Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 09:42 AM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I suppose Frisco has it's "quirks". Thankfully not a lot of that in AZ (so far):

https://www.yahoo.com/news/looters-r...141600425.html
Could it be that we're armed? Arizona also has a stand your ground statute or castle doctrine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 10:23 AM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I thought I read that AZ banned CRT from being taught. If so, they can't be going that blue, not yet anyway.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:54 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I thought I read that AZ banned CRT from being taught. If so, they can't be going that blue, not yet anyway.

The state legislature is still red as is the governor. 31-29 in the state house. Its narrowed over the past several years. But with that they can pass whatever they want.

House members in DC are 5-4 in favor of the dems and the have both senate seats. Big shift from years back.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 07-06-2021 at 09:02 PM..

Old 07-06-2021, 09:10 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
True. The issue is that the GOP is continuing to go to the right, even libertarian right a little too much. I think the budget as well as the audit is going to have ripple effects that might make Arizona blue and not on a national front like it has gone with Sinema and then Biden and Kelly. I think too many people are going to realize that the GOP needs to change to be more moderate and if it doesn't, the GOP is not an option until it is.
Here's a good analysis of where things are at.

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2021/0...o-rule-anyway/

We are in for a reckoning in this country this decade. We have two big things that threaten to rip this country apart. First is the climate crisis and the second is how to handle separation of church and state in a nation that's far less Christian. The Republican message just isn't selling to younger generations so instead of thinking maybe a little less gay bashing might help them win elections, they intend to take permanent power by any means necessary. The terrifying thing is, the gay bashing is what wins them elections in much of the country.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
One needs to be a more centrist GOP candidate in AZ. Look at McCain and Flake as the last two who won there. There are more blue voters than red now and a republican needs come cross over votes to win. The wacky Trump supporter candidates will not get that done.
The problem is the Party at least in Arizona doesn't want that. McCain was a large outlier to AZ Republicans at that point. I honestly think McCain won in 2016 on the fact he was an incumbent. Remember, McCain by this point was attacked on his war hero status by Trump and many bought into it. Many attacked McCain for not being conservative. He still somehow got the Republican nomination (then again he was against Dr. Kelli Ward.) I honestly didn't vote for him because of how long he was a Senator at that point, but liked him on policy. McCain wasn't liked for policy but was very likable.

Senator Flake by comparison was not all that likable and also was a fresh face. Had he ran in 2018, he would have been running against three Trump Republican options,, Sherrif Joe, Dr. Kelli Ward and Rep. McSally. All were Trump Republicans and he had proven not conservative enough with his complaints on Trump. There were town halls in 2014 that became contentious for Flake. And now in the post-Trump GOP (which at least in AZ had been going that way) it is all about the far right and conspiracy theorist ideals. Flake wasn't that.. I didn't like him for attacking Trump but always voting Party lines..

The biggest problem I see is that the GOP is in the conspiracy theory and lie, lie, lie mindset brought on by Trump.. at least before talking points were passable. Now it is just crazy. I mean Kari Lake, a governor candidate who was on Fox 10 is a perfect example of this. She will attack the media for their lies, while putting out conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory with an outright lie or talking point thrown in for good measure.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:10 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

We are in for a reckoning in this country this decade. We have two big things that threaten to rip this country apart. First is the climate crisis and the second is how to handle separation of church and state in a nation that's far less Christian. The Republican message just isn't selling to younger generations so instead of thinking maybe a little less gay bashing might help them win elections, they intend to take permanent power by any means necessary. The terrifying thing is, the gay bashing is what wins them elections in much of the country.
I think the article is off. There is in fact a method to what the GOP is doing and that is limit the opposition going to the ballot box. Arizona Republicans were fine with all the mail in ballots until they worried that Martha McSally could lose the 2018 Senate election. Then nationally Republicans became worried of similar problems during a mishandled pandemic. Surprisingly Trump got more votes in 2020 than he did in 2016, even if his percent largely stay the same (46.1% to 46.3%.) The GOP response is to make it harder in some areas to vote, not expand the base or do a moratorium report on what policy or policy failures caused them to lose. A number of states have or are in the process of making voting law changes in the backs of the 2020 election. Arizona being one in their budget bills. Namely that a prop has to have 55% of the vote too pass and the Legislature can change the prop law of it is unconstitutional.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:02 AM

35,681 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Hope Fl does too - purple blue be cool.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:21 AM

1,047 posts, read 725,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

I follow a lot of known gay republicans on social media. Who bashes them ? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies