Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:02 PM

793 posts, read 2,221,644 times

Advertisements

That is what I see today. Most rich I see are very lazy. Trust me I have work as a janitor in a government building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 11:35 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,163,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djf863000 View Post
That is what I see today. Most rich I see are very lazy. Trust me I have work as a janitor in a government building.
Can I ask what kind of rich people you see in a government building? I imagine that rich people would send their lawyers to a government building and very rarely have any reason to show up there themselves. Maybe, we have different definitions of rich. Please enlighten me.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:03 AM

8,419 posts, read 16,285,788 times
Originally Posted by laysayfair
Quote:
Maybe, we have different definitions of rich. Please enlighten me.
It never is the 'poor' who are in control.
So I'd guess that in America being rich actually means being powerful (or have the backing of the elite).

Old 04-28-2008, 07:11 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,966,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Why is slavery still an issue in the United States? Chances are there is nobody on this forum who has lived through slavery, or their parents and possibly their grandparents or even great grandparents. It was a terrible part of our history but was stopped. Why continue to bring something up that has happened so long ago?
For the same reason Americans of Italian, Irish, German heritage talk about the arrival of their ancestors at Ellis Island. Slavery is a part of American History.

I just do not get it with alot of you people! I cannot believe that so many of you really expect for Black people, and American society to forget about slavery and sweep it under the carpet like it never happened...while you people continue to celebrate and hold on to the History of your European cultures.

Last edited by dorado0359; 04-28-2008 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: error

Old 04-28-2008, 07:18 PM

10,650 posts, read 10,779,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There's still slavery...the poor are enslaved by the rich. It doesn't matter that people receive WAGES for their work, they cannot expect to get anywhere, except in the same rut.
IT's the other way around! I'm enslaved by the poor "I'm entitled" crowd. If I want to maintain my lifestyle and support more non hackers I have to work harder.... Work harder so someone else can take what I earn.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Can I ask what kind of rich people you see in a government building? I imagine that rich people would send their lawyers to a government building and very rarely have any reason to show up there themselves. Maybe, we have different definitions of rich. Please enlighten me.
Ok if you want some examples. This is a paper bin just beside their desks or very close to it, but they still pull all their paper in the garbage. some had 95% of just paper in the garbage every day. couldn't they have put it in the paper bin instead? No that is too much to do. People dropping their coffee cup on the floor and just leaving it there. People starting on a new toilet paper roll or paper towel roll when there is still half left on the other.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:51 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,163,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djf863000 View Post
Ok if you want some examples. This is a paper bin just beside their desks or very close to it, but they still pull all their paper in the garbage. some had 95% of just paper in the garbage every day. couldn't they have put it in the paper bin instead? No that is too much to do. People dropping their coffee cup on the floor and just leaving it there. People starting on a new toilet paper roll or paper towel roll when there is still half left on the other.
So the people who have jobs in this government building are "rich"? I never think of bureaucrats and government workers as "rich". I think of people with yachts and estates as "rich". I think you might have proved that people who work for the government tend to be lazy but I not sure you've made your case about the "rich".

Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 PM

i mean people working in the ministries. I work in the ministry of Transport, but had many other section, like Health, Geology, finance, geometric, Traffic, education, labor.....

Old 04-28-2008, 09:10 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,226,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
For the same reason Americans of Italian, Irish, German heritage talk about the arrival of their ancestors at Ellis Island. Slavery is a part of American History.

I just do not get it with alot of you people! I cannot believe that so many of you really expect for Black people, and American society to forget about slavery and sweep it under the carpet like it never happened...while you people continue to celebrate and hold on to the History of your European cultures.
I have read through many of the slavery posts on this forum and I don't believe any posters have said slavery should be forgotten, no reasonable person is trying to pretend it never happened. It is a part of American history, it is taught and even the most ignorant bored teenager knows that slavery happened and that it was abolished because it was absolutely wrong.

White people who are living today should not be blamed for slavery or be called evil because of something that happened so long ago. Black people living today certainly do still face discrimination, but none were ever or will ever be slaves. A very small percentage of very rich selfish people who happened to be white perpetrated slavery, a larger percentage were opposed to it, and did the right thing by supporting the end of it. White people also fought against slavery, abolishonists, helpers of the underground railroad. It sometimes feels as if only the evils are remembered and any good people did is forgotten.

The tragedies of the past can and will be remembered, but people must move forward into the future for things to get better. If black and white people continue to see it as us versus them we will never unite and I find that sad.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:19 PM

437 posts, read 633,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
A very small percentage of very rich selfish people who happened to be white perpetrated slavery, a larger percentage were opposed to it, and did the right thing by supporting the end of it.
Uh...hooray? Let's pat ourselves on the back for ending something that we started! I swear, only white people can get away with this kind of circlejerk.

Quote:
It sometimes feels as if only the evils are remembered and any good people did is forgotten.
Funny. I've heard African-Americans say the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies