Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 AM

29,668 posts, read 9,864,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Except, that in post 5400, you also used "POE" and this exact same poster (normstad), at that point did not have a problem with POE.....

So, I have to wonder what's the problem now, and why did they not complain earlier? Or are they just trying to be superior, as most lefties?
Post 5,400!

Sounds like a lot, but sometimes it takes a lot of back-and-forth before everyone starts to gain new perspective, reconsider their original assumptions, reflect on their partisan bias and finally see and understand what they didn't before. Ultimately recognizing the error in their ways and reconciling these sorts of differences like critical thinking adults should be able.

Ha! I just crack myself up sometimes!

Here's to another 5,400 comments to nowhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 11:35 AM

46,445 posts, read 27,316,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Post 5,400!

Sounds like a lot, but sometimes it takes a lot of back-and-forth before everyone starts to gain new perspective, reconsider their original assumptions, reflect on their partisan bias and finally see and understand what they didn't before. Ultimately recognizing the error in their ways and reconciling these sorts of differences like critical thinking adults should be able.

Ha! I just crack myself up sometimes!

Here's to another 5,400 comments to nowhere...

Not sure what that has to do with the content of my post....but hey, keep cracking yourself up....

Old 02-03-2019, 11:52 AM

29,668 posts, read 9,864,530 times
Quote:
Not sure what that has to do with the content of my post....but hey, keep cracking yourself up....
I stopped thinking you would understand my comments in general a long time ago. Are you still trying?

I was using your comment, specifically the count of comments, to make a point, perhaps to others who might understand the point and maybe even the humor. Wasn't intended for you in any case. At ease...

Old 02-03-2019, 12:18 PM

8,531 posts, read 3,387,739 times
Quote:
Except, that in post 5400, you also used "POE" and this exact same poster (normstad), at that point did not have a problem with POE.....

So, I have to wonder what's the problem now, and why did they not complain earlier? Or are they just trying to be superior, as most lefties?
On this (and the other) immigration threads, there do not appear to be many "leftie" posts. Or at least the immigration activist perspective has not been developed.

Personally, I self-identify as moderate on these issues. No problem, for example, with taking other Americans into account on the 11+ million current illegal question resulting in a compromise. Maybe not deporting but no path to citizenship.

For the wall, my problem is that Trump is not considering other Americans, specifically in the Rio Grande Valley.

True, that may not be an either-or proposition but it becomes more clearcut when Trump then attempts to circumvent Congress.

All the while greatly distorting the facts-on-the-ground with attempts to use humanitarian talking points.

THIS ^^^ arguably for his personal political benefit. THAT I find objectionable - highly.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
On this (and the other) immigration threads, there do not appear to be many "leftie" posts. Or at least the immigration activist perspective has not been developed.

Personally, I self-identify as moderate on these issues. No problem, for example, with taking other Americans into account on the 11+ million current illegal question resulting in a compromise. Maybe not deporting but no path to citizenship.

For the wall, my problem is that Trump is not considering other Americans, specifically in the Rio Grande Valley.

True, that may not be an either-or proposition but it becomes more clearcut when Trump then attempts to circumvent Congress.

All the while greatly distorting the facts-on-the-ground with attempts to use humanitarian talking points.

THIS ^^^ arguably for his personal political benefit. THAT I find objectionable - highly.

The lefty comment was not directed at you...it was directed at normstad, since he/she already made a comment on one of your posts that used POE, and did not say anything...then when you use POE again, he/she then calls you out about it.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I stopped thinking you would understand my comments in general a long time ago. Are you still trying?

I was using your comment, specifically the count of comments, to make a point, perhaps to others who might understand the point and maybe even the humor. Wasn't intended for you in any case. At ease...

You assume your comments are understandable....

Old 02-03-2019, 12:42 PM

8,531 posts, read 3,387,739 times
Quote:
The lefty comment was not directed at you...it was directed at normstad, since he/she already made a comment on one of your posts that used POE, and did not say anything...then when you use POE again, he/she then calls you out about it.
That was clear, but thanks.

That post just had the leftie reference. It plus comments made online on the Cantu book by immigration activists made me realize there really haven't been far-left comments on this forum much - at least on this issue.

There are folks out there who do support more open borders - want to restrict ICE - view the border patrol as abusive - and find the wall a human-rights issue.

Most of the wall discussion is between those taking moderate views (not that all posters are themselves moderate) and far-right posters.

Maybe that's wrong ...

Old 02-03-2019, 01:22 PM

11,403 posts, read 4,115,051 times
Welp, we're only 12 days away from shutdown #2.

Trump still says he wants full funding for his wall, and Pelosi says he'll get nothing for the wall, but is willing to give plenty of money towards border security.

Trump has lost all leverage as he's already reopened gov't without getting anything for his wall.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:07 PM

22,586 posts, read 12,158,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You still pounding that drum?

2006 has been explained to you countless times.

Walls work in populated areas to funnel people to checkpoints. Works best if there are agents monitoring the situation. Out in isolated areas, not so much.

Recently, the page on the Border Patrol Union website about how there were better methods than a wall was deleted. Pretty obvious why that occurred.

Aside from the fact that there is no plan, no total cost estimates, and seizing the land will be a ton of trouble, Trump's wall would cede the Rio Grande to Mexico.

It is a dumb idea meant to rally dumb people.

If the Republicans go along with it, they are doomed.
And things have been explained to you "countless times" --- and that doesn't stop you from posting the same thing again and again

And, again, you demand to see a plan before any work is done. You seem unaware that part of the funding will be used to plan the project.

Why is it that you have no problem when we give billions in aid to third world countries without asking them what their plan is for the money?

Old 02-04-2019, 05:44 AM

9,634 posts, read 6,054,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
And things have been explained to you "countless times" --- and that doesn't stop you from posting the same thing again and again

And, again, you demand to see a plan before any work is done. You seem unaware that part of the funding will be used to plan the project.

Why is it that you have no problem when we give billions in aid to third world countries without asking them what their plan is for the money?
in that case they get approval for funds to plan it, and plan it only. You don't approve budgets with no plan. No plan means you don't know what it'll cost. So how can you ask for the money to do it if you don't know what it'll cost?

You can't.

Derka durr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies