Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 01:18 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,825,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...maybe we just call it a 'belief' then everyone can take their bat and ball and go home to their respective camps...discussing the subject seems fruitless as the debate seems to be over a 'belief'.....and just whipping rocks at each other accomplishes nothing

...what i do find kinda strange is we have the biggest agriculture disaster in the history of the nation happening right now in the midwest, it will affect us next year and for years to come...yet, no one seems to be alarmed...but man we're all twisted up about what may/may not happen decades away....my 2 cents

Funny... I seem to remember the 500 year flood of 1993, in my lifetime, where I lost 2 vehicles, thousands worth in tools, all my furniture, two computers and accessories as well as just about everything I owned that I couldn't quickly get stuffed into the two vehicles I did manage to save.

Then there was this book titled, "The Grapes Of Wrath" which, while it may have been fiction, succinctly described the the plight of many during the mass exodus of people from the Midwest and South Central US to California to find work during the 1930's due to the Great Dust Bowl. One of the biggest differences between that huge 4 to 8 year (depending on the area) drought as well as the highest average temperatures ever recorded in the US and what is happening with the single year flooding of today is there are a whole lot of acres of farmland today that aren't flooding, especially when compared to the Great Dust Bowl.

Droughts come and go. In 2016 a study was published which caused the following headline from the UCLA Newsroom:
Quote:
Pacific Ocean’s response to greenhouse gases could extend California drought for centuries
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/09/...for-centuries/

Then in 2019 the following news release
Quote:
California's 'permanent drought' is now washed away by reality
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/03/...ay-by-reality/

Weather and climate are cyclical. They always have been... and they always will be. What isn't cyclical now, nor has it ever been, is the desire of charlatans and con artists to not only impose THEIR will, beliefs, morality and dictates upon society but to separate fools from their money in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 04:57 PM

33,572 posts, read 37,188,083 times
Ah ha, I see your problem...You get your info from Anthony Watts.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:34 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times
According to my engineering heat transfer textbook, carbon dioxide has a significant effect on radiative heat transfer. Specifically, carbon dioxide strongly absorbs infrared radiation.

The textbook was required for my heat transfer class. Is the entire mechanical engineering department at Penn State part of the vast global warming conspiracy?

Old 04-20-2019, 11:42 AM

15,113 posts, read 8,661,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
According to my engineering heat transfer textbook, carbon dioxide has a significant effect on radiative heat transfer. Specifically, carbon dioxide strongly absorbs infrared radiation.

The textbook was required for my heat transfer class. Is the entire mechanical engineering department at Penn State part of the vast global warming conspiracy?
Well, according to NASA Langly Research Center, C02 is a “cooling” gas, and that the “greenhouse gases” actually block solar radiation, reducing the heating effects of the Sun.

Furthermore, Dr. Willie Soon, astrophyicist and geoscientist at the Stellar Physics Division of Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics said “saying the climate system is completely dominated by how much co2 we have in the system is crazy. Temperatures are going down, while co2 levels are increasing”. He also said that its close to insane to keep insisting that increasing co2 will cause all of the disasters now being predicted.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:48 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Well, according to NASA Langly Research Center, C02 is a “cooling” gas, and that the “greenhouse gases” actually block solar radiation, reducing the heating effects of the Sun.
Please post a link to where NASA says CO2 is a cooling gas.

I’m a little mystified why you would trust NASA anyway, since NASA accepts AGW.

Greenhouse gasses do not block incoming solar radiation. Greenhouse gasses let short-wave solar radiation reach the earth’s surface, and block the long-wave earth radiation from going out. That’s why they are called greenhouse gasses.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:58 PM

33,572 posts, read 37,188,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post

Furthermore, Dr. Willie Soon, astrophyicist and geoscientist at the Stellar Physics Division of Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics said “saying the climate system is completely dominated by how much co2 we have in the system is crazy. Temperatures are going down, while co2 levels are increasing”. He also said that its close to insane to keep insisting that increasing co2 will cause all of the disasters now being predicted.
You are not understanding.

A fundamental prediction of climate change theory is that the upper atmosphere will cool in response to increasing carbon dioxide.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/Str...c_Cooling.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies