Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2019, 05:20 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Just wait for the
climate change emergency
homelessness emergency
health insurance emergency
Yep..

The rational repubs are disgusted with Trump. They know it is unlikely to stand but they also know if it did it would be a major disaster for the right wing.

We are coming into election cycle where repubs are defending a lot more sentate seats than dems are..
Trump is doing his party no favors...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 05:23 PM

8,567 posts, read 10,989,435 times
I think the President made a big mistake today, and he has shown me he is not the brightest bulb in the circuit.
Either he, and his advisors know nothing about the military option regarding the border wall, or he is just plain stupid.
Toward the end of his speech today he stated it will go to court, then another court, and wind up in the scotus.
What he should have said was, "Today I am declaring a national emergency at the southern border, and promptly will instruct the united states military to begin plans to construct the wall".
That would have sent a message to not only congress, but the rest of the world, that he means what he says.
I never thought the day would come, but it has, and I firmly believe Mr, Trump is full of s...

All this could have been avoided if he chose the military option, which is guaranteed to him under the constitution.
Obviously those advising him are not aware the military is at the President's disposal.
Now, instead of getting started on this project, it will be tied up in court for years.
Once the first claim is made in any court, the president is powerless to call upon the military to get involved in the wall.
I am extremely disappointed in Trump today.
He had the opposition right by the balls, and he blew the opportunity, big time.

I believe what he did today, is going to have a devastating impact on his chances to be re-elected.

Dumb, dumb move on his part.

Bob.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
My Sheriff, who appeared with Trump at the White House, tells me it is a National Emergency and the FEDS will not give them help. All of the police, in my area, feared Hillary being elected as that would put their lives in worse danger. The Texas Border Patrol says that it is a National Emergency. No one else has a say, in my book.
Cool story can you prove it???

Because my local sheriff told me that Trump is lying and they don't need help... And he is a Republican....

See unless you can show us more your story is just a story...ie noise. Let be frank. You are telling us that someone who supports Trump is supporting Trump..

You are not telling that a neutral or balanced source told you this but instead a source who has a well known agenda.....

Old 02-15-2019, 05:32 PM

24,650 posts, read 9,477,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Just wait for the
climate change emergency
homelessness emergency
The courts will determine that too.

If people are upset of the use of Trump's powers, perhaps the constitution is outdated. The left is clearly mad that they didn't think of it first.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:41 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
This is how the GOP gets to kick him to the curb and let him go it alone. At least this wall thing can drag on long enough to be a carrot on a stick for his people. Its fun watching a modern day Sisyphus. That big rock just rolled back down the hill for the second time.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:43 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
My Sheriff, who appeared with Trump at the White House, tells me it is a National Emergency and the FEDS will not give them help. All of the police, in my area, feared Hillary being elected as that would put their lives in worse danger. The Texas Border Patrol says that it is a National Emergency. No one else has a say, in my book.

Why be coy? Name the sheriff.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:43 PM

6,739 posts, read 4,424,565 times
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale
Just wait for the
climate change emergency
homelessness emergency

The courts will determine that too.

If people are upset of the use of Trump's powers, perhaps the constitution is outdated. The left is clearly mad that they didn't think of it first.

Trump was always good in the past at getting his hands on money. And judging from his past, pi***ng it away and leaving others holding the bag. Same ol' Trump. Just now getting his hands on money meant for something else, and using it for his means. Now guess who is holding the bag.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:58 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
It may get worse. A couple of weeks ago, Trump said something about "military eminent domain." No one knew what he meant, which is not unusual when he speaks.

Lots of comment about eminent domain lawsuits filed in state courts holding up any building. This is what the National Emergencies Act can do:

"Under the powers delegated by such statutes, the President may seize property, organize and control the means of production, seize commodities, assign military forces abroad, institute martial law, seize and control all transportation and communication, regulate the operation of private enterprise, restrict travel, and, in a variety of ways, control the lives of United States citizens."
https://www.usnews.com/news/national...ly-declare-one

So are we about to have the Federal government now seizing land in Texas? Outside of the normal judicial process?

That'll sure go over well. This is just beginning.
“Military eminent domain” = “plunder”.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
This is how the GOP gets to kick him to the curb and let him go it alone. At least this wall thing can drag on long enough to be a carrot on a stick for his people. Its fun watching a modern day Sisyphus. That big rock just rolled back down the hill for the second time.
I agree, mitch and Ryan got what they wanted, ie a dumb hand to sign and that they can later blame ..

Mitch , handed Trump the shovel so that Trump could keep digging the hole that will bury his admin...

Mitch got his stolen seats filled... He is now trying to isolate Trump from the party to save what can be saved in the 2020 cycle.

Hopefully Trump will not step down and will lose votes all the way down the ticket...

Old 02-15-2019, 06:08 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,598,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Of course Trump will declare a national emergency to get his way. Trump is like a spoiled child - he has to "win", regardless of the consequences.

This misuse of power will have big ramifications down the road. First, his misappropriation of funds will be contested in court for years to come. Secondly, it may force Congress to consider legislation to reduce the power of the President to issue executive orders. Up until Trump, we thought we could trust a President with these powers. Now we have learned our lesson.

Trump personifies the classic syndrome of "nouveau riche", those who have acquired wealth and have no clue how to manage or preserve it, ending up by frittering it all away. As he is showing us, this syndrome also applies to political power. He fits into our political system about as well as the "Beverly Hillbillies" did into the society of urban California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies