want him attached to their image. I mean Papa John's tossed John over not one but two instances. They never changed the name (though they should have IMHO.) If they dumped him, in a sponsor heavy league, I doubt that he would get a chance, especially due to all the money lost by companies.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:12 AM

4,812 posts, read 3,353,466 times
Marcus Stroman has challenged Larson to a fight to raise money for charity. Will Larson except?

https://sports.yahoo.com/marcus-stro...8V7ZVti4CIdMco

Old 04-15-2020, 06:26 AM

28,336 posts, read 16,559,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB12inTB2020 View Post
Did Maher get fired?
Nope.

So anything less than firing is "getting a pass"?

You and I seem to agree that after this blows over Larson will certainly find another ride - he probably wouldn't have been with CGR after this season anyway, so it was an easy PR win for them.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:33 AM

79,553 posts, read 61,717,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Kanye has won several Grammys, but I don’t think they were awarded BECAUSE he used the word.

In any case, Kanye is black.

That said, I saw the context in which this driver said it and it’s clear that he wasn’t being racist. In fact, he said it in a way that let’s you know that he got it from listening to rap like most kids his age.

It’s unfortunate that they’ve fired him, but black folks had nothing to do with that. That came down from NASCAR, his team and his sponsors. Guarantee there ain’t one black man in the aforementioned.
^^^^This.

There is some irony though as I watch people tee off on his unfortunate use of a word he's not supposed to say no matter what in our culture, because they're using the opportunity to target some group of people they don't like.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:34 AM

28,336 posts, read 16,559,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB12inTB2020 View Post
Or someone who listens to a lot of rap music, as he does.
I listen to a lot of rap music. My first cassette tape I ever bought was RUN DMC. Ghetto Boys, Outkast, Dr Dre, Snoop, CLIPSE, Tribe Called Quest, EPMD, Erik B and Rakim, Beastie Boys, Jay-Z, Run The Jewels, De La Soul, Ludacris, Main Source, Biggie, Li'l Wayne, LL Cool J, ad infinitum.

I've never used that word in conversation.

I agree that with a much younger generation (I'm 45) the word is used much more freely by non-blacks - which is troubling, IMO. However, Larson is 27, not 19. He knows better.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies