Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 06:59 AM

27,073 posts, read 12,109,679 times

Advertisements

Yes...

the story makes me so angry. If the wife told dispatch or the arriving cops what the husband was wearing and that the intruder was naked, where in the hell was the error made? Shoot first and ask questions later???

I heard the police dept spokesman say there was a mix up, defending the officers who killed the man. Well, someone should pay for that mixup that ended in murder. Another case where a bullet to incapacitate would have saved a man's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 07:03 AM

7,448 posts, read 2,872,462 times
Pretty simple, cops should be armed but should have to face the exact same level of scrutiny and procedures as an average citizen would in the case of them actually utilizing their weapons. No more benefit of the doubt, no more paid administrative leave then just getting fired in situations where a normal person would get 15-20 years in jail when they mess up.

The cop says:
Oh I accidentally killed the wrong person, so I got fired.

The citizen says:
Oh I accidentally killed a person so I got 15 years in jail.

There is an obvious imbalance here.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:19 AM

50,898 posts, read 47,901,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Yes...

the story makes me so angry. If the wife told dispatch or the arriving cops what the husband was wearing and that the intruder was naked, where in the hell was the error made? Shoot first and ask questions later???

I heard the police dept spokesman say there was a mix up, defending the officers who killed the man. Well, someone should pay for that mixup that ended in murder. Another case where a bullet to incapacitate would have saved a man's life.
You never shoot unless you want them dead. EVER

I've seen deer shot in the rear die from the energy of the impact

Old 08-02-2018, 07:22 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,569,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
SM police almost took out Ving Rhames as I'm sure you heard by now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d29f18cdae31

Why an officer's gun was drawn and pointing at a man opening his own door is beyond me but there ya go.

At least they knocked first. Kind of interesting because I don't know too many burglars who open the door for guests when they are looting a home.

Been in the CJ field for quite awhile too.

*shrug*
Don't skip the part where the cops were called on him in the first place.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:42 AM

11,403 posts, read 4,145,038 times
Goodness, this is terrible. I hope the cop loses his job, "paid administrative leave" my ass. RIP Mr. Black and prayers to his family. Though I know it won't bring him back, I hope the family is awarded millions by the department. Hit them where it hurts, financially.

The police system in this country is broken. We really need to increase pay for police officers so we can get more people applying for the job so we can weed out some of the less qualified who have no business carrying a firearm and a badge.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:14 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,581,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Don't skip the part where the cops were called on him in the first place.
That was the action of a private citizen.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:13 PM

79,911 posts, read 44,710,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Yes...

Now it comes out this officer was placed back on the street early from a previous shooting that hadn't even been fully investigated yet.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:50 PM

5,906 posts, read 3,222,913 times
Thoughts and prayers. LOL

Old 08-02-2018, 05:45 PM

11,125 posts, read 5,683,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Goodness, this is terrible. I hope the cop loses his job, "paid administrative leave" my ass. RIP Mr. Black and prayers to his family. Though I know it won't bring him back, I hope the family is awarded millions by the department. Hit them where it hurts, financially.

The police system in this country is broken. We really need to increase pay for police officers so we can get more people applying for the job so we can weed out some of the less qualified who have no business carrying a firearm and a badge.

That's been tried and it doesn't work. If you pay more and require a higher level of education, you get the bottom-end of the well-educated.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:31 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,542,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Bullcrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
How do you know he didn't? Granted he's white so you don't really care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
1) Can you tell us what the guy was told to do? I can't find it in the reports.

2) It is not true that if you comply you don't have to worry about getting shot; that is a myth:

Oscar Grant was killed while he was under police control. Amadou Diallo was killed while he was complying with police orders. Philando Castile was killed while he was complying with police orders. Tamir Rice, a 12 year old boy with a toy had no time to comply. He was killed within seconds of receiving police orders. Eric Garner was killed while he was in a banned police chokehold. Akai Gurley, not under arrest in any way, was killed when he unknowingly walked up a stairwell that was occupied by an armed police officer who was on an unrelated investigation. Yvette Smith was killed immediately after opening her door to police responding to a domestic disturbance call. Charles Kinsey was shot when he was on his back on the ground with his hands up. Alton Sterling was killed while he was on his back on the ground being held down by police. Eric Harris, similar situation. Victor White III somehow shot himself to death while handcuffed in the back seat of a police car. Chavis Carter, similar situation. Kenneth Chamberlain was killed when his Life Alert alarm went off accidentally and police responded and he explained and they shot him.
Hey fellas..it’s called sarcasm. Ease up. Geez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies