Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 04:59 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times

Advertisements

I got back a $500 tax refund while my peers with children are getting a $10,000 tax refund due to the the child tax credit and the EITC. Democrats want me to resent the rich and say they don't pay enough taxes. No way...the rich pay most of the taxes. They deserve another tax cut. The ones who need their taxes raised are the ones getting these $10,000 refunds. Cut their EITC into shreads and eliminate their child tax credits. If they want to have children fine but they should pay all expenses and get no tax credits whatsoever.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:18 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I got back a $500 tax refund while my peers with children are getting a $10,000 tax refund due to the the child tax credit and the EITC. Democrats want me to resent the rich and say they don't pay enough taxes. No way...the rich pay most of the taxes. They deserve another tax cut. The ones who need their taxes raised are the ones getting these $10,000 refunds. Cut their EITC into shreads and eliminate their child tax credits. If they want to have children fine but they should pay all expenses and get no tax credits whatsoever.
This could be true in a sense that many poor people will now bring more and more kids just in order to suck more from the system.
Many of these kids will then be at the mercy of streets and foster homes because parents will spend those tax refund checks on drugs and alcohol.

These unfortunate kids were actually never intended to be brought to the world with intention to be riaised with love and affection, to be sent to school and become positive contributing members to our country.

We will contribute towards building a society with more psychiatric patients and more crime.

Remember, you usually spend wisely when you have worked hard to earn the money - but when you get it for free, it gets spent on all on the wrong places.

We need to strike a balance between these tax laws.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:26 AM

45,222 posts, read 26,431,296 times
The EITC welfare scheme should at a minimum be renamed honestly as the Unearned Income Wealth Transfer, but in reality it should just be abolished.
All taxation is theft and welfare schemes like EITC and CTC where the recipients receive tax refunds greater than what they had paid in taxes, should really drive that point home

Old 02-16-2019, 05:29 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
That's why everyone needs to have some skin in the game. No matter how poor you are - which means you and your kids get Medicaid, food stamps, subsidized housing, free lunches and breakfasts at school, etc., - everyone needs to pay a minimum of $60 a year in federal income tax. Besides raising a fortune from the half (!!!) of all Americans who pay nothing at all, people who have skin in the game would appreciate everything the government gives them.

This also applies to doctor visits. It's unfair that I, a middle class earner, cannot afford the 3x a week physical therapy - at $140 a session - recommended by my doctor while poor people whom I am subsidizing are provided it free of charge. I say $10 co-pay for every visit, and $25 at the ER (unless it's a true emergency, in which case it drops to $10).

And P.S. Before liberals berate me for not having health insurance, I do....bought off the Obamacare exchange. Translation: I have to pay for everything anyway.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:30 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
I agree. EVERYONE should be paying the same amount in taxes. Even CHILDREN should be taxed the same and the parents responsible for paying the tax until they are of working age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The EITC welfare scheme should at a minimum be renamed honestly as the Unearned Income Wealth Transfer, but in reality it should just be abolished.
All taxation is theft and welfare schemes like EITC and CTC where the recipients receive tax refunds greater than what they had paid in taxes, should really drive that point home
Let's use AOC's term and call it the "Unwilling to Work Transfer."

45,222 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That's why everyone needs to have some skin in the game. No matter how poor you are - which means you and your kids get Medicaid, food stamps, subsidized housing, free lunches and breakfasts at school, etc., - everyone needs to pay a minimum of $60 a year in federal income tax. Besides raising a fortune from the half (!!!) of all Americans who pay nothing at all, people who have skin in the game would appreciate everything the government gives them.

This also applies to doctor visits. It's unfair that I, a middle class earner, cannot afford the 3x a week physical therapy - at $140 a session - recommended by my doctor while poor people whom I am subsidizing are provided it free of charge. I say $10 co-pay for every visit, and $25 at the ER (unless it's a true emergency, in which case it drops to $10).
Everyone needs to pay for their own stuff by way of user fees or rely on the charity of others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Let's use AOC's term and call it the "Unwilling to Work Transfer."
Of course that works too.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I agree. EVERYONE should be paying the same amount in taxes. Even CHILDREN should be taxed the same and the parents responsible for paying the tax until they are of working age.
He never said everyone should be taxed the same. But everyone, other than the disabled and elderly, should have a minimum required tax.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:13 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,320,226 times
The ultra rich and ultra poor have the lowest effective tax rates, while the middle and merely rich take it on the chin

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...axes-for-real/

http://wesmckinney.com/blog/thoughts-on-taxes/

Old 02-16-2019, 01:20 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Count yourself lucky. I always end up owing thousands.

Although I'm glad to not give the government an interest-free loan, it pisses me off because ALREADY they bite off such a large chunk of my pay. And then I find out that it wasn't enough. :/

I am completely in favor of eliminating tax benefits for pumping out babies that parents can't afford. You should be your kid's meal ticket, not vice versa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies