Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:10 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times

Advertisements

A few Americans, including Erik Prince and Jared Kushner, have attempted to create a back channel with Russia, what is the possibility that it exists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 08:13 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
I don't think that you understand how the executive branch of our government works. To put it bluntly.

Donald Trump is the president. He doesn't need a "back channel". He can just pick up the phone. He doesn't require anyone's permission to speak with anyone in the world, nor to make that conversation private / classified.

The progressives and Neoliberals / Neocons did not win the election. This attempt to try to social shame and pressure the president into limiting his prerogative to conduct diplomacy and basic communication as he wishes is both new and will backfire horrendously for you. Guaranteed.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:18 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
This is the internet age. Anyone can easily create back channel communication with anyone else. I'm sure all governments do this.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
I would guess that every president has since at the very least the Cuban missile crisis.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,783,484 times
All of trumps channels are open to Putin.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
I don't think that you understand how the executive branch of our government works. To put it bluntly.

Donald Trump is the president. He doesn't need a "back channel". He can just pick up the phone. He doesn't require anyone's permission to speak with anyone in the world, nor to make that conversation private / classified. The progressives did not win the election. This attempt to try to social shame and pressure the president into limiting his prerogative to conduct diplomacy and basic communication as he wishes is both new and will backfire horrendously for you. Guaranteed.
Politics aside, Jared and Erik both attempted to create a back channel after Trump was already elected, and therefore, to put it bluntly, your point is mute.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...59c_story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...?noredirect=on

Old 07-22-2018, 08:23 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
I heard it was created with 2 empty soup cans and a really really long piece of string.

Can you hear me know?

Old 07-22-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This is the internet age. Anyone can easily create back channel communication with anyone else. I'm sure all governments do this.
Absolutely, I more than understand that but I am asking if it’s possible that Trump and Putin/Russia are, somehow, communicating outside of established diplomatic and secure channels?

Old 07-22-2018, 08:25 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Politics aside, Jared and Erik both attempted to create a back channel after Trump was already elected, and therefore, to put it bluntly, your point is mute.
You mean "your point is moot"? To put it bluntly.

First, why not post evidence for your claims so that we don't have to guess what you are referring to and can have a conversation?

Aside from that, you asked if Donald Trump has a backchannel.

I answered and said that he didn't need one. Being elected is not being President. He is now President. Thus, he does not require one. He has all of the communication privacy and privilege that he could ever want or need built into the office that he currently holds.

So, no, my point is not mute.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:31 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Let's see. Does he have a secure phone line to just about every Leader in the world. Yes he does.

And he needs no ones permission to use them.

Being President of the US has certain perks. Ask Bill Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies