Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 09:36 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,653,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
If they agreed to pay for their own abortions, would you try to stop them?
My boyfriend at the time & I paid for my abortion, no one else did, no matter how often & loud cons try to bleat that they're paying for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
They can sew it shut. Cheaper than an abortion.
How about we cut off all men's penises?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 12:16 PM

26,979 posts, read 16,002,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Imagination is idealistic not pragmatic !!! Its the art of BS, dwelling in the house of deception.

Eventually they will want the tax payer on the hook for it. Just as they do with abortions !!!
No doubt but unlikely to be legislated any time soon.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:20 PM

Just checked out condom price at Walmart; three for a buck eighty eight

Old 05-27-2019, 02:38 PM

23,855 posts, read 13,919,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It’s liberals who typically argue bc is not 100% effective and there will always be people who think pregnancy won’t happen to them and pass on bc regardless of the cost.
BC isn't 100% effective for preventing pregnancy. That's why these more recent restrictions are so crazy. But I think we can all agree that using BC is more effective than not using BC. And making it free would encourage more people to use it, especially teenagers, and also make it much easier to use multiple methods at the same time. If the goal is to prevent abortions, this is low-hanging fruit.

To make myself crystal clear, though, there will always be a need for legal abortion, even if BC ever becomes 100% effective. Rapists don't care about BC, and neither do conditions like eclampsia and anencephaly.

Quote:
I’m not sure lawmen in Mississippi or Alabama would be as tolerant as Chicago lawmen were in the Jane Collective era.
You're probably right about that. But that didn't stop the Underground Railroad during slave times, and it won't stop Janes.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:45 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,396,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Yep, Clarallel, no matter what the procedure, condoms, birth control pills, diaphrams, are always cheaper than a surgery. Pharmacies should be distributing these things as easy to get as M&Ms in a convenience store or CVS. THAT will bring down the abortion rate PDQ.
While I agree that we should be promoting effective birth control well ahead of abortion as an option, I don't know that there's a significant (10%+) portion of women who say "I got pregnant because I couldn't afford birth control and couldn't find it free anywhere."

Of course - Planned Parenthood and County Health Services generally distribute birth control. And the idea that we're just going to be OK with the thought process that says "I had enough money to have sex and have a child, but not enough to buy birth control" is pretty whack, isn't it?

Old 05-27-2019, 02:50 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,396,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
BC isn't 100% effective for preventing pregnancy. That's why these more recent restrictions are so crazy. But I think we can all agree that using BC is more effective than not using BC. And making it free would encourage more people to use it, especially teenagers, and also make it much easier to use multiple methods at the same time. If the goal is to prevent abortions, this is low-hanging fruit.

To make myself crystal clear, though, there will always be a need for legal abortion, even if BC ever becomes 100% effective. Rapists don't care about BC, and neither do conditions like eclampsia and anencephaly.
and this, for 90+% of folks, is a perfectly reasonable response as well. Why we're politically unable to agree on what 90% of folks agree on, and then compromise as best we can on the other 10% is a shame.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:01 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,989,187 times
Quote:
Ain’t that the most pragmatic way to protect a woman’s right to choose?
This irresponsible method of red states was already attempted when red states dumped their mentally ill to other states.

Nevada buses hundreds of mentally ill patients to cities around country

Old 05-27-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This irresponsible method of red states was already attempted when red states dumped their mentally ill to other states.

Nevada buses hundreds of mentally ill patients to cities around country
The red states won’t be doing the busing. It will be groups supporting abortion rights.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:09 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,989,187 times
Quote:
The red states won’t be doing the busing. It will be groups supporting abortion rights.
How would this be considered a solution for "pro-life?"

Old 05-27-2019, 03:51 PM

27,306 posts, read 16,342,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Who can sew what up? Are you suggesting women should sew their vaginal openings shut as a means of preventing pregnancy?
If they are stupid enough to have sex and can’t pay for the end result, then yes. Sew it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies