Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 11:26 AM

19,995 posts, read 10,372,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I don't see a need for an undetectable knife. If you're using a knife for a legitimate purpose, what's wrong with a good ole steel blade? Cuomo is 100% right on this. NY has always been ahead of the curve on this issue. I remember when Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance Jr. busted a bunch of stores in NYC for selling illegal switchblade-style knives. Even Home Depot was selling them.

The whole knife culture that has grown up over the past few decades needs to be looked at. We haven't had serious knife legislation from US Congress since 1957.
Ceramic bladed knives are far better for some cooking uses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 11:32 AM

59,543 posts, read 27,866,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If they are "Undetectable Knives". How are they going to DETECT hem?

Old 08-14-2019, 11:36 AM

8,812 posts, read 4,999,903 times
So, technically, in addition to leaving my .38 behind, I’d have to leave my ceramic kitchen knives behind when we move there?

Does anybody actually think about these things, or is politics more like House of Cards than I wanted to believe?

Old 08-14-2019, 11:36 AM

6,058 posts, read 2,042,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I doubt this. But even if true, then sell these knives without a point, as they do in Britain. You don't need a point for cooking uses. You only need the point to stab someone. Also you could require that a chunk of metal be embedded into the handle so that the knife would not be undetectable. That would solve the issue.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Heck yes, vegetables get chopped way faster with our ceramic knives. They’re basically permasharp, they rule in the kitchen. I’m often sous chef to my wife, so I bought the ceramic set to make that role easier. Ceramic slicers are awesome too.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Heck yes, vegetables get chopped way faster with our ceramic knives. They’re basically permasharp, they rule in the kitchen. I’m often sous chef to my wife, so I bought the ceramic set to make that role easier. Ceramic slicers are awesome too.
But you don't need a point on the tip to chop veggies, do you? Anyway, it seems like laziness to me to never want to have to sharpen a kitchen knife. And it could cost jobs by putting knife sharpening companies out of business.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:16 PM

50,883 posts, read 47,807,912 times
Quote:
I doubt this. But even if true, then sell these knives without a point, as they do in Britain. You don't need a point for cooking uses. You only need the point to stab someone. Also you could require that a chunk of metal be embedded into the handle so that the knife would not be undetectable. That would solve the issue.
Slitting someone's throat isn't done with the pointy end. Your jugular is really close to the surface.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
But you don't need a point on the tip to chop veggies, do you? Anyway, it seems like laziness to me to never want to have to sharpen a kitchen knife. And it could cost jobs by putting knife sharpening companies out of business.
I’m not a knife enthusiast, but ceramic knives feel sharper than a freshly sharpened and honed steel blade. They just keep an edge longer.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:20 PM

732 posts, read 396,907 times
It's certainly easy to tell the value of knife laws. Some years ago, Arizona essentially dropped all restrictions on knives for those 21 and older.

Did their stabbing rate go up? Do they have more stabbings than California (which has the typical insanity of laws down to the city level)

Old 08-14-2019, 12:36 PM

So why not just require that any undetectable knife have a chunk of steel embedded, so that it would show up on a metal detector? You could take one of these undetectable knives into a jail, on an airplane, or into a courtroom. Something needs to be done here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies