Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 09:56 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times

Advertisements

Teaching irresponsible people to be responsible when they are already adults ain’t easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 09:59 PM

24,650 posts, read 9,477,090 times
Everyone usually supports welfare.. Until they realize it’s a financial incentive and subsidy for poor single parents to keep being poor and single. It was an emergency fund that has been transformed into a way of life.

Welfare doesn’t necessarily have to go away, but it needs to be reformed. Only 2 parent working households should be entitled to welfare.

Not the endles single parent households, raising kids without fathers, then we get shocked when kids from all these dysfuctional households grow up and shoot up Southside Chicago everyday

Well duh, there was no father in the house. Working fathers in the house are a huge finacial disadvantage (loss of benefits, more taxes) when poor people seem to maximize their welfare benefits. So consequently they don’t get married nor keep father in the house period.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:00 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,118,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
In other words, you're against creating a welfare class of dependents suckling off the workers...same as Conservatives.
LOL and this is why I don't describe myself as a conservative.

The poor have always existed regardless of whether there is welfare or not. Welfare was created from a noble objective. And I believe in this objective. I believe we as a society ought to continue to find a solution to solve poverty. I just don't believe the current welfare system is a solution at all.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:02 PM

24,650 posts, read 9,477,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Teaching irresponsible people to be responsible when they are already adults ain’t easy.
It’s not easy to tech them when they’re kids either. Self-victimization is conditioned, learned, and taught at a very young age. Hence the reason such folks are known to dropout out of high school, get pregnant, join gangs, commits crimes as a minor, etc.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:12 PM

10,491 posts, read 4,051,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Maybe since you are not a conservative you won't get attacked for your opinion.

Whatever the solution is, the people who control the means to "fix" the problem have to want it fixed.

Teach a man to fish.
Hard to teach that man to fish when you need money to ask the government's permission to fish. Easier just to take the hand out.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:20 PM

25,776 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
So throw money at them? Not the greatest solution. Rewarding bad behavior isn't going to help.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,772,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
: No one spends someone else's money as carefully as he spends his own money.

!
Here is a flaw in your statement and why it's simplistic. When you get money from the government it's your money and you have to choice but to spend it as wisely as possible becuase it is a limited amount. People who work spend their money foolishly too, some not all.

Some people love spending other people's money. I know one person who loves spending their father's money, not that he has a lot but they don't hesitate to ask him for it and spend it foolishly when it's given.

Look at how our government spends billions of our dollars foolishly because it was given to them. So in some aspects your point is true but not in all.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:39 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
The words “liberal” and “conservative” have become meaningless. There are plenty of self-identified “liberals” bitching about freeloaders from Republican states. There are plenty of self-identified “conservatives” saying that businesses need to create good paying jobs to support local communities. That’s totally backwards, historically.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:42 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,280,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
So throw money at them? Not the greatest solution. Rewarding bad behavior isn't going to help.
True....but giving them no money might equal more crime just to survive

Old 08-06-2018, 07:16 AM

34,940 posts, read 36,280,152 times
I'm completely in favor of training and educating poor people and giving them job assistance and free childcare so they can work for a living instead of needing welfare, food stamps, etc.

I'm not in favor of cutting off assistance and telling people who have no clue how that they need to pull themselves up by the bootstraps.

I don't know anyone who WANTS people to keep on not being trained/educated and living off welfare when they are able to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies