Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there be a second US civil war at some point?
Yes 53 34.64%
No 100 65.36%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 05:27 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,349,565 times

Advertisements

The kavanaugh confirmation certainly didn't help trump unite this country...not like he really cared about uniting to begin with. I've never seen a Scotus nominee act so undignified in a job invite.

Trump's entire shtick has been to rile up gullible right wingers against blacks, Hispanics etc

It's a sad and scary time to be an American. Putin is probably happy beyond his widest dreams.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...oll/740731002/

Amid widespread political polarization on issues like immigration and recent public confrontations of Trump administration officials, 31 percent of probable U.S. voters surveyed said they think "it's likely that the United States will experience a second civil war sometime in the next five years."

Democrats at 37 percent were slightly more fearful of a second civil war than Republicans at 32 percent, the poll from Rasmussen Reports found.

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/col...t-ii-20181005/

“When I walked out of the Pentagon after 28 years in uniform, I never thought I’d say this, but what is going on politically in America today is a far graver threat than any our nation faced during my career, including the Soviet Union. And it’s because this threat is here and now, right at home, and it’s coming from within us. I guess the irony of being a great nation is the only power who can bring you down is yourself.”

When I look at all the people today who are propelling their political careers and fattening their wallets by dividing us, I cannot help but wonder: Do these people go home at night to some offshore island where none of this matters? Do these people really think their kids aren’t going to pay for the venom they sell and spread? Don’t worry, I know the answer: They aren’t thinking and they aren’t going to stop it.

What stops it? When a majority of Americans, who are still center-left and center-right, come together and vote only for lawmakers who have the courage to demand a stop to it — now, right now, not just when they are leaving office or on their death beds.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:38 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,222,350 times
While I wish it would happen, it won't.

A Civil War requires the support of corporate interests who would stand to benefit from a Civil War/secession/etc. The people don't actually matter, and never did. Not in this country, and not in any other country. The common people aren't leaders, they are only soldiers. Who would organize them? Anyone capable of leading anyone, is already doing well, and has too much to lose.

The more-likely scenario is that the government clamps down on freedom of speech, the media, the internet, etc. To bring about stability or "law and order", and the overwhelming majority of corporate-interests would go along with it(including their media arms), because there simply aren't many corporations who would benefit from a Civil-War.

The moment this division begins to threaten the state, the state will be forced to react, or America will become Libya.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:05 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,247,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
The kavanaugh confirmation certainly didn't help trump unite this country...not like he really cared about uniting to begin with. I've never seen a Scotus nominee act so undignified in a job invite.

Trump's entire shtick has been to rile up gullible right wingers against blacks, Hispanics etc

It's a sad and scary time to be an American. Putin is probably happy beyond his widest dreams.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...oll/740731002/

Amid widespread political polarization on issues like immigration and recent public confrontations of Trump administration officials, 31 percent of probable U.S. voters surveyed said they think "it's likely that the United States will experience a second civil war sometime in the next five years."

Democrats at 37 percent were slightly more fearful of a second civil war than Republicans at 32 percent, the poll from Rasmussen Reports found.

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/col...t-ii-20181005/

“When I walked out of the Pentagon after 28 years in uniform, I never thought I’d say this, but what is going on politically in America today is a far graver threat than any our nation faced during my career, including the Soviet Union. And it’s because this threat is here and now, right at home, and it’s coming from within us. I guess the irony of being a great nation is the only power who can bring you down is yourself.”

When I look at all the people today who are propelling their political careers and fattening their wallets by dividing us, I cannot help but wonder: Do these people go home at night to some offshore island where none of this matters? Do these people really think their kids aren’t going to pay for the venom they sell and spread? Don’t worry, I know the answer: They aren’t thinking and they aren’t going to stop it.

What stops it? When a majority of Americans, who are still center-left and center-right, come together and vote only for lawmakers who have the courage to demand a stop to it — now, right now, not just when they are leaving office or on their death beds.
What is really going on are massive temper tantrums by the liberal whiners who see their hopes for a bloated government slipping away.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
What is really going on are massive temper tantrums by the liberal whiners who see their hopes for a bloated government slipping away.
Except trump is running deficits worse than any liberal right now.

Moderator cut: flaming

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-07-2018 at 08:25 AM..

Old 10-07-2018, 06:27 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,247,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Except trump is running deficits worse than any liberal right now.

Moderator cut: flaming
Show me a president who didn’t run deficits.

Be glad I am not in charge. A wall will be built, welfare would end and the UN defunded. Bet that balances the budget.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-07-2018 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 10-07-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Show me a president who didn’t run deficits.

Be glad I am not in charge. A wall will be built, welfare would end and the UN defunded. Bet that balances the budget.
So now deficits don't matter? Let me guess...because republicans are in charge? It's amazing what hypocrites so called "conservatives" turn into when the deficits are trillion dollars annually....

Until Medicare and ss are reformed, the deficit is going nowhere but up. The tax cuts only have made the problem worse. Clearly you don't know much on deficits except for what comes out of right wing talking points

Old 10-07-2018, 07:03 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,365,602 times
Quote:
This is what is happening.

We've heard all the ridiculous doomsday scenarios spewed by the left if Trump took office and not one thing came to pass. In fact, the opposite happened.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:24 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,650,859 times
There will never again be an actual civil war on the scale of the War Between the States. The way things are now there is just no way seceding states can muster organized forces, establish line of communication, equip and supply, and set up a government of their own. Especially if the federal government represents the force being rebelled against. There's this little matter of force projection in the air on land and at sea seceding states would not have nor would they be able to retain control of needed resources.

A large and organized armed force(s) needs food, medical resources, weapons and scads of ammunition, clothing ( as in actual uniforms) for all extremes of weather, and in a war fighting situation proper command infrastructure that can give it clear objectives tactically and strategically.

Seceding states are likely to be separated today by thousands of miles making clear lines of battle and the latter would be extremely difficult to obtain. Lines of battle would be almost impossible to establish and a clear objective in occupying territory and holding it on the offensive forget it. A real civil war is just not something even likely to happen.

Scattered civil conflict just might take off. Left and right squaring off and duking it out with the government trying to maintain order. But that is not a war. Civil unrest but hardly real civil war. When these civil war threads come up I just don't think that all the permutations are being taken into account as to what actual war entails in modern times.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:28 AM

12,045 posts, read 6,587,017 times
Democrats with their mob rule, their encouragement of violence toward any opposing views, their character assasinating, dividing us up and creating tensions over race/gender/religion, and their guilty until proven innocent agenda have revealed a scary vision for the future If they take over congress in November midterms.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:40 AM

24,438 posts, read 23,107,566 times
The Deep State could declare war on the citizenry, they've probably researched it to death. But we'd have the US military on our side. I don't see how they'd top them unless they called in aliens from outer space or hijacked nukes or released a plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies