Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2019, 02:05 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,132,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
If it didn't matter why did you specifically take time to call her by your perception of her political status and the general attitude you subscribe to that status?

Again- they parents were a mixed bag politically which is a little schocking considering they are centered in very liberal states. So they were not making simple 'rich person' contributions to whoever was in power. You might get lucky with the next batch of parents and find some Dem superstars...
Well since you wish to dwell on the political side of it, please provide how many of these elites were Reps and how many were Dems.

Regardless, this is one of those "Trouble in paradise" situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 04:51 PM

78,491 posts, read 60,679,264 times
I support that they get a sentence commensurate with normal guidelines and their prior convictions etc.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:54 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,281,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Too bad, so sad.... That doesn't matter to me. I'm willing to be the vast majority of them aren't though.
Oh, well if you say so.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:01 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,661,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Hmmm. Just trying to figure out the difference between what this peon rich person did and what the uber rich do when they buy a building for the college. Bribes are bribes.
Quite a bit of difference.

When they bribe a Coach, they deprive the University of the "honest services" of the Coach.

When someone donates a building, they do not deprive the University of anyone's services.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,635,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
The donation was made 6 years ago when Ms. Young was only 12. I'm pretty sure she had other things in mind than which college to attend. Also, this was done in the public eye just like every other college does with large donations. I attended a college that had a business department named after a founder of a chain of retail stores. There was a building specifically for studying poultry science that was named after a family that founded a poultry company. The sports complexes all have a person's name prominently attached to them and they have been there for decades. That part is nothing new.

I'm almost certain that the college admissions forms don't have a field titled "How much money did your family donate to this institution?" Maybe she got some special treatment if someone recognized the name Andre Young. I wouldn't and I've listened to his music since the 1980's.

As far as we know, there were no bribes and she actually took her SAT/ACT test(s).
If you think she got in on her own merits, you must be waiting for the Easter Bunny.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:16 PM

26,757 posts, read 26,856,992 times
"The confidential report, reviewed by the Los Angeles Times, shows that years before the current college admissions scandal, UCLA knew of allegations that parents were pledging donations to its athletic program in exchange for their children being admitted to the university in violation of rules prohibiting the practice."

UCLA knew of a cash-for-admissions deal, years before the scandal:
https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...412-story.html

Old 04-12-2019, 08:28 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Silly question: What is the specific charge? Bribing a public official?
Money Laundering and Mail Fraud, from what I gather.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:35 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,548,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Loughlin's attitude through all of this has been appalling. She is treating this as a PR campaign, signing autographs and laughing and joking as she walks into the courthouse. She really, truly believes she should be above the law. I hope she does some time. I'd like to see that smug smirk wiped off that privileged face.

And yeah, that might sound petty, but damn, woman, show at least a little bit of remorse for the kids your greed and privilege denied a college education to. The abhorrent example she is setting for her daughters makes her a terrible parent.
I agree!

Old 04-15-2019, 09:16 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Loughlin's attitude through all of this has been appalling. She is treating this as a PR campaign, signing autographs and laughing and joking as she walks into the courthouse. She really, truly believes she should be above the law. I hope she does some time. I'd like to see that smug smirk wiped off that privileged face.

And yeah, that might sound petty, but damn, woman, show at least a little bit of remorse for the kids your greed and privilege denied a college education to. The abhorrent example she is setting for her daughters makes her a terrible parent.
She is pleading not guilty
Huffman pled guilty
Obviously different amounts and Loughlin and husband are both charged
The news seems to think going to trial is really a bad decision on her part—
Guess the husband will plead not guilty and go to trial too

One commentator also said that going to trial puts more pressure on the government prosecutors to look at the students as accessories who up to now have not been considered targets
Ergo more pressure on parents to admit guilt and take a deal...

Loughlin seems to have an attitude like they did nothing wrong (obviously from her plea)
What strategy are they thinking will work at trial?

Entrapment?
They weren’t the ones the authorities went after though—
A dad coughed up the info to get out of securities charge unrelated to this case...

Old 04-15-2019, 10:46 AM

2,106 posts, read 981,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
She is pleading not guilty
Huffman pled guilty
Obviously different amounts and Loughlin and husband are both charged
The news seems to think going to trial is really a bad decision on her part—
Guess the husband will plead not guilty and go to trial too

One commentator also said that going to trial puts more pressure on the government prosecutors to look at the students as accessories who up to now have not been considered targets
Ergo more pressure on parents to admit guilt and take a deal...

Loughlin seems to have an attitude like they did nothing wrong (obviously from her plea)
What strategy are they thinking will work at trial?

Entrapment?
They weren’t the ones the authorities went after though—
A dad coughed up the info to get out of securities charge unrelated to this case...

Sad in a way she cannot understand what she did wrong , but neither did her daughter bragging about skipping classes like it was a big joke , imagine your own child struggling in class and listening to this idiot bragging how easy college life is .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies