Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2019, 11:15 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,698,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Acosta had nothing to do with this part of it. This is the local authorities.

I would suspect at the time Acosta would have thought it a big win. He got a real heavy convicted of a felony and required to register as a sex offender. Given the wealth and the Epstein legal team he was seriously concerned with losing if he drove for a heavy conviction.

We now find Acosta wanting but the views in DofJ at the time were likely quite different.
Uh....ok, so you say Acosta had nothing to do with it then mention that DOJ was different because they.....didn't have enough courage to deal with it!

Surely you have seen the emails between DOJ and Epsteins attorneys?

"quoted emails exchanged during the tense negotiations between federal prosecutors and Epstein’s legal team, which included Roy Black, Jack Goldberger, Alan Dershowitz, Jay Lefkowitz and former Whitewater and Clinton prosecutor Kenneth Starr.

Those emails suggested ways in which both parties tried to keep Epstein’s victims in the dark, he said.

“The CVRA [Crime Victims’ Rights Act] was designed to protect victims’ rights and ensure their involvement in the criminal justice process...’’ Marra wrote.

“...Under the facts of this case, once the Government failed to advise the victims about its intention to enter into the [non-prosecution agreement], a violation of the CVRA occurred.’’
----------------------------------------------------------

Repeat after me....
1. Acosta WAS a local authority - a local brand of the DOJ
2. Acosta had something to do with ALL of this, as he has admitted himself and the records show.

Now, you can make up a new definition of "something to do with it", but we are better off looking at the circumstances in total.

Most of us were not aware that the world was so different in 2007. I was there - I don't remember much difference. Lots of people born since, lots died. The internet had already been around for 12 years commercially....

My Subaru was made then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 11:46 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,697,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Acosta had nothing to do with this part of it. This is the local authorities.

I would suspect at the time Acosta would have thought it a big win. He got a real heavy convicted of a felony and required to register as a sex offender. Given the wealth and the Epstein legal team he was seriously concerned with losing if he drove for a heavy conviction.

We now find Acosta wanting but the views in DofJ at the time were likely quite different.
While I don't disagree with this post, and do understand that Acosta's team was definitely outgunned, I believe that there was something sinister at work here.

Why did the prosecutors attempt to dissuade the victims from testifying? Why did Acosta lie about the meeting at the Marriott? Why were the victims not notified of the plea agreement? Why were the co-conspirators not charged?

The FBI had interviewed victims who had been transported across state lines for the purpose of prostitution, and had compiled a 53-page indictment, yet if Acosta thought he got "a big win" by getting a conviction on two state charges, I'm not buying what he's selling.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:51 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,878,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Uh....ok, so you say Acosta had nothing to do with it then mention that DOJ was different because they.....didn't have enough courage to deal with it!

"quoted emails exchanged during the tense negotiations between federal prosecutors and Epstein’s legal team, which included Roy Black, Jack Goldberger, Alan Dershowitz, Jay Lefkowitz and former Whitewater and Clinton prosecutor Kenneth Starr.

Those emails suggested ways in which both parties tried to keep Epstein’s victims in the dark, he said.

“The CVRA [Crime Victims’ Rights Act] was designed to protect victims’ rights and ensure their involvement in the criminal justice process...’’ Marra wrote.

“...Under the facts of this case, once the Government failed to advise the victims about its intention to enter into the [non-prosecution agreement], a violation of the CVRA occurred.’’

Repeat after me....
2. Acosta had something to do with ALL of this, as he has admitted himself and the records show.

Now, you can make up a new definition of "something to do with it", but we are better off looking at the circumstances in total.

Most of us were not aware that the world was so different in 2007. I was there - I don't remember much difference. Lots of people born since, lots died. The internet had already been around for 12 years commercially....

My Subaru was made then.
Also, Acosta was meeting with Epstein's team by himself.

He was up to his neck in this.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:58 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,697,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Also, Acosta was meeting with Epstein's team by himself.

He was up to his neck in this.
Acosta used private email to contact the defense team, but preferred to communicate by phone or in person, as there would not be a paper trail. Hmmmm.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:01 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,376,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Repeat after me....

My Subaru was made then.
Sorry but you are simply wrong. The present discussion is of the conditions of Epstein's imprisonment not the deal with DofJ. And the conditions were a local law enforcement call not Acosta or Dofj.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:06 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,878,242 times
Palm Beach County seems to be a hotbed of shenanigans.

Read about John Mark Dougan, a disgruntled ex-cop who fled to Russia, where Vladimir’s Putin’s government granted him asylum status.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fugiti...is-latest-hoax

Any wonder it is known as "Corruption county?"

Old 07-21-2019, 03:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,376,991 times
Default Could Epstein be in even more trouble...

Vanity Fair claims he was running around with young gals in recent years based on input from the Airport on St. Thomas.

This would of course take care of the double jeopardy problem if true.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...private-island

Old 07-21-2019, 04:07 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,587,571 times
Then there is the matter of a court ordering the release of sealed records involving one of Jeffery Epstein's recruiters. The alleged victim wants it released, the recruiter (madam) claims there is too much press (aka public) interest in its contents.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeffre...leged-sex-ring

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 07-21-2019 at 04:16 PM..

Old 07-21-2019, 04:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,698,207 times
Looks like trafficking isn't high up on the list of things the Trump admin thinks are of import.

"Federal prosecutions of sex trafficking under the same law that is currently being used to prosecute Jeffrey Epstein have decreased each year under the Trump administration, according to a new analysis from Syracuse University's Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC) system.

If the current pace of sex trafficking prosecutions remains, the number of these cases the Justice Department decides to prosecute will have fallen nearly 27 percent year over year by the end of September. This represents a steep reversal of Obama-era trends that saw sex trafficking prosecutions rise nearly every year and more than double over the eight-year period from 2009 through 2016."

Like everything else, this must be coincidental. Trump is so busy destroying NK nuke facilities and fixing health care that he might have overlooked human trafficking.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:08 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I still can't get over that Acosta could arrange such a sweet deal and end up as Secretary of Labor.
I can. It was part of the good ole boy club of which trump belongs to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies