Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 08:51 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,692,373 times

Advertisements

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...wage-increases

Well, now its official. All those tax cuts, the amazing first 18 months and all that MAGAing has resulted in....well....LESS for the average joe or jane....

"U.S. inflation accelerated in May to the fastest pace in more than six years, reinforcing the Federal Reserve’s outlook for gradual interest-rate hikes while eroding wage gains that remain relatively tepid despite an 18-year low in unemployment."

So, let me get this straight. Interest rates are going to GO UP...which will fix this? That is, if we get those wage earners to earn less and be able to buy less....this will fix the problem(s)?

Also, all the theories about how wages will have to spurt up (big time!) when we have low unemployment have been shot to hell. Why?

One thing for sure....no MAGA is showing in those figures. When will MAGA kick in? I'm thinking that the "better health care for all at a MUCH better deal" should be about ready now. I think that is what many people need...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 08:53 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,093,392 times
https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/...22543757504513

Old 06-12-2018, 09:39 AM

45,613 posts, read 27,230,182 times
I know the typical reaction from anti Trump crowd is to make things seem terrible... if you read the article from the OP...

The consumer price index rose 0.2 percent from the previous month and 2.8 percent from a year earlier, matching estimates, a Labor Department report showed Tuesday. The annual gain was the biggest since February 2012 and follows a 2.5 percent increase in April. Excluding food and energy, the core gauge was up 0.2 percent from the prior month and 2.2 percent from May 2017, also matching the median estimates of economists.

The Fed’s preferred gauge of inflation -- a separate consumption-based figure from the Commerce Department -- came in at the central bank’s 2 percent goal during March and April, and the figure tends to run slightly below the Labor Department’s CPI.

In other words, this is expected... we are not turning into Venezuela.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:50 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I know the typical reaction from anti Trump crowd is to make things seem terrible... if you read the article from the OP...

The consumer price index rose 0.2 percent from the previous month and 2.8 percent from a year earlier, matching estimates, a Labor Department report showed Tuesday. The annual gain was the biggest since February 2012 and follows a 2.5 percent increase in April. Excluding food and energy, the core gauge was up 0.2 percent from the prior month and 2.2 percent from May 2017, also matching the median estimates of economists.

The Fed’s preferred gauge of inflation -- a separate consumption-based figure from the Commerce Department -- came in at the central bank’s 2 percent goal during March and April, and the figure tends to run slightly below the Labor Department’s CPI.

In other words, this is expected... we are not turning into Venezuela.
As expected doesn't mean it isn't cause for concern or a negative. The tax cuts and trade wars were meant to better the forecast not meet them.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:57 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,505,104 times
I have noticed price increases over the past several months on supermarket food items which I regularly purchase. Inflation is starting to be noticed. This week interest rates will likely rise again - I think tomorrow will be the fed announcement on interest rates.

Trumpists don't get your feelings hurt and get all defensive.

Economic timing has been waiting for inflation to occur for some time and it's expected.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:00 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,340,813 times
This is the setup for a period of stagflation. Stagnant demand, flat wages, slowing job growth and rising prices.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:02 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,174,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Also, all the theories about how wages will have to spurt up (big time!) when we have low unemployment have been shot to hell. Why?
Corporations are not "trickling down" their tax cuts to their employees. "Corporate America, flush with cash from President Trump's tax cuts, is buying back stock at a record pace." (CNN Money)

Most CEO's and BOD members get a significant portion of their compensation from stock options. Buybacks reduce the number of shares outstanding and therefore make the price per share go up, which in turn inflates the value of the CEO's options. And who is funding all of these stock option riches? The American public is because tax cuts are being funded by federal deficit financing. It's all a huge scam.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:07 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I have noticed price increases over the past several months on supermarket food items which I regularly purchase. Inflation is starting to be noticed. This week interest rates will likely rise again - I think tomorrow will be the fed announcement on interest rates.

Trumpists don't get your feelings hurt and get all defensive.

Economic timing has been waiting for inflation to occur for some time and it's expected.
When gas prices go up, food prices go up.
Those "bonuses" that people may have gotten with the tax cuts are long gone.
And now with these increases in daily costs, many have less buying power than they did at the beginning of the year.

But hey, ZTE can spy on us again.
MAGA.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:10 AM

45,613 posts, read 27,230,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
As expected doesn't mean it isn't cause for concern or a negative. The tax cuts and trade wars were meant to better the forecast not meet them.
Maybe what is happening is trending towards a more natural ebb and flow freer market like we used to have...

Old 06-12-2018, 10:13 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,911,772 times
Wait till the counter tariffs hit next month. Ouch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies