Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:29 AM

702 posts, read 543,255 times

Advertisements

OP sounds like a peach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,306 posts, read 1,713,607 times
One thing I was surprised to learn in another thread is that some military families are on food stamps. I hate to see them suffer as not only are they working, they are working at a job that most Americans won't do. It makes me wonder why we don't pay them enough/a living wage.

20,868 posts, read 23,635,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Exactly! Why can't these lefties in this forum see this? Trump was willing to negotiate but Schumer and Pelosi were not. He asked a question and Pelosi resoundingly said NO! What part of that aren't these lefties in here getting?

Oh please. Pence offered $2.5 billion and then Trump said no that the number is $5.7 billion. Dems are offering $1.3 Billion which was the original amount the Senate approved, Trump said he would sign, until Coulter slammed Trump for it. And then Trump backed out and will accept nothing else. How is that negotiating?

Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 AM

1,874 posts, read 822,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
I read that people might not get their food stamps, rental assistance, and disaster relief if there is a prolonged government shutdown lasting several months or years.

Personally, I don't believe food stamps, rental assistance, or disaster relief should be the responsibility of the government. Why don't people work for what they have like I had to do my whole life rather than depending on the government for food and housing? As far as disaster relief goes, maintaining homeowner's insurance is an individual's responsibility. That is part of the cost of home ownership. The taxpayer shouldn't bear the burden of people irresponsible enough to go uninsured.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?
it passed away

Old 01-10-2019, 10:31 AM

3,321 posts, read 2,359,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Shouldn't food inspectors be essential? Who's the idiot that decided food inspectors were non essential? The FDA can just make them essential if it's a problem. I work in government, management can make anyone essential that they want to. The reason all these positions across our government aren't essential that end up causing problems during times like these is purely political.
That's the problem with the whole essential vs. non-essential. Some people who are really essential are currently sitting at home, while paper pushers are still working, and in some cases, still getting paid.

I guess you could argue that's the problem with government as a whole. It's not concerned about efficiency, it doesn't have to be, since it can just print up or steal more money.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:32 AM

1,874 posts, read 822,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sure. Tell the 16 millions kids on food stamps to get a job.
they might not exist without food stamps

Old 01-10-2019, 10:34 AM

702 posts, read 543,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
they might not exist without food stamps

I mean, they just published the story that Americans are not having enough children to replace the population, so you think we're having too many kids? Or just the "wrong" people are having kids?

Old 01-10-2019, 10:35 AM

15,153 posts, read 11,664,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDeKalb View Post
This is nothing more than political theater. As a businessman, Individual 1 solicits cheap labor from illegal immigrants one minute then demonizes them for political leverage the next.

The fact is only 6 non-US citizens were identified as possible terror threats attempting to gain entry via southern US/Mexico border while 41 attempted to penetrate the northern US/Canadian border during the same time frame.

Where’s the sense of urgency to secure our northern border? This is about our safety and stats show that the northern border is the more immanent terror threat. Where’s the northern border wall GoFundMe effort?
Um..because the Canadian government actually respects our border, The government of Mexico should be sanctioned for not doing enough

Old 01-10-2019, 10:35 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,792,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
I read that people might not get their food stamps, rental assistance, and disaster relief if there is a prolonged government shutdown lasting several months or years.

Personally, I don't believe food stamps, rental assistance, or disaster relief should be the responsibility of the government. Why don't people work for what they have like I had to do my whole life rather than depending on the government for food and housing? As far as disaster relief goes, maintaining homeowner's insurance is an individual's responsibility. That is part of the cost of home ownership. The taxpayer shouldn't bear the burden of people irresponsible enough to go uninsured.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?
BING friggin O
We work, they eat.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:36 AM

14,101 posts, read 5,709,013 times
A permanent destruction o the state entirely wouldn't be a bad thing. This shutdown is just the most minor little tease of proper anarchism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies