Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 01:43 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,066,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I feel horrific that there are people who truly believe that being paid to kill others is somehow honorable.

They don't go and kill government leaders who start all the fights. They kill people who are exactly like them, with families and kids and loved ones who mourn just as deeply for their losses as do the families of US soldiers. What would happen if a govt declared a war and no soldiers showed up? No war.

I realize I am in the very, very small minority. So be it. Veterans Day is very somber, for very, very different reasons than most. I have no desire to debate anyone, just wanted to put this viewpoint out there. I feel very sad for the soldiers, all around.
We still believe in and fought for your right to make these statements. You’re welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 01:58 PM

30,669 posts, read 19,369,876 times
I don't think I need to be thanked but I never had any really bad experiences in the military and feel proud that I did serve in the military. I do give thanks to the current soldiers and those injured and the families of those that died acting on military orders.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:27 PM

39,340 posts, read 27,734,151 times
Quote:
I feel horrific that there are people who truly believe that being paid to kill others is somehow honorable.

They don't go and kill government leaders who start all the fights. They kill people who are exactly like them, with families and kids and loved ones who mourn just as deeply for their losses as do the families of US soldiers. What would happen if a govt declared a war and no soldiers showed up? No war.

I realize I am in the very, very small minority. So be it. Veterans Day is very somber, for very, very different reasons than most. I have no desire to debate anyone, just wanted to put this viewpoint out there. I feel very sad for the soldiers, all around.
Yet you chose Veteran's day to put your viewpoint out there. I simply don't understand people like you and I am not trying to be mean.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:29 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,859,276 times
Thank you Vets.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:37 PM

6,268 posts, read 5,089,285 times
Quote:

I have no desire to debate anyone either but I believe this saying:

People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf

Thank you to our veterans. All of them. Over centuries. And that includes my husband and my son.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:41 PM

29,532 posts, read 22,792,969 times
Thank you to all veterans past and present.

Serving alongside my brothers in arms was an honor and the highlight of my life.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:06 PM

11,389 posts, read 16,776,870 times
Thanking all those who have served.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:24 PM

1,378 posts, read 740,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Here in the P&OC forum, we spend most of our time debating issues that are important to us. Often, the military, veterans, active duty servicemen/women, etc. will play a part in our discussions. So while this thread will not be controversial or political in nature, I still think this forum is a good place for this thread.

So, without further delay, let me simply say thank you, to all our vets and service members both here on City Data and elsewhere across our country and the world. I may not have agreed with every course of action or every conflict our country has been involved in over the years, but I will never fail to acknowledge the personal sacrifices made by the soldiers who fought, and died serving our country. I salute you all for your courage and conviction. And for all active duty vets, I wish you a safe return from any future engagements. You, and those who came before you, are the first and last defense this country has against tyranny. Thank you all for your service and sacrifice.

They are not owed a thank you. They are doing a job that they signed up for and they get a lot of benefits for that job. If they were drafted, that would be a different story.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:28 PM

1,378 posts, read 740,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Today is Veterans' Day.... the fact that we are able to freely argue & discuss & think out loud is due to a lot of 18+ year olds who spilled blood for this privilege. As a diehard progressive I say we always honor those who sacrificed so much so that we can live & protest freely today.

Thanks to all the vets here
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
We still believe in and fought for your right to make these statements. You’re welcome.
More Fake News...

Our first amendment rights are not due to 18 year olds, its due to our constitution that gives us this right. Our first amendment rights have never been in danger and it has nothing to do with the military.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:39 PM

39,340 posts, read 27,734,151 times
Regardless how you feel about the military and American foreign policy, some of you act like spoiled little child.

OP: Today is Veteran's day! Thanks to all our vets and active duty servicemen/women.

Some of you: I don't want to say thank you.

Get over yourself already! It's not all about you or your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies