Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should average automaker fleet mpg be raised to 50+ mpg by 2025, even if it causes car prices to sky
Yes 45 46.39%
No 52 53.61%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 11:01 AM

937 posts, read 935,131 times

Advertisements

YES

The private automobile is hella subsidized.

American have NEVER paid the true cost of a motor vehicle (including damage and maintenance of the public way).

We should be pushing the cost of cars UP and refining zoning policies, city designs and inner-city transportation networks.

No - is bipartisan and asinine dishonesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 12:04 PM

47,140 posts, read 26,364,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Lol because individuals and business concerns wouldnt want an efficient way to move goods and people from one coast to another. My god you folks are so myopic.
This is a textbook example of overall efficiency and local optimization being at odds with each other.

See, no single company actually moved freight from coast to coast. And as it turns out, a railroad design that serves the entire US - including track gauge and loading gauge - is a compromise, because what works well in a locale with lots of room and little elevation difference can be a terrible decision for a railroad that needs to build bridges and tunnels and narrow turns. Each little and not-so-little railroad company optimized, in most cases quite competently, for their corner of the world and their mode of operation. That worked great until they started meeting up, because reloading freight between different companies' rolling stock was immensely wasteful. So it's funny that you should use the word "myopic", because it describes the railroad companies' attitude pretty well.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:06 PM

14,242 posts, read 5,814,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Right. Let’s start making Corvairs again.
The Corvair being more unsafe than other small cars of the pony era is a myth.
Quote:
In 1972, the Department of Transportation, published the results of a comparison of the Corvair to other cars in its class including the Ford Falcon, Plymouth Valiant, Volkswagen, and Renault and concluded "...that the handling and stability of the 1960-1963 Corvair does not result in an abnormal potential for loss of control or rollover.....". Most of the bad press about the nasty handling characteristics of the early Corvair was highly exagerated, although GM did eventually add a front anti sway bar and a transverse leaf spring to address the camber issue. In 1965, the rear suspension was totally redesigned with a fully articulated suspension that eliminated the severe camber changes. Ironically, the late model cars are considered some of the best handling cars made in their day.
more...
Quote:
...these [safety] design errors only apply to original unaltered Corvairs from 1962. After the problems of the Corvairs were realized by third-party manufacturers and mechanics, aftermarket parts that made the vehicle safer became rather common. One of the most common solutions employed by mechanics involved attaching brackets to the chassis of the Corvair. This reduced the pressure placed on the front of the vehicle and handling improved. By 1964, these aftermarket repairs were no longer necessary; Chevrolet implemented safer designs for all new Corvairs.
Notice how none of Chevrolet or 3rd party aftermarket manufacturers needed the government telling them to do anything, they simply figured it out and did it themselves? Why...it's as if negative publicity and a decline in sales prompted a manufacturer to improve their product? OMG...is the free market really that easy? Why yes, yes it is.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:25 PM

52,735 posts, read 53,297,623 times
It seems like 54 mpg would be a bit of a stretch. Not sure what technical hurdles this would impose on car manufactures and in turn how much negative impact it would realistically have at the consumer level. I think that there should be some standard mpg as a general rule, how to implement it and get down into the weeds in detail, I don't know.

My MIL is really upset that Trump is doing this but I didn't have enough facts at the time she talked about it to say one way or the other. She has a major case of Trump derangement syndrome and you can't really have a fact based discussion with her. She heard the word Trump and his position and she was instantly against it. I'm not a real trump fan so whatever, I let her rant I guess.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:00 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,083,912 times
I wonder how many of those who voted yes actually drive really fuel efficient vehicles.
Judging from what I see on the road not too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies