Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 07:35 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

Warning - only look at this stuff if you understand trends and the power of innovation, etc.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/...p-move/588673/

For most, the telling maps are lower on the page, specifically "change in Brain Drain since 1970", which indicates whether a state is doing better or worse at attracting the "best people".

This is, of course, one indicator of why inequality tends to accelerate...the cycle feeds on itself. A guy like Tim Apple (I mean Tim Cook) is born in Alabama but certainly doesn't stay there. I can say the same about some members of my extended family who went from PA. to MA and then CA a generation or two ago.

I can't propose a solution - it was thought that the internet would provide opportunity to the places "left behind", but this does not seem to be the case - and, if it is, those people leave once they discover what is out there.

Note - please don't rebut this data using "lots of people are moving to the sunbelt" - which is, of course, a proven fact. BUT, that is driven by warmth (proven) and retirement, etc.

Additionally, growth has even slowed in Florida as young people are not finding it (in general) to their liking. It's no longer the top 10 states where Millennials are moving. Even retirees are often finding they made a mistake:
https://www.stateoffloridaliving.com...ace-to-retire/

"they documented more people moving out of Florida (back to their home state?) during the time studied than the total population now living in 40 individual US states. Roughly every 3 years, a million new people move to Florida to replace the roughly million people who moved there previously, and then moved out."

Not to say Florida population will not grow. There are always new butts to put in huts. But the article above is about brain drain and innovation and such things more than our dreams of Beachfront living or Golfing when old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 07:48 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Interesting maps showing a lot of what would expect.
1) Some of the maps that start in 1970... 1970 was 50 years ago and a drastically different time. I would rather see a start year of 2000. Someone who started at age 18 in 1970 would have retired at age 67 already.
2) I looked at the net brain drain 2017 map with the most interest. The green states are mostly hellishly expensive to live in. Have no doubt that the NY being green is entirely NYC and IL being entirely Chicago. Two places where 100K a year with a family is working class at best. Even TX is now climbing into more expensive territory.
3) Well done high speed rail could help some areas. See Martinsburg WV at the end of the DC train lines as an example. Certainly not a boom town... except when you compare it to Bluefield WV. Americans are unlikely to support that much infrastructure. Done right, the far flung places could be where the lower levels of high tech America live and are not forced to spend 50% of their gross pay on housing. Will not happen much. That takes money.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:13 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Warning - only look at this stuff if you understand trends and the power of innovation, etc.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/...p-move/588673/

For most, the telling maps are lower on the page, specifically "change in Brain Drain since 1970", which indicates whether a state is doing better or worse at attracting the "best people".

This is, of course, one indicator of why inequality tends to accelerate...the cycle feeds on itself. A guy like Tim Apple (I mean Tim Cook) is born in Alabama but certainly doesn't stay there. I can say the same about some members of my extended family who went from PA. to MA and then CA a generation or two ago.

I can't propose a solution - it was thought that the internet would provide opportunity to the places "left behind", but this does not seem to be the case - and, if it is, those people leave once they discover what is out there.

Note - please don't rebut this data using "lots of people are moving to the sunbelt" - which is, of course, a proven fact. BUT, that is driven by warmth (proven) and retirement, etc.

Additionally, growth has even slowed in Florida as young people are not finding it (in general) to their liking. It's no longer the top 10 states where Millennials are moving. Even retirees are often finding they made a mistake:
https://www.stateoffloridaliving.com...ace-to-retire/

"they documented more people moving out of Florida (back to their home state?) during the time studied than the total population now living in 40 individual US states. Roughly every 3 years, a million new people move to Florida to replace the roughly million people who moved there previously, and then moved out."

Not to say Florida population will not grow. There are always new butts to put in huts. But the article above is about brain drain and innovation and such things more than our dreams of Beachfront living or Golfing when old.
So what?
Young people tend to move where the jobs and entertainment are. Older folks tend to move back to the peaceful rural areas. Its a large, diverse country we live in with unique states. Something for everyone.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:42 AM

21,145 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Probably because most major corporations (the suppliers of the highest skilled jobs) are in major cities.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:56 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
This has been going on for 100 years, but its something new you say !!! lol

Now that's a brain drain !!!

Old 01-22-2020, 09:04 AM

1,239 posts, read 510,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
This has been going on for 100 years, but its something new you say !!! lol

Now that's a brain drain !!!
That would explain why some states seem to be filled with nothing but morons.
100 Years of having their best and most talented leave as soon as was viable.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:08 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
The whole country is brain drained.
Kids are getting dumber and dumber.
Thank you internet, xbox, and MTV.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:11 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Having spent my entire life in NC, which predates 1970, I would dispute there's been any brain drain in my state. I'd also note the article says the study...

Quote:
and focuses on highly educated people in their post-college and post-graduate-school years—people between the ages of 31 and 40 who are either “movers” or “leavers,” heading off to different states, or “stayers” who continue to live in their home state.
Do 100% of NC natives college grads stay in NC? No, and I doubt any state could claim such a stat.

But more highly-skilled folks are moving here than leaving, as high-skills technology and finance jobs move here to replace manufacturing (low skill) jobs.

Total non-farm employment has gone from 3.2MM to 4.6MM, while manufacturing has sagged from 850K to 475K jobs.

https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.nc.htm

Old 01-22-2020, 09:13 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

i.e. "I'm an American hating Democrat. I look for the worst every day and then tell people it's fact".

Of course, the sources are nothing but Opinion.

/thread

Old 01-22-2020, 09:15 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
i.e. "I'm an American hating Democrat, and I'm a lot smarter than "you people". I look for the worst every day and then tell people it's fact".

Of course, the sources are nothing but Opinion.

/thread
I slightly modified your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies