Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 05:34 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,383,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Tough call.

Pelosi was a pretty bad speaker before and has some characteristics of a leftist loon.

But someone younger might actually make her look reasonable.
Thank you for the concern trolling. Now back to your daily rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 05:38 PM

10,551 posts, read 4,081,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You would think the Democrats would know by now she is a political liability.

Half the Republican commercials I see mention Pelosi.
She probably has dirt on some of the big players, and it's how she retains her control. But, people like her, and many of congress on both sides of the isle, need to go. It's why we need term limits for congress.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Most of the newby Democratic candidates have said they don't support Pelosi. That doesn't stop their Republican counterparts from saying the Democratic candidates support her. I know a Republican candidate is as dumb as they get when they bring up Pelosi.

They bring up Pelosi more than they bring up the economy.

How stupid can you be?!
It's because congressional Repubs can't run on the issues - the tax cuts have been shown to be unpopular, and getting rid of Obamacare has been shown to be unpopular. So all they can do is to trot out the old cultural issues and the old boogeywoman spectre - even though it hasn't been all that effective:

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politi...t-appear-moved

Old 11-05-2018, 06:34 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,434,350 times
Pelosi is exactly like McConnell. They are both completely tactical creatures who seek whatever advantage of the moment that comes for their party, and both are very skilled at grabbing those advantages.

Nancy is not liked by the rank and file of her party, or by about half of the Democrats in Congress. But she wrangles the Democratic caucus with the same skill and ability McConnell wrangles his Republicans in the Senate. That makes both of them unpopular, but they are too valuable to be shoved aside easily. And just like Mitch, Nancy likes it like that.

They both are doing their best to hang on for as long as they can. That's the way they have both been all their lives.

Until someone comes along who is better at it than they are, their leadership won't be changing. It will be up to their voters to decide if and when it is time for them to leave.

I fully expect the election that sees Nancy defeated will the the same one where Mitch is defeated too.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
That's their business. This is like asking how many stalls I want in the Congressional restrooms. Not my concern.

They should do whatever they want to do. Politics is the art of the possible.

Now, if you took away all the BS and I had standing in front of me the "brain dumps" of Pelosi, Ryan and Trump - that is, their knowledge of the process, record of getting things done and political experience there is absolutely no contest. Nancy knows her stuff.

I like young people in politics but not as, for example, the speaker. Ryan showed us how little he did. Then again, Boner didn't do anything either. But, given the choice, I'd want a Speaker to have decades of experience in street-level politics.

Funny. Pelosi has outlasted her counterpart, Ryan, a fella about 30 years younger than her. Who started her congressional career at the same age as Ryan is today (47). So who's "too old" and can't hang?

Old 11-05-2018, 09:08 PM

32,140 posts, read 15,132,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Which ones?
Beto for one. Where are the young standout republicans

Old 11-05-2018, 09:13 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,124,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I mean, thats a big IF..but do dems really want Pelosi to be speaker? Or would they prefer someone else?
Pelosi is your bogeyman. Any and every Democrat in her position would be the Right's lightning rod. You fell for the dumb nonsense about Pelosi being some uniquely evil witch, but suddenly put the most center-Right Democrat in her place and you'd be saying the exact same thing.

That being said... I do want someone new and different leading the party. This leadership role can't be a lifetime position. Hand the baton off on principle.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:18 PM

Default Pelosi as boogeywoman isn't a particularly effective tactic

A Washington Post-ABC News poll conducted Aug. 26-29 posed the question, “Is supporting a candidate who shares your opinion on Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic leader of the House, important to you in the congressional election this fall, or not important?”

“Not important” was the most common answer, reported by 43 percent of respondents. Sixteen percent said it was somewhat important, 20 percent said very important and 14 percent said extremely important, while 7 percent had no opinion.

Before that, a CNN poll conducted Aug. 9-12 also found that only 34 percent of voters identified Pelosi as an issue that was very or extremely important to their vote. Twice as many, 68 percent, said the same of Trump. Pelosi ranked the lowest in importance among the 10 issues presented to voters in the survey.

“Republicans are on the brink of losing their House Majority and they are flailing,” Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill said. “Poll after poll shows that attacking Nancy Pelosi just isn’t the Hail Mary they hoped it would be. Their strategy to hold the Majority is crumbling before their eyes.”

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politi...t-appear-moved

Old 11-06-2018, 12:56 AM

5,127 posts, read 2,604,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
How stupid can you be?!
that question is treated as a challenge when asked of Democrats as they keep 1uping each other on the stupid scale.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:34 AM

31,132 posts, read 22,168,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Totally agree.

The critical mistake that democrats keep making is the failure to acknowledge that we are, in essence, a moderate country. The vast majority of people in the US have moderate political beliefs... neither too conservative nor too liberal. Most of us are somewhere in the middle, so dems are wasting their time pushing candidates that are extreme left.

People are also tired of these stubborn old fogies in congress who refuse to work in a bipartisan manner, resulting in things never getting done.

Centrism is really the only way this country will function like a well-oiled machine. Moderate policies, moderate politicians working with one another other and reaching compromises on issues.
Yep, thats why I left the party for Independent. Dems went Sanctuary Cities, lets pretend we dont have Islamic Terrorism in this country, and covered for Obama's destruction of Libya and almost Syria. Repubs stayed the same and moved more moderate on gay marriage, and more Right on abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies