Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 04:38 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,560,901 times

Advertisements

If I have to hear one more time ‘potential’ cure ... every study says that to get more funding thrown at it. Put up or shut up. Until then I will be fasting and eating low carb.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:08 PM

18,464 posts, read 7,103,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Keto isn't a product pitched by a snake-oil salesman. It's just a diet. There are lots of anecdotal examples of it curing cancer. It's already doctor recommended as a supplement to chemo therapy.

I'm not trying to dis Keto.....I don't really know much about it honestly.

But it sounds like you might want to check into the difference between causation and correlation.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:47 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,560,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I'm not trying to dis Keto.....I don't really know much about it honestly.
But it sounds like you might want to check into the difference between causation and correlation.
It isn't like the medical industry is going to do tests of Keto so people will have to use their anecdotal examples but there is lots of support for it.

Dr. Natasha Winters was diagnosed with stage IV ovarian cancer and cured it via keto diet. She has a book on the metabolic approach to cancer. So I guess there is one documented case.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:00 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,234,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
It isn't like the medical industry is going to do tests of Keto so people will have to use their anecdotal examples but there is lots of support for it.

Dr. Natasha Winters was diagnosed with stage IV ovarian cancer and cured it via keto diet. She has a book on the metabolic approach to cancer. So I guess there is one documented case.
What constitutes a "documented case"? Scores of regular folks on social media have done this already, and shared their results - for brain cancer, lung cancer, etc.

Not to mention mention, people have reversed type II diabetes and heart disease and shared their blood work/results every step of the way.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:06 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,234,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
While I can appreciate your enthusiasm, I would highly caution the use of the word "cure". It could also potentially harm some cancer patients.
Chemo therapy harms a whole lot of cancer patients. I'd say a low carb diet is a much safer alternative with few if any risks.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:06 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,719,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Brits might be onto something huge. There seems to be a way to harness our bodies own system to search and destroy cancers.

Immune discovery 'may treat all cancer'

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51182451

A newly-discovered part of our immune system could be harnessed to treat all cancers, say scientists.

The Cardiff University team discovered a method of killing prostate, breast, lung and other cancers in lab tests.

The findings, published in Nature Immunology, have not been tested in patients, but the researchers say they have "enormous potential".

Experts said that although the work was still at an early stage, it was very exciting.

What have they found?
Our immune system is our body's natural defence against infection, but it also attacks cancerous cells.

The scientists were looking for "unconventional" and previously undiscovered ways the immune system naturally attacks tumours.

What they found was a T-cell inside people's blood. This is an immune cell that can scan the body to assess whether there is a threat that needs to be eliminated.

The difference is this one could attack a wide range of cancers.
Crucially, it left normal tissues untouched.

Read more in link
The pain stories like these cause people searching for hope for themselves or loved ones. Don't suggest it unless its the real deal. Even it promising...often people can't afford the drugs or treatment or can't be part of studies.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:57 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,172,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Keto isn't a product pitched by a snake-oil salesman. It's just a diet. There are lots of anecdotal examples of it curing cancer. It's already doctor recommended as a supplement to chemo therapy.
Yeah right....Instead of cancer should it actually be a cure, the keto diet can kill you in a dozen other ways.I'll pass thank you..

The keto diet could cause low blood pressure, kidney stones, constipation, nutrient deficiencies and an increased risk of heart disease. Strict diets like keto could also cause social isolation or disordered eating. Keto is not safe for those with any conditions involving their pancreas, liver, thyroid or gallbladder.

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/for...-are-the-risks

Old 01-21-2020, 07:09 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,654,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
My daughter is a Micro Biologist who works with (controlled group) stage 4 cancer patients using experimental therapies, after president Trump gave the OK. Some leading edge stuff, way beyond me and kinda secret.

They function with grants as each therapy is developed, approved, and tried. It's a business model that exists similar to living paycheck to paycheck.
Why keep it secret? So they can sell it to the highest bidder for monopolistic putposes?

Old 01-21-2020, 07:15 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,834,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Why keep it secret? So they can sell it to the highest bidder for monopolistic putposes?
I think, call me crazy... but isn't most R&D work secret? In addition, sometimes false hope is the worst thing you can do for someone, who has no medical options left.

Why the dark view?

Old 01-21-2020, 07:21 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,654,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I think, call me crazy... but isn't most R&D work secret? In addition, sometimes false hope is the worst thing you can do for someone, who has no medical options left.

Why the dark view?
R&D work is kept secret between competing governments and corporations. I guess finding the cure is not open sourced. I wonder if it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.