Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:26 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,875,586 times

Advertisements

I can't change your mind, as it all depends on perspective and the individual.

There are those who will vote for, and blindly follow their preferred political party regardless... and then there are those like myself who, while aligned with a party, picks and chooses elements of various parties that are positive, and takes candidates on individual merit rather than party affiliation.

Generally speaking, I would most religious people won't entirely stray from their chosen religion in terms of their beliefs.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:32 AM

13,652 posts, read 4,962,881 times
You're right, there are many similarities between political parties and religions. Both have their doctrines, which they demand their members adhere to.

Both portray the opposing parties, or religions, to be vile, evildoers, or consisting of poor misguided followers.

Both promise great things if you follow their doctrines, and terrible things if you follow the opponents.

One difference, in theory: a person could be convinced to change parties based on objective evidence. For example, if massive tax cuts result in huge debt and a recession, one might decide that the party of tax cuts is not as smart as you thought. A religion, on the other hand, is impervious to evidence because no one can ever prove or disprove the existence of God or heaven.

I said in theory, because people are subject to what's known as confirmation bias - they tend to interpret data in a way that confirms their pre-existing beliefs. One reason why right and left can't seem to agree on anything in this country.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,710,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
You're right, there are many similarities between political parties and religions. Both have their doctrines, which they demand their members adhere to.

Both portray the opposing parties, or religions, to be vile, evildoers, or consisting of poor misguided followers.

Both promise great things if you follow their doctrines, and terrible things if you follow the opponents.

One difference, in theory: a person could be convinced to change parties based on objective evidence. For example, if massive tax cuts result in huge debt and a recession, one might decide that the party of tax cuts is not as smart as you thought. A religion, on the other hand, is impervious to evidence because no one can ever prove or disprove the existence of God or heaven.

I said in theory, because people are subject to what's known as confirmation bias - they tend to interpret data in a way that confirms their pre-existing beliefs. One reason why right and left can't seem to agree on anything in this country.

People are no longer free to change their minds, once logic and reason has been seated firmly?
Free People with Liberty, do not run from one religion to the other?

It is the people that have more rights than religion. We call that the power of the free individual.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:45 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,097,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I can't change your mind, because that's exactly how you see politics. As a religion.

Others don't. Others don't feel any need to follow completely, but rather, always view their leadership with open eyes, and a willingness to decide their leaders could be wrong.

But those who follow Trump and Jones, yes, you're very right. They follow those political leaders with true religious zeal.
Nailed it, I agree 100%.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:29 AM

25,916 posts, read 18,919,401 times
Actually, worse than religions. I am subject to political parties. I am not subject to religions unless I choose to be.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:49 AM

13,652 posts, read 4,962,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
People are no longer free to change their minds, once logic and reason has been seated firmly?
Free People with Liberty, do not run from one religion to the other?

It is the people that have more rights than religion. We call that the power of the free individual.
Not sure what you are saying.

But back to our agreement that religion and politics are similar, it is therefore wise for a person not to be snookered by either political party or a religion. A healthy skepticism is the best course.

The most honest person is the agnostic. Because none of us truly knows if God exists. Same for the political agnostic, because no one has exclusive access to the truth.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:02 AM

977 posts, read 569,455 times
Political parties and religions are similar in that both are excuses to avoid having to think about issues for yourself. This is obvious in the case of religions, but too often people use party identity in the same way. For instance we are conditioned to believe that if you believe in lower taxes and fiscal responsibility in government, that you must also believe many other totally unrelated things, such as that abortions should always be illegal, that homosexual people should not get married, that there should be no gun control laws, and a whole host of other things. Likewise, if you believe in increased social welfare programs and higher taxes, you also must believe that abortion should not be restricted, that we should have more gun control laws, that we should mostly not enforce laws regarding illegal immigrants, etc. Are there really no people who favor tax cuts and are pro-choice? Are there really no people who favor increasing spending on entitlement programs but favor border security?

This is relatively new in American politics, BTW. I do remember in the 70's and 80's, just using abortion arbitrarily as an example, that there were pro-choice Republicans and pro-life Democrats.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:07 AM

639 posts, read 249,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm no lawyer, I'm no Judge.
What I do is think about and analyze things.

It is not hard, to debate before logic & reason, to draw the parallels of a Political party, be it Republican or Democrat or Libertarian, Green...... is no different than a religious sect. Catholic, Muslim, Hindu, Jewish, Lutheran, Episcopalian, Baptist.

Change My Mind.
I agree...its why I am NONE of those.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:23 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,408,313 times
A religion and a political party's relationship with each other can be at odds with the idea of separating church from state.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:11 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,710,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Not sure what you are saying.

But back to our agreement that religion and politics are similar, it is therefore wise for a person not to be snookered by either political party or a religion. A healthy skepticism is the best course.

The most honest person is the agnostic. Because none of us truly knows if God exists. Same for the political agnostic, because no one has exclusive access to the truth.

How many Muslims have left and become a Christian?
How many non-religious people are suddenly swept up in Islam?
How many Christians, lose all faith?
I was replying to the thought stated, "people don't change religions"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.